Skip to content

Beast in the Cave (Minor Spoiler)

Anyone manage to kill the
green dragon Morentherene in the forest cave outside the temple yet? If so, how?

Tears through my lvl 9/10 party like tissue paper even with the standard protections.

Comments

• IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    edited April 2016

Yep Dev Console does it every time!

Wait...that's not how you're supposed to do it is it? :)
  • InconnuInconnu Member Posts: 99
    edited April 2016
    Illydth said:

Yep Dev Console does it every time!

Wait...that's not how you're supposed to do it is it? :)
    Haven't ascended to godhood quite yet. Working on it.
  • illathidillathid Member Posts: 320
    Inconnu said:

green dragon Morentherene in the forest cave outside the temple yet? If so, how?

Tears through my lvl 9/10 party like tissue paper even with the standard protections.
    Just man fought it. Gave my PC a potion of speed and hit with my two handed sword till it was dead. ;)
  • sffrrromsffrrrom Member Posts: 60
    Took a few reloads, but I killed her. Haste plus getting in some wand damage. She has to go down fast or you will get wrecked, and then you can turn to the wyverns.
    InconnuThacoBellHalfOrcBeastmaster
    illathid said:

Inconnu said:

Just man fought it. Gave my PC a potion of speed and hit with my two handed sword till it was dead. ;)
    Seems I chose a crappy time to dual to mage, now I've got a gimped PC and my next best fighter is Dorn. He's too squish to be much of a help in this one though. Too bad I can't snackrifice all the good NPC's till it's too fat to move. :|
    sffrrrom said:

Took a few reloads, but I killed her. Haste plus getting in some wand damage. She has to go down fast or you will get wrecked, and then you can turn to the wyverns.
    I do have a metric sh*tton of wands. Brb gonna give it a go...
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    This is a very difficult fight in the game, let us know how you guys like it. It's not intended to be easy. :)
    Wesleykansasbarbarian
  • craymond727craymond727 Member Posts: 208
    I spammed Magic Missiles and Melf's Minute Meteors, cast a few defensive buffs, had my ranged characters use fire arrows & bullets, and hoped for the best. Also summoned a few monsters to hold off the wyverns.
    edited April 2016
    Just killed it. Thanks for the great advice @sffrrrom

Here's my whole strat:

Cast Haste, then quickly Remove Fear. This wakes the dragon. Summon golem next to dragon. Use Wand of Ice and Wand of Heaven, takes it down to about half health or below. Run to far side of stone pillars, but not quite out of sight. Blast again with wands (making sure the death blow comes from Wand of Heaven; if the Wand of Ice kills it, it could shatter, destroying loot. This will either kill the dragon or soften it up enough to be killed by a Hasted fighter. Position party so that only primary fighter or summoned creatures are attacked by wyverns. Provide antidotes and Slow Poison if needed.

Now I feel vindicated for lugging around those magic sticks this whole time.
    HalfOrcBeastmaster
  • MerinaMerina Member Posts: 303
    Battle took only a couple of seconds ... and my party was killed. Core difficulty. No good melee dude except Minsc. Remove Fear didn't help. Dragon was not injured at all.
    The two greater wyverns probably not either.
    I turned on Story Mode ... I only have this single final save from BGEE including a sorceress with a spell selection, which may not be appropriate for this fight. Will take some more tries in future playthroughs.

• EscarcheEscarche Member Posts: 61
    Nothing that a speeded-up dwarf defender with an axe can't handle.

I didn't expect it to wake up though, when I first started to buff my party. But that was what it made it so fun ^^ And deadly for few party members, but who cares about them?!

The real question is - what do you need with her scales? I gathered all these trophies from beasts and never found any blacksmith or someone like that
  • AzzaraAzzara Member Posts: 184
    1. Enter
    2. Get smashed to goo
    3. Reload
    4. Enter
    5. Cast spell
    6. Exit
    7. Heal
    8. Quick save
    9. Repeat
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    [Spoiler]The dragon actually woke up early, I was still in the entrance of the cavern, so I sent jaheira up to melee range, just at the end of the starting corridor.

I let her chug potions while my shaman started summoning spirits that would help tank the beast. Having Iron skin cast was important to tank at the beginning.

Meanwhile, I positionned the other characters far enough that they weren't in range of the dragon breath so only Jaheira would get hit.
    I had Corwin kill the 2 wyverns first because they apply a high damage poison on hit. No idea what my mage did meanwhile.

Essentially, retreated into the corridor at the entrance, clogged up the end of the corridor with spirits and Jaheira, killed all monsters 1 by 1 with Corwin.[/spoiler]
    Double post sorry because notification doesn't work on edits.

@Escarche
    You can find the blacksmith in the castle where you find khalid, it then follows you to the coalition encampment (at least it did for me) it also crafts from a few other things but I still had some trophies left by the end.
  • ManBearPigManBearPig Member Posts: 34
    Protection from poison scrolls w/ haste and a bunch of summons worked pretty well.
  • TenreccTenrecc Member Posts: 265
    Illydth said:

This is a very difficult fight in the game, let us know how you guys like it. It's not intended to be easy. :)

There was two fights in this game that I absolutely loved, this dragon was one, the final boss the other. Both took me a handful of reloads and required both pre-planning with spells and buffs as well as execute the fight correctly.

