Skip to content

Pathfinding SO FRUSTRATING!

Sorry, after the hundredth time my toon is stuck when she could just walk around a obstacle I just had to post.

The path finding AI has taken a plummet in this update. The characters wont simply take one step left or right to get around something.

Anybody continually having to manually move them in straight lines to get behind a counter to talk to a shopkeeper? Frustrating to say the least.

Comments

• Mikey205Mikey205 Member Posts: 307
    I have encountered a strange issue in 2.0 where a character will get stuck when there are no obstacles. Only way to fix it is to click somewhere in another direction. They literally stop walking, it's very strange.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    to help with path finding issues, you can also set way points, I do this to help out with path finding,

if you hold Crtl+Shft and left click, you can set multiple way points so then your characters will have an easier time to move around
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    edited April 2016
    I agree. Pathfinding had improved a lot in EE edition but, for some reason, now we are back to the starting point. Characters tend to stuck into each other frequently
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Especially if one character is faster than another, instead of running around the slower person they just stutter along behind them being continually blocked.

I find they sometimes stop walking when they come out with an interjection or banter.
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    decado said:

Especially if one character is faster than another, instead of running around the slower person they just stutter along behind them being continually blocked.

I find they sometimes stop walking when they come out with an interjection or banter.

Exactly the same here
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    Beamdog tried to change pathfinding to allow the group to go into small corridors but there isn't many of those in SoD so I think we're mostly seeing the drawbacks of the new pathfinding but it's supposedly better in areas like the Firewine ruins.
  • BelfaldurnikBelfaldurnik Member Posts: 212
    Meanwhile it has happened to me a very few times, too. They bumped into eachother while trying to move a long way back into camp. Not a major issue, though.
  • Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    This is what CRTL+J is for my friends.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    There may be some lingering issues with the pathfinding; we're looking into them now. (Well, "now" is a relative term--the programmers aren't at the office yet--but they're on the list, I should say.)
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    decado said:

i think they always used to do this.. don't think it's a bug

• TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    Dee said:

There may be some lingering issues with the pathfinding; we're looking into them now. (Well, "now" is a relative term--the programmers aren't at the office yet--but they're on the list, I should say.)

So when can we expect a first patch? Not for this issue but in general.
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    I think the 14th is the announced date for the first patch.
    It may not be exactly the 14th, depending on testing. But it's planned to be very soon. You can read more about it here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/51466/upcoming-patch-preview
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    14th is so far away...
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    @Dee I recall in the vanilla bg2 there was an "enhanced pathfinding" feature and the path nodes could go up to 400 000, has this been altered at all?
    I believe the number of path notes isn't the issue here, although that feature hasn't been removed from the engine so far as I know.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    Programmer here. You guys should really look into integrating http://gamma.cs.unc.edu/RVO2/ if you haven't already, I think it would be a perfect fit for this game.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Dynaheir got stuck behind a horse's ass and I chuckled at the symbolism towards the pathfinding.

It made my day.
  • minsc4prezminsc4prez Member Posts: 105

This is what CRTL+J is for my friends.

Cheater
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    edited April 2016
    sarevok57 said:

@Dee I recall in the vanilla bg2 there was an "enhanced pathfinding" feature and the path nodes could go up to 400 000, has this been altered at all?

IMO the increased path nodes actually made things worse.

Because now instead of clogging up temporary choke points (which was kinda annoying but not that bad), characters could now find alternative routes involving huuuuuuge detours around the entire map, and would walk off by themselves to take those huge detours rather than of just wait for one second for a congested doorway to clear up.

However, BG2 did introduce one big pathfinding-related improvement compared to the original BG: Namely, allowing walking characters to push stationary friendly characters out of the way in order to get through.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    We really need the ability to push NPCs out of the way, non plot critical ones anyway. Or at least prompt them to move if we bash into them.