Skip to content

SoD and Beamdog have got support from WotC

Comments

• joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    I think you're making the right decision, @Lorvaylin. You'll be a more effective strategist if you're not busy being overwhelmed by gay panic over potential romance between two fictional characters. Like, what if Glint said something flirtatious to your CHARNAME? What would that say about your own sexuality? Would you have to start dating dudes then? It's a lot to deal with. Better to play it safe.
    killerrabbit[Deleted User]bleusteelillathid
  • LorvaylinLorvaylin Member Posts: 44
    edited April 2016
    Realistically Beamdogs next game will only be inhabited by orcs as all the main races just stopped breeding
    PhilhelmTasveryn
    Vitor said:

Lorvaylin said:

Beamdog created 7 new characters and 3 of them are gay, that's a 42% gayness margin, the real world has a 3.4% margin.

4 with Hexxat.
    That has got to be some sort of Guinness world record for a games developer, 50% of the characters created are gay, c'mon how can you seriously say there's not something going on here.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Lorvaylin said:

Realistically Beamdogs next game will only be inhabited by orcs as all the main races just stopped breeding

Where can I preorder this masterpiece?! :love:
    joluv
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    Lorvaylin said:

Beamdog created 7 new characters and 3 of them are gay, that's a 42% gayness margin, the real world has a 3.4% margin.

it is totally disproportionate and as a straight person it just roll you're eyes and get on with it as usual, and yes it does ruin the character, I was looking forward to having glint in my party now I just don't care sorry if you think it's because I'm a bigot it's not, it's because as the captain of a fighting force I want my crew to be thinking about the enemy and not my 18/00 str steel buns.

There are many figures that wildly differ from different sources about what national and global % are, you can cherry pick whichever one you want but it's telling of your biases and prejucides how low whichever source you picked pegs gay or LGBT people at, not telling of any real world correlation. I could pick one too, and I could pick one that cites it in the double digits and source it. You could cite your source too. They'd both be different. We'd both be exposing our biases.

But that said, as an LGBT (the B and the T) person with many friends in the closet (who would never report on a survey that would contribute to whichever statistically irrelevant hole you fished 3.4% out of for the entire world from) I have to say: stop speaking on things related to marginalized and oppressed groups you are not a part of please. Everyone who is in the know and in these groups can see what you're doing and it's ignorant at best and sneeringly disingenuous on average (and at worst...well, there's TOS on these boards so I don't want to label what the kind of arguments you're making contribute to at worst).

And for the record, hypersexualizing LGBT people is a tired old trope used by (surprise surprise) generation upon generation upon generation of bigots to drum up fear and panic about LGBT people, so your sentence up there should read "sorry if you think it's because I'm a bigot it's not it's because I've unthinkingly swallowed ridiculous prejudices that have saturated media and public discourse for a long time because of bigots"

Suggesting that just because you're male all straight women, regardless of their individual taste in men, will be distracted by your "18/00 str steel buns" is rightly seen as dehumanizing misogynist tripe so guess what words get applied when you suggest any gay man is going to be helplessly attracted to some straight thick-skulled muscle jerk that reminds them of the straight bullies who beat the crap out of them in school? Homophobia can include a fear of being wrong about ignorant opinions cheerfully held, and you don't seem fearful of gay men so much as cheerfully and willfully ignorant about their experiences, but your fear of being seen as a bigot for holding bigoted opinions falls under homophobia in this instance if you ask me.

