Skip to content

Problem with custom voicesets

EggHuevoEggHuevo Member Posts: 69
Hey. I've been playing v1.3 up until now, when I decided to update to 2.0. I've always used custom sets from IWD (ever since the original BG1, up to BG2:EE v1.3) and had no problems whatsoever. But now I started a new game in BG1 and the "selection" sounds doesn't work. Apparently every other sound in the soundset works fine (command sounds, death, leader). Anybody knows of a solution? Maybe they changed the letter assigned to each type of sound, I don't know. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• rashkaerashkae Member Posts: 179
    I worked around this by replacing one of the default voicesets
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Someone said renaming the voicesets to Custom# apparently works, i.e. going back to pre-1.3, urgh. Not tried that personally though.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    It looks like this is already a known issue and being worked on.
  • EggHuevoEggHuevo Member Posts: 69

Someone said renaming the voicesets to Custom# apparently works, i.e. going back to pre-1.3, urgh. Not tried that personally though.

@Silverstar How exactly would that work? For instance I have a soundset named "Fighter05". The files are named "Fighter05a.wav", "Fighter05b.wav", and so on. Should I name them "Customa.wav" and so on? Or "Custom1.wav"? I'm sorry, I didn't understand you correctly!

I tried renaming them to both "CustomX.wav" and it didn't work.

@argent77 I renamed the soundset as "MaleX.wav" and it worked! It shows wrong subtitles, it seems for the original "Male" soundset, but that's tolerable. Do you know of any other recognized names?
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    "Custom1a", "Custom1b" etc., replacing the 1 when you're on another set. Up to 9 possible sets if I remember correctly.

"Custom1a", "Custom1b" etc., replacing the 1 when you're on another set. Up to 9 possible sets if I remember correctly.

It works with Custom1! I assume it will work up to 9, maybe even more. Thank you!
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    Where do I find the soundsets in 1.3/1.4? I've yet to update to 2.0, but I'd like to use my IWD voices in BG.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @Pteran They should be in your language folder. Probably lang>en_US.
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    edited April 2016
    EggHuevo said:

For instance I have a soundset named "Fighter05". The files are named "Fighter05a.wav", "Fighter05b.wav", and so on.

Your file name is the origin of the problem. The rules stated in lang/en_US/sounds/sndlist.txt explicitly state that the base file name is limited to 7 characters, hence "fighter" is already using them all. Name your files fight05a, fight05b, etc. and that should work. If you check the sets provided in Icewind Dale EE or the original Icewind Dale, they all follow this rule.
    I confirm that soundsets work with BGEE 2.0 without overwriting Male or Female stuff and without using the Custom base name.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    It seems to be a bit more complicated with the current patch. Soundsets are working in general, but selection sounds are still skipped for some reason.

To make selection sounds working for every soundset name you'd have to add a new column to the file CHARSND.2DA which maps strrefs to the respective sound slots. I got my custom female soundset working by simply duplicating the strrefs from FEMALE3. You should disable to display character subtitles though since they don't match. You can most likely add your own set of strrefs, but that's probably overkill for simply using a custom soundset. I expect this issue to be fixed in the next patch.
    @Isaya Actually I was wrong, it was named "Fgt_05". I renamed some of them to be 3-4 characters, to no avail. The only solution so far is to rename them "male", "female", and "customX", where X is a number between 1 and 9. Maybe there are others, too.
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    @EggHuevo My mistake. I failed to read the initial problem report properly and only focused on the name you mentioned in your other message.
    @Isaya No worries. It puzzles me that it works for you, and not for me or others. Strange. Well, I'll have to play with this custom 1-9 until the next patch fixes it. Thanks for your help :)
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited April 2016
    argent77 said:

It seems to be a bit more complicated with the current patch. Soundsets are working in general, but selection sounds are still skipped for some reason.

To make selection sounds working for every soundset name you'd have to add a new column to the file CHARSND.2DA which maps strrefs to the respective sound slots. I got my custom female soundset working by simply duplicating the strrefs from FEMALE3. You should disable to display character subtitles though since they don't match. You can most likely add your own set of strrefs, but that's probably overkill for simply using a custom soundset. I expect this issue to be fixed in the next patch.

@argent77
    I've added a column to charsnd.2da and linked strrefs but it still doesn't say selection sounds or things like bored, reaction to death, rare selects (or write subs for them). The only sound I reliably see in limited tests are action acknowledgements and battle cries.

I opened a redmine. I even tried just renaming a stock set (w/o messing w/ charsnd.2da) and trying and it did the same thing - only a couple sounds.