Skip to content

[BG:EE] PLEASE READ - LIST OF THINGS THAT CAN'T BE DONE.

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Maybe the mod community will revive the graphics update project we've seem above. I've seem names in this board that came straight from the past and who had been away from the mod community for years.

And remember mods don't have to be free. I'd gladly pay for a graphics overhaul mod.
  • SanctiferSanctifer Member Posts: 104
    edited August 2012
    This all comes from here :

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/29995-candlekeep-remake/

A remake of the maps by Big Poppa (aka Richard something, so you must be right about that), in his (dead) project "A tale retold" if I remember well...

Mornmagor said:

DLC with new graphics/animations would be pure win.

Here's the Friendly Arm Inn and Candlekeep with new upgraded graphics incorporated into the existing engine to help keep the fires burning.

Does this enhancement satisfy you? :P

NO?!

Fine. How about some new interior shots straight from the development desk?

How much are you willing to pay is the question.

Editor's Note: Please realize, this thread is of a "List of things that can't be done", so remember, updating the graphics for Baldur's Gate, uh, well ... hrm ... can't be done. [contract limitations, claimed loss of original art assets]

PS: @TrentOster is a fan of Sylvus Moonbow. :P
    KyonKolonKuNimz
  • taletotelltaletotell Member Posts: 74
    It's crazy but I don't think most of us would buy a new game using this engine. This is like buying sonic 1 for ps3 with a graphic upgrade to 32 bits! It is still so minor and behind, but we all loved BG so much it is totally worth it. I would like to play those maps above by the way. Are they out in a mod?
    NWN_babaYagasarevok57
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Though nice, I must say that I didnt like the Friendly Arm Inn.. the surrounding wall is too *roundy* or simple? I like the old one more.. :)
    AndreaColombog314Rereltaletotell
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    edited September 2012
    niklas said:

@Time constraints, What is that all about? I'd rather wait for another year or two for completely redone version. And the zoom feature, what is that for if the game is not in HD? What can we expect from this re-release of the best game ever made, huh? Bugfixes - Honestly, I don't care. Sorry if this post appears relatively depressed, but be assured, after reading this I am. @AndreaColombo 's post practically destroyed my every expectation for this release. Thanks for clearing things up though. So the question remains: what does this EE provide then?

It is an Enchanced Edition. What did you expect? It's not even an expansion. Baldur's Gate games were perfect and now we are given the chance to experience them again, but with some changes and additions. I am perfectly fine with this. In fact, that is what I(and I hope more people agree with me) wanted in the first place. I also think that if there is "enough" interest in the EE, the developer team will have more reasons to make an expansion or two, BG3, Enchance IWD(I know about the copyrights but still...) etc...

P.S. Despair not! I shall inspire you by charging BLINDLY ON, I mean by pre-ordering blindly on. :)
    Post edited by Djimmy on
    IgnoMooseChangerPat
  • KyonKyon Member Posts: 128
    Screenshots are really awesome 0_o
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    Kyon said:

Screenshots are really awesome 0_o

Really,
    How awesome ?
    I saw screeshots which is similar with original version ,
    Of course , i don't see the actual screeshots yet~~
  • KolonKuKolonKu Member Posts: 87
    edited August 2012
    As an amateur game designer, I'd love to know where the original 3d-models went! Certainly there has to be some developer who still have them on his or her HD, or stored somewhere on a dusty shelf.. Even if the data consists of a thousand floppy discs. If there was a book about the process of making these sprites, I wouldn't sleep until it was read. Twice.

Is the model of Sarevok from the intro movie the same one that was used in the making of his in-game sprite? It would be an amazing experience to see what the models actually looked like. I am 100% sure that the 3d-model of the troll from BG2 looked much better and had more polygons than the one from Neverwinter Nights! Even though it was only used to make a 2d sprite.

I get a fanboygasm just thinking about this. Please go to Bioware, the old Black Isle studio or whatever and search like there's no tomorrow. If you find anything, the beer's on me.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Kyon For some reason, every time I read this thread, those screenshots eat my screen. I can't wait for page 10. Really.
    Kyon
    Same happens with me. The thread always stop scrolling on the pics, never scroll all the way down to new messages.
    Kyon
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @minevese I think me actually posting here fixed that, though. (Crosses fingers)
    Kyon
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    @KolonKu You'd be surprised how code and models can go missing. They are proprietary so you don't want to leave them lying around where everyone has access to them, especially after the project has ended. So probably one or two people end up in charge of the data. And then companies go out of business, merge, split, get bought/sold. Employees come, leave, change responsibilities.

'Hey, do you still have those BG 3d models?' 'Me? I thought you had them.' Most likely either the information is gone forever or whoever has it doesn't realize that they have it.

I remember reading a few months ago that the source code for Prince of Persia 2 showed up after 20 or so years. The formatting on the disk was so old they had to use a museum's retro computer to read it.
    DiscoCatpaulsifer42Brude
  • AnOnionAnOnion Member Posts: 30

It's crazy but I don't think most of us would buy a new game using this engine. This is like buying sonic 1 for ps3 with a graphic upgrade to 32 bits! It is still so minor and behind, but we all loved BG so much it is totally worth it. I would like to play those maps above by the way. Are they out in a mod?