Get over yourself (and get over your digital avatars), no real life gay man would be into someone spouting the tired old bigoted stuff you're spouting here. Straight people and cis people have been getting 3 scoops of representation for every half a scoop LGBT people scrape out of the garbage, and now that people are willing to make a sundae just for us with a cherry on top you want to stomp on it just because it's not yours and justify it with numbers so you can appear "objective" about your ahistorical and uninformed viewpoint on representation. Don't speak of what you don't experience unless your speech is functioning as a megaphone to those who do experience it, that applies to white people speaking about the experiences of people of colour and the racism they experience just as well as it does to cis and straight people trying to speak about LGBT experiences. You don't know anything about our experiences with representation, so back right off until you're willing to humble yourself and listen without trying to insert your own whiny agenda.
    Ayiekie
  • minsc4prezminsc4prez Member Posts: 105

Lorvaylin said:

It's like WarCraft except everybody is gay.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

Lorvaylin said:

Works for me. *preorders*

Lorvaylin said:

Works for me. *preorders*
    I guess that'd give you the opportunity to see how long the Lich King's sword
    really is...
  • RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621
    Lorvaylin said:

Vitor said:

Lorvaylin said:

4 with Hexxat.
    That has got to be some sort of Guinness world record for a games developer, 50% of the characters created are gay, c'mon how can you seriously say there's not something going on here.
    Keep in mind that they are just adding a few characters. None of the 20 something original characters were gay. Since none of them were, it is perfectly reasonable to add a few. In my opinion it makes the whole game feel more "real" now.
    [Deleted User]GenderNihilismGirdleillathid[Deleted User]
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Lorvaylin said:

it is totally disproportionate and as a straight person it just roll you're eyes and get on with it as usual, and yes it does ruin the character, I was looking forward to having glint in my party now I just don't care sorry if you think it's because I'm a bigot it's not, it's because as the captain of a fighting force I want my crew to be thinking about the enemy and not my 18/00 str steel buns.

You have some really peculiar ideas about how gay people think.

By your logic, you should also exclude female characters. Good luck with that.
  • Glam_VrockGlam_Vrock Member Posts: 277
    Lorvaylin said:

it's because as the captain of a fighting force I want my crew to be thinking about the enemy and not my 18/00 str steel buns.

See, if this weren't about gay people, you would logically want all romance removed, not just the gay stuff.
    GenderNihilismGirdleValamirCleaverillathidAyiekie

Lorvaylin said:

no real life gay man would be into someone spouting the tired old bigoted stuff you're spouting here. .

my 18 charisma chiselled Facial features would beg to differ.

Lorvaylin said:

it's because as the captain of a fighting force I want my crew to be thinking about the enemy and not my 18/00 str steel buns.

See, if this weren't about gay people, you would logically want all romance removed, not just the gay stuff.
    It is about gay people I openly admit that, there are too many gay characters the game it feels too gay now, my sister is a lesbian and I've actually done gay stuff while drunk before. I don't hate or dislike gays at all but this game is now way too gay in my opinion
    Lorvaylin said:

Lorvaylin said:

It is about gay people I openly admit that, there are too many gay characters the game it feels too gay now, my sister is a lesbian and I've actually done gay stuff while drunk before. I don't hate or dislike gays at all but this game is now way too gay in my opinion
    So the bolded contradicts the italic pretty heavily. Just saying.
    joluv said:

I just died.

Lol Trolls
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    simples said:

oh it's good they released an official statement to show their support at least.

ALSO: the next person who uses any of the following expressions or terms will be punched in the face: shoehorning, SJW, virtue signal(ling), hamfisted (i may or may not add to this list as i see fit)

This statement from Wizards of the Coast wouldn't have been necessary in the first place if it wasn't for the hamfisted implementation of a character whose sole purpose was to virtue signal for the sake of getting SJW brownie points. But no, they just had to shoehorn in that character.
    minsc4prez[Deleted User]prem0nition
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473

But that said, as an LGBT (the B and the T) person with many friends in the closet (who would never report on a survey that would contribute to whichever statistically irrelevant hole you fished 3.4% out of for the entire world from) I have to say: stop speaking on things related to marginalized and oppressed groups you are not a part of please. Everyone who is in the know and in these groups can see what you're doing and it's ignorant at best and sneeringly disingenuous on average (and at worst...well, there's TOS on these boards so I don't want to label what the kind of arguments you're making contribute to at worst).

