Skip to content

Beast in the Cave (Minor Spoiler)

2»

Comments

• MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    edited April 2016
    I sent in Jaheira with protection from fire and poison (after modding the Protection from Poison scroll to grant immunity to poison dragon breath, as it should), then had everyone use Fireball, Potions of Explosion, and Wands of the Heavens. She went down pretty quickly, but the Greater Wyverns and Young Green Dragon still made it a tough challenge on the Insane (but no extra damage) setting.

I also made the Wyverns and Young Green Dragon immune to the poison dragon breath. Otherwise, it's a pretty easy fight when they're getting blasted away by it.
  • StonekingStoneking Member Posts: 39
    edited April 2016
    Here's what I did.

- Cast haste on whole party

-Entered cave and had my main character tank the dragon

-Moved rest of party past the dragon and further into the cave

- Had rest of the party kill the wyrmlings while my main char chugged potions

- Once wyrmlings were dead, moved main character to back of the cave in the narrow arch where dragon can't get in, along with rest of the party, effectively causing the dragon to run up and down as it tries to get to party in a futile attempt.

- Used up all ranged spells on the dragon while it runs back and forth. Then finally moved in with fighters and finished the beast off.

(This was on core difficulty)
  • ThunderThunder Member Posts: 157
    Wand of Frost + Wand of the Heavens + 4 potions of Fire Breathing. He died before being able to cast defensive spells.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Polymorphed him with a wand. Then hacked him to death. Had buffs beforehand including protection from poison. His entourage is nasty too so I also brought my own with my wand of summoning; they sure took a beating for me. I used 2 or 3 charges iirc. Insane with additional dmg turned off
  • ZilchkZilchk Member Posts: 46
    edited April 2016
    Illydth said:

This is a very difficult fight in the game, let us know how you guys like it. It's not intended to be easy. :)

I liked the fight but I was disappointed that it was just another green dragon. I hoped for some new dragon type. You could have at least used white dragon based on scaled down Icasaracht
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited April 2016
    I believe green dragons are native to the area (canonically). I'd expect a white dragon in a place like Icewind Dale (since its a lot colder).
  • ZilchkZilchk Member Posts: 46
    edited April 2016
    elminster said:

I believe green dragons are native to the area (canonically). I'd expect a white dragon in a place like Icewind Dale (since its a lot colder).

Are there any other than green, dragon species in the Forest of Wyrms according to lore? It does not have to necesarily be a white dragon. I just wanted some new one.
  • RathenauRathenau Member Posts: 80
    I loved the way you could talk to the dragon halfbreed in the temple:
    'Are you related to the dragon above? She was your sister? Oh, I killed her and got her scales to prove it.'
    Now that kind of writing I can get behind.
  • JurisJuris Member Posts: 113
    Ever hear of protection from acid? 5th level wizard spell, also a protection scroll. Makes the fight easier :)

Oh and haste and all the other stuff like Corwin and arrows of piercing (she is a death dealer)
  • BalladBallad Member Posts: 205
    I loved this fight - it was definitely one of the highlights of my first playthrough.

After getting my ass handed to me a few times, I managed to beat her on insanity. I found the adds to be the main problem. The Young Green Dragons might look like whimps, but their breath attack is just as nasty as their mother's. The wyverns hit hard but aren't such an immediate danger.

So here's how I did it:

1. Positioned my party near the far right (entrance to the temple). This way, I had the enemies coming at me through two narrow passages instead of one large one.
    2. I had Corwin stationed at the mouth of the upper passage, hasted, buffed and equipped with arrows of dispelling. I also had my fighter/illusionist Charname hanging a couple of paces behind, ready to charge.
    3. I had Glint and Voghlin summon skeletons/monsters at the lower passage. This triggered the fight. The dragon came at me through the upper passage while the adds attacked through the lower corridor, just as I had anticipated.
    4. Corwin loosens an arrow of dispelling at the dragon, ridding it of its haste (and stoneskin?). My Charname charges, Corwin switches to arrows of fire. Poison breath hurts, but Charname and Corwin's combined DPS hurts more. Dragon starts losing health fast.
    5. Minsc, Voghlin, Glint and Baeloth deal with the swarm of wyverns/young green dragons rushing through the lower corridor. Baeloth casts skull trap/fireball, Voghlin uses wand of fire, Minsc, under the protection of fire resistance/magic shielding potions charges.
    6. Dragon dies. Corwin and Charname badly wounded/poisoned.
    7. Adds start to die, but their breath attacks decimate my NPCs. I manage to kill two out of the three young greens before Glint and Voghlin bite the dust. Baeloth soon follows. In the end, I win the fight, with half my party dead. Thank Gods for that Bag of Holding...

