Skip to content

Is there a unified installer for BG1-EE v2.x mods (Steam/GoG compatible)

FeilakasFeilakas Member Posts: 49
edited April 2016 in General Modding
Way back when I first tackled BG2 w/mods (10 years+) I strongly remember a windows graphical program more akin to a Linux package manager that would take care of literally everything.

It'd present all possible mods, provide detailed explanations what each one did, optionally offer presets (e.g. vanilla with bugfixes/improvements, recommended mods, total modifications etc) and, perhaps best of all, take care of everything from downloading the mods to properly installing them in the correct order and automatically resolving conflicts between them.

I'm currently using the 2.0.62.2 GoG version of BG1-EE and after having searched for quite a while I have found no traces of anything even remotely similar.

I tried manually installing only a handful of very base mods (BG1-NPC+Imoen Banter, BG1-UB, BG1-Tweaks) and still had trouble with overlapping features I didn't know about beforehand and tried to resolve on the spot with limited success.
I can't imagine the trouble I'd be in if I tried to venture any further than that.

Comments

• DeltharisDeltharis Member Posts: 124
    What you're looking for is right here, as a sticky topic - https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/44476/tool-big-world-setup-bws-mod-manager-for-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-trilogy-for-windows/p1

Do note however, that it will not provide more information than individual mod readmes, so features you didn't know beforehand might still be a problem. Also, version 2.0 is still fresh, some mods might contain unexpected incompatibilities, and we're still waiting for a new version of WeiDU to take care of Siege of Dragonspear - see https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50441/modmerge-merge-your-steam-gog-zip-based-dlc-into-something-weidu-nearinfinity-dltcep-can-use/p1
  • FeilakasFeilakas Member Posts: 49
    @Deltharis Thank you, I tried to install the Big World Project and was utterly unsuccessful, didn't realize the Big World SETUP was something different so I originally ignored the above thread.

Perhaps a clearer name to differentiate the two would have been better?

In any case, yeah, I downloaded it and noticed several things pointing to being compatible with an older version. I've backed up my files so I might try this but I think I'm leaning more towards waiting for said update before doing a serious playthrough.

CheerS!
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270
    @Feilakas there will be no update for Weidu regarding Siege of Dragonspear Steam/GoG Editions with broken mod support. You only option is to use this tool forever ...
    @ALIEN I never said SoD, I said BG1-EE v2.x, by that I mean an updated version that takes into account the changes to v 2.x as well as the compatibility of the patches.

That being said, seriously doubt what you said.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I love me some BWS. Unfortunately, I find myself often restarting my adventures as I find added content I don't like or something so I reload the whole thing with the same stuff -1 or 2 things... That's a good problem to have though I think.
    lansounet
    @subtledoctor I know, that's what the first part of my post said.

The seriously doubt part again wasn't about WeiDU but simply about the "forever" part.

From the looks of it BG and I.E. have a lot more life left in them and I suspect in another 5 or 10 years new tools will have come to supplement or even replace the current ones.
    Who said replace WeiDU, I meant the tool in my OP, BWP/BWS
    Maybe Java-based? That'd be grand.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Feilakas said:

Maybe Java-based? That'd be grand.

LOL, language is irrelevant. How well the tool plays with the game engine is all that matters. WeiDU is the best tool at doing that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Feilakasrkocour
    edited April 2016
    "some logic to sort the list" is a big ugly piece of work that's mostly unrelated to programming - do we have a proper, usefull list that could serve as a database for that? @ALIEN I suspect that BiG World Setup / Config / *game* / Select.txt could be of use, but it's little irregularities, and the meaning of fields other than modname and component number escape me - is there a documentation available?

On a related note, how does WeiDU decide