You know, sexuality can be a complex thing. What if an individual identifies as a heterosexual, but sometimes engages in homosexual activity? Perhaps that person doesn't even identify as bisexual since there may be no attraction to the same sex, or maybe only situational attraction to the same sex. Or perhaps the attraction exists but not the self-identification. Can those people weigh in, or only the people who are deeply embedded within LGBT self-identification, and who feel oppressed? Can one person ever truly speak for many on the sole basis of identity?
    edited April 2016

simples said:

oh it's good they released an official statement to show their support at least.

ALSO: the next person who uses any of the following expressions or terms will be punched in the face: shoehorning, SJW, virtue signal(ling), hamfisted (i may or may not add to this list as i see fit)

This statement from Wizards of the Coast wouldn't have been necessary in the first place if it wasn't for the hamfisted implementation of a character whose sole purpose was to virtue signal for the sake of getting SJW brownie points. But no, they just had to shoehorn in that character.
    Bullshit. The entire concept of "virtue signalling" is just a way to dismiss the validity of pretty much anything you want to dismiss - it means nothing. The character isn't any more hamfisted than any other NPC in the game, and if she were cisgendered but revealed something else similarly personal early on, people wouldn't be complaining so much. It's the fact that she's transgender, not the quality of the writing, that y'all are objecting to.

You're just ~signalling~ that you're objecting to different things for plausible deniability.
  • MiloMilo Member Posts: 59
    Another thread right down the dumper.

Maybe start vetting account registration for the time being?
    minsc4prezGenderNihilismGirdle

Lorvaylin said:

Lorvaylin said:

So the bolded contradicts the italic pretty heavily. Just saying.
    it doesn't at all, I like popcorn but if I had to eat it for breakfast lunch and dinner i'd be like "urghh too much popcorn"
    edited April 2016

joluv said:

I just died.

Lol Trolls
    I can see why you think that but no I am not a troll believe it or not
  • kanemikanemi Member Posts: 31
    edited April 2016
    Lorvaylin said:

Lorvaylin said:

I'm reminded of those joke comments about racism. "I'm not racist; my brother dated a black girl and I love jazz. How could I be racist? It is, just, sometimes I feel there are too many black people in the media these days."

EDIT:

More seriously, neither of those items really speaks to your homophobia or lack thereof. You can have friends, family, or people that you otherwise love, but despise the fact that they are homosexual. Not saying you do, but the possibility exists, so saying that you can't be homophobic because x, y, or z person in your life is gay is illogical.

As far as what you do when you are drunk, that also doesn't speak to your general outlook on a subject. If you say that you only do something when you are drunk, it gives the impression that you would not normally participate in such behavior. Not saying that this is what you are saying, but that is the impression.
    GenderNihilismGirdle
    Philhelm said:

You know, sexuality can be a complex thing. What if an individual identifies as a heterosexual, but sometimes engages in homosexual activity? Perhaps that person doesn't even identify as bisexual since there may be no attraction to the same sex, or maybe only situational attraction to the same sex. Or perhaps the attraction exists but not the self-identification. Can those people weigh in, or only the people who are deeply embedded within LGBT self-identification, and who feel oppressed? Can one person ever truly speak for many on the sole basis of identity?
    ooooh man...
    prem0nitionwoowoovoodoo
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    But @Glam_Vrock, sometimes I don't mean to eat popcorn but then I get drunk and lose some of my self control, you know? So I end up eating A LOT of popcorn. Just to be safe, it would be better if the box wasn't there in the first place.
    joluv said:

But @Glam_Vrock, sometimes I don't mean to eat popcorn but then I get drunk and lose some of my self control, you know? So I end up eating A LOT of popcorn. Just to be safe, it would be better if the box wasn't there in the first place.

haha oh god please don't psychoanalyse me i'm scared of what will come out.
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    @BelleSorciere I think @Silverstar was just kidding and jamming all the words the post they were quoting didn't want said as a joke
    SilverstarBelleSorciereGozeta