All in all, twas a fun fight. :smile:
  • Sids1188Sids1188 Member Posts: 165
    After getting completely destroyed by it a few times (couldn't even land an attack), I went in fully prepped for one last desperate try.

Minsc, Safana and Corwin went through a bunch of potions, my divine casters piled on the buffs and my arcane poured out summons ready to go. As soon as I saw the dragon, Shaman Charname and Viconia both used wand of heavens, and Dynaheir used wand of fire. Fight over, didn't even get attacked. None of the buffs/potions or anything had any effect, I barely even saw the enemy. The rest of the wyverns were mopped up by ranged weapons without getting close. Kind of an anti-climax.
  • DasieqDasieq Member Posts: 135
    Well its quite simple, your priest with wand of heavens, and all rest with fireball potions (I forgot how its called exactly) The best damage have priest. I had some problems with killing it on 'LoB' so I decided to be rude as hell. In my case it worked.
  • ROQUROQU Member Posts: 11
    I dont know how, but i found random a normal bow that makes 99-99 dmg... i just found on my stash and gave to Corwin, now basically she plays solo, this bow is epic bugge, i dont know what happened
  • ROQUROQU Member Posts: 11
    she could kill him 1 shot basically, but i let the party plays random, tried to backstab dragon just for curiosity, and as dragon obviously survived to moltiplicator, Corwin arrived and... 101 dmg lol
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    ROQU said:

I dont know how, but i found random a normal bow that makes 99-99 dmg... i just found on my stash and gave to Corwin, now basically she plays solo, this bow is epic bugge, i dont know what happened

Its a dev console item. You have to spawn it. There is no "finding" it.
    ShikaoJuliusBorisov
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    My Charname was a Cavalier on my run through and I found this fight surprisingly easy. I had been planning to walk past but managed to mess that up so I was totally unprepared for the fight. My paladin was immune to poison and immune to fear so she basically went and whacked it using Spider Bane while everyone else ranged it or fired spells at it. I can't remember which spells I used but everything seemed to work and I remember being surprised that the dragon didn't seem to have any magic resistance. I don't remember any of my party getting knocked over either which seemed odd when fighting a dragon. Maybe I just got lucky?
    JuliusBorisov
  • AltairAltair Member Posts: 128
    I killed it on Legacy of Bhaal difficulty with a Slay living spell (OK I must admit it took a few reloads until the dragon missed its save vs spell...)
    JuliusBorisov
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,016
    Last year on the forums someone found that using a throwing dagger will kill the dragon instantly. I have not tried this approach though and usually bum rush with liberal wand usage.
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Aerakar said:

Last year on the forums someone found that using a throwing dagger will kill the dragon instantly. I have not tried this approach though and usually bum rush with liberal wand usage.

http://blog.beamdog.com/2017/08/more-player-enhanced-editions-finds.html
    Aerakar
    Thanks for linking to the discoverer @JuliusBorisov . I will have to dig up a save and try this out.

Last time I ran a dagger-using thief through SoD I forgot about this tactic until I was already way further along, ironically.
    JuliusBorisov
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I've tried it and it works. It's really weird though and too hard for me to explain RP wise, so I reloaded that one time and took her out the normal way. I liked the possibility though, it was an interesting find.
    AerakarJuliusBorisov
    It is especially fun if you are playing some sort of dagger-focused character. Yes, a cool find for sure.
    JuliusBorisov
  • LeonelLeonel Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2022
    Hmmmm. Not sure but I can say that, you'll only have problems killing it if you aren't prepared and not having a proper tank to to confront it while your rear is attacking. But since my main is both a DPS and a tank, then meh 😅 Sorry Morentherene 😅

Here's a video of my battle vs her:
    Post edited by Leonel on
  • LeonelLeonel Member Posts: 3
    Leonel wrote: »
    Hmmmm. Not sure but I can say that, you'll only have problems killing it if you aren't prepared and not having a proper tank to to confront it while your rear is attacking. But since my main is both a DPS and a tank, then meh 😅 Sorry Morentherene 😅

Here's a video of my battle vs her:

I already defeated her before. Just redid it for video recording purposes.