Skip to content

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    ErgJuliusBorisov
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    @typo_tilly
    hush! hush! hush! hush! hush!

I still dont have lose funds to get it! :disappointed:
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    edited February 2016
    We do not condone piracy, and advising users to pirate games is explicitly against the site rules.
    -Site Staff
    Post edited by Dee on
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756

there's a save file issue with Linux. The bonus campaign doesn't see my final save, so I can't import or start the new content at all.

I'm sorry to hear that, I hope they fix this bug soon.

Meanwhile, if you haven't already, you could try The Caldecott Caper (it's also on Nexus, for those without the Steam version).

It's a fantastic mod and I've personally enjoyed it more than any other campaign for any of the Shadowrun games and that's including the official ones too.
    [Deleted User]
    edited February 2016
    Erg
    @Erg
    Whoa, whoa slow down chief, its kind of hard to compete with Antumbra Saga and Mercurial
    [Deleted User]
    edited February 2016

@Erg
    Whoa, whoa slow down chief, its kind of hard to compete with Antumbra Saga and Mercurial

Well, "The Caldecott Caper" is from the same author of "Antumbra Saga", i.e. Cirion, and IMO he has managed to outdo himself :)
    Post edited by Erg on
    [Deleted User]
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    edited February 2016
    Ok guys, how hard is to use mods for Shadowrun Returns (it's the only game from the series I own). Judging from your comments there are mods out there that outshine original? Am I assuming correctly?
    Thanks @typo_tilly. I don't know if I'll have any trouble with it, because I didn't try to mod this game yet. Just trying to find out how hard it'll be.
    edited February 2016
    Cahir said:

Ok guys, how hard is to use mods for Shadowrun Returns (it's the only game from the series I own). Judging from your comments there are mods out there that outshine original? Am I assuming correctly?

@Cahir

Installing mods for Shadowrun Returns is easy, especially if you have the Steam version, because you can use the Steam Workshop. If you have the GOG version there is a sticky with instructions on the GOG Forum on how to use Steam Workshop mods without Steam, if a mod is not available on Nexus.

The main problem with Returns is that some mods require the original Dragonfall DLC that is not sold anymore (and it is different form Dragonfall Director's Cut that's instead a standalone game), so unless you have the DLC already, those mods are off limits (check the tags in the mod description on the Steam Woekshop; if there is "berlin" among the tags, then it requires the DLC). Several other mods have not been updated in ages and now are buggy or broken because of the official patches, so check the date of the last update.

Some of the mods for Returns that I have enjoyed, that do work with the current version and that do not require the original Dragonfall DLC are

1) Nightmare Harvest
    2) A Stitch in Time
    3) Seattle Blues

If you have the Dragonfall DLC I recommend also the Antumbra Saga (in three chapters).

However, Antumbra Saga is also available in an improved version for Shadowrun Dragonfall Director's Cut and in that case is just one mod with the complete story instead of three chapters in separate mods.
    [Deleted User]
    @Erg, yeah I have a Steam version of Returns, but without any DLC's (anyway why's Dragonfall not sold anymore?). I bought it once in a surge of excitement, but didn't exactly feel excited. I don't like using Steam, but there were only Steam version available at that time. If I only new GoG version will be released eventually, I would have wait. It's shame to own a game generally described as at least good and not finish it, so maybe I'll give it one more chance. Maybe there are some mods out there, that could improve a gameplay without messing with the story, that you could recommend for first playthrough?
    edited February 2016
    Cahir said:

why's Dragonfall not sold anymore?

They now sell only the Director's Cut that is a standalone game. Not sure why. I personally think that it would be worth to buy the old DLC just for some of the mods. It's really a pity that they don't sell it anymore.
    Cahir said:

Maybe there are some mods out there, that could improve a gameplay without messing with the story, that you could recommend for first playthrough?

All the mods I've tried were new campaigns. There are also mods for the official campaign, but I've not used them myself, so I don't know if they are any good.
    Post edited by Erg on
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    So after playing Returns and Dragonfall, I've just started Hong Kong.

To be honest, I think I even prefer these games to the BG series... totally different obviously, but the character development and stories are vastly superior, I feel. I'm also in love with the setting.
    [Deleted User]
    simples
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited April 2016
    I absolutely adored Dragonfall and Hong Kong - fantastic characters, elaborate and engaging stories, beautiful settings, excellent use of player agency, and a morality system that definitely shows lessons learned from past models. The only downside is I want more. Where's Shadowrun: London, and why can't I have it? :(
    [Deleted User]moody_magerorikon
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    I think modders figured out a way around that? All I know is I was extremely happy to play Dead Man's Switch on the Dragonfall engine, it's probably why I thought more highly of it than most did when SR launched.
    [Deleted User]rorikon
    edited April 2016

Having the narrative prose mixed with dialogue makes a big difference in the mood, like with Planescape.

THIS. It just makes everything come alive, doesn't it?
    Also the *one* (yeah sorry) thing PoE did very very right.

So far HK has been just as immersive (if not even more so) than Dragonfall. Absolutely loving it! Great atmosphere, memorable characters, great dialogue.. nothing feels weird or out of place or forced.

Edit: and without diminishing any of Beamdogs accomplishments (I liked SoD), a good lesson in how to write convincing characters and drive a narrative without forcing it.
    [Deleted User]
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    For me, the problem with HK is it sticks yo exactly the same formula as DF. Choose a mission, jump on a train, choose team, complete mission, collect payment, advance arc-plot, advance npc plots, repeat. That was fine for one game, but it got boring at two. I think subsequent games really need to mix it up a bit.

Oh yeah, and why isn't there a "Stealth" skill?
    edited April 2016
    While I agree it can feel railroaded, I do think it has replayability because there are different choices to be made and different quest outcomes.

A stealth "kit"? I'm not sure what you mean, but having more options for resolving quests without combat would have been cool, yeah.
    Edit: Misread that, yeah a stealth skill would be cool.
    Post edited by simples on
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    It's not so much railroading that I'm talking about, but the structure.

For example, a bit of exploration would be a change of pace.

Dead Man's Switch was actually released with 2 stealth spells: Silence? and something else. But they were never put to use in game. It's a shame stealth was never implemented.

And fog I think you mean.
    [Deleted User]
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Oooh. Shadowrun!
    I got them all 3 and loved them! Even though I'd say that Hong-Kong's got a bit more dialogue than the previous ones and less fighting...which is not bad, but sometimes I am in a fighting mood.
    [Deleted User]