Personally I buffed up with standard spells (stoneskin, mirror image, haste, draw etc) outside, summoned some skeletons and spiders inside triggering the fight, bumrushed the wyverns one by one while occupying the dragon with a tank character with antidotes and healing pots and kept spread out to avoid getting that annoying poison blast on the party.

The final boss fight was way better though, since there was a lot more to it. The dragon pretty much only had two things to watch out for; adds and poison aoe breath.

Still, I was very happy to run into an optional fight that I couldn't bumrush, even with my pretty OP party. It felt like a very nice callback to the optional dragons in BG2, Firkraag and the shadow dragon etc. And also an interesting new take on the whole deal, since you have a lot less tools to work with this time around.
    justfeelinathome
    How is it supposed to be triggered? I didn't even realise it was optional, I walked in and got a message telling me it was awoken.
  • craymond727craymond727 Member Posts: 208

How is it supposed to be triggered? I didn't even realise it was optional, I walked in and got a message telling me it was awoken.

You can sneak around it (missing out on the loot). If you stick to the bottom of the map, you can reach the stairs to the right.
  • MerinaMerina Member Posts: 303
    @GrimLefourbe ... same here. Entered the cave, immediately noticed the message about the dragon's awakening, and *pooff* there he appeared already in front of my party.
  • EscarcheEscarche Member Posts: 61
    @GrimLefourbe

And I even remember talking to Jegg, how did I not see thsee options?! Well, it's not the first stuff I missed in this expansion, unfortunately. Thanks!
  • TemplarTemplar Member Posts: 21
    Fun fight! Did it on core difficulty. Speed is definitely the key here.

I used Haste, Defensive Harmony, Bless and protection from fear to buff my party. Had 2 bow(wo)men, 1 axe- and 1 dart-thrower, and two heavies to alternate in melee. Lots of antidote and heal pots at the ready.

Whoever was targeted by wyverns in the ranged group would kite them around until they found other targets. The haste enabled them to stop and shoot every now and again, if there was space for it. Tried to get as many hits in as possible on the dragon before running away with whatever melee was low on health, pot up, get a cure wounds spell, and go back in.

Once it reached badly wounded I started spamming magic missiles as well.

Took a few attempts to get it right, but I don't think you're supposed to make that one on your first ever attempt! :smiley:
  • MirenheartMirenheart Member Posts: 41
    edited April 2016
    I had a Dragon Disciple PC, Safana, Minsc, Boo, Dynaheir, Rasaad, and Viconia. Cast haste, Bless, chant, protection from fear and defensive harmony before entering the cave. I position myself around the dragon while it's asleep, use Dynaheir to cast Lower Magic Resistance, which wakes it. Send Minsc, Viconia (who has -9 AC and ogre Gauntlets) and Rasaad to beat on it and take its breath attacks, while Safana uses +2 short-bow with +2 fire arrows, and have both my PC and Dynaheir use Minor Contingencies of 2 magic missiles each to pummel it to badly wounded. And then i continue magic missiles. Took 10 tries over two separate games to figure out doing it this way, once i realized it didn't have 100% magic resistance. Two Rings of Wizardy make for fun times.

This kills it just quick enough for the wyverns to get into melee range.

I then went and got me a nice +4 shield for viconia to bump her AC to -10.
    If I didn't have the Shadow Armor from BGEE, i probably would have gotten the armor for Safana instead
  • cloudkillbeatsallcloudkillbeatsall Member Posts: 98
    edited April 2016
    Slightly cheesy way to do it and that is
    cast haste and run down to the bottom of the area where the dragon can't get through so he goes round the other way to get at you. Every time he turns you shoot him with arrows and follow him until he turns back and then run back to your safe space so he turns again. Keep doing this until he dies. Other than that, Wands of Heavens were really useful. His Magic Resistance must be only around 30% as things keep getting through. Wands of Fire with Aganazzar's Scorcher would be really good too as they do a lot more damage than the spell. I wonder if with two of each wand you could kill him before he managed to do anything.

Some bugs or potential bugs related to this fight:
    1. Green scroll of Protection from Poison doesn't give you 100% poison resistance, only makes prevents you from being poisoned. 2. Wyverns were not immune to the green dragon's poison. 3. Not this fight but related by poison
    Neothelid was not immune to its own poison.
  • ZoimosZoimos Member Posts: 81
    I cast a Chromatic Orb at it and it turned to stone :D

Didn't get any loot so may have to try again!
  • namelesstwonamelesstwo Member Posts: 15
    Wands of heavens all the way. it died within 20 seconds.
    MrVitti2
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    I ranged it to death without too many issues. The poison breath brought a few party members to pretty low health but no-one dropped.
  • RamiellRamiell Member Posts: 58
    Killed it on hard protected by poison immunity scrolls and fully buffed, speed is essential. Rush it and hit it with all you've got. If you lucky you can down her to less than 50% hp before she starts buffing herself up, wands work on her too
  • Baeloth_JnrBaeloth_Jnr Member Posts: 86
    Easy way: lower resistance=>greater malison=>polymorph other (best with three casters, one with wand of polymorphing).
    Unfortunately polymorphed creatures maintain their abilities, but only have the hit points of a squirrel, so they go down fast.
    Rathenau
  • jtthjtth Member Posts: 171
    edited April 2016
    Move in hasted and buffed from the north-east side. It's quick.
  • ChidojuanChidojuan Member Posts: 211
    @Zoimos Just use a stone to flesh scroll, you should have a million of them by now. Then you can fight it again, and again, and again...