Hmm... Super Mario All-Stars sold pretty well on the SNES, and continues to sell well on Wii. I think your logic is flawed.
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244

Yes, it is like buy Star Wars episode 4 - 6 on Blu-ray...
    Nobody will ever do that, because graphic effects are bad and film is old ! :D
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    Edvin said:

Yes, it is like buy Star Wars episode 4 - 6 on Blu-ray...

I totally did that.

Lekian
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    edited September 2012

I totally did that.

Why people never recognize when am i sarcastic ?
    ( I naturally have all SW on Blu-ray )
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    Nah, my post was just for everyone's information, really :D
  • scypher1scypher1 Member Posts: 36
    Its a shame that the mmost fundamental change is not done in BG enhanced. That would be mixing the best mods done by players for the game,such as the ones done by erephine. (adds more models)

No tutu dialogues or new creatures/magical effects. WHY!!!!!!!!????

@scypher1 It's a copyright problem. The mods authors would have to give/sell the right for their works to Beamdog/WotC/Atari.

In some cases it's impossible to contact the original authors or they are just unknown, so they can't legally add them to the game.

Erephine's mods are part of the game, with full permission from the Author. It's in the FAQs.
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    edited September 2012
    My biggest disapointment is with the owners of the bloody IP being so stubborn and restrictive for a game they stopped caring about years ago. For frack's sake! Those cheap arsed baffoons should have given these devs a little more leeway in that contract of theirs. Were those Shylocks not going to get a big enough pound of flesh from beamdog? I don't know what the contract stipulates or i'd write them directly and tell them what i think of them. Who's this contract with anyways if it's permitted to answer? PHEW! i don't often get that nasty but it upsets me seeing all the restrictions being imposed by this contract.

I would have liked to add the legalities or illegalities of modding games without permission to respond to those in earlier posts who disputed the restrictions imposed by this said contract but i don't have all my facts in order at this point so i'll refrain for the time being until i'm 100% sure.
    Post edited by Gilgalahad on
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited September 2012
    KolonKu said:

As an amateur game designer, I'd love to know where the original 3d-models went! Certainly there has to be some developer who still have them on his or her HD, or stored somewhere on a dusty shelf.. Even if the data consists of a thousand floppy discs. If there was a book about the process of making these sprites, I wouldn't sleep until it was read. Twice.

Is the model of Sarevok from the intro movie the same one that was used in the making of his in-game sprite? It would be an amazing experience to see what the models actually looked like. I am 100% sure that the 3d-model of the troll from BG2 looked much better and had more polygons than the one from Neverwinter Nights! Even though it was only used to make a 2d sprite.

I get a fanboygasm just thinking about this. Please go to Bioware, the old Black Isle studio or whatever and search like there's no tomorrow. If you find anything, the beer's on me.

I think the answer to your question is in the Dedication page from the BG2 manual, albeit indirectly (the one for Daniel Walker). Believe me, everyone's really broken up about it, but unfortunately there's nothing to be done about it.
  • gabriel0307gabriel0307 Member Posts: 4
    Sorry for being a bitch, but if you cant improve the char models and animations, the so entittled "enhanced edition" comes only due to the use of the Throne of Baal engine?
    I'm bying the game BTW, just need some clarification
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    I'm a bit worried about this list of what they can't do... this thread seems to say don't ask for these things as they can't do it, which may cause them to ignore what a lot of people want. More than anything I'd love to put my own dialogue text and voice over into the game. Even though they can't do this, can't they make it really easy for us to do this instead?
    fluke13 said:

I'm a bit worried about this list of what they can't do... this thread seems to say don't ask for these things as they can't do it, which may cause them to ignore what a lot of people want. More than anything I'd love to put my own dialogue text and voice over into the game. Even though they can't do this, can't they make it really easy for us to do this instead?

@fluke13, One of the BG:EE goals is to make the game more mod-friendly, So even if they cant change some things in the Original content, be sure that the Modding Community will take care of it.

• lilraven1188lilraven1188 Member Posts: 4
    i just wish i could get it on xbox i dont own any of the platforms its comin out on
    I don't see any way of playing this game on a console... The controls would be horrible, unless it used kinectic, for instance, and i don't think kinectic is precise enough...
  • ShadwobladeShadwoblade Member Posts: 9
    This is a shame. An "Enhanced" version of BG-ToSC should surely get a graphics upgrade, as well as total bug fixing and AD&D 2nd edit compliance?

Otherwise what are the enhancements?

We can already use the BG2 engine with TuTu.
    We can get better rules compliance with Field of the Dead, as well as new spells and other content.
    We can get plenty of new content from spell and equipment mods.

So, what is the point of BG:EE again? A couple of new NPCs?

~
    /sigh...
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Shadwoblade

Read this:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/2041/bgee-please-read-list-of-things-that-have-been-announced

and then watch the trailer.

If those don't convince you then BGEE is simply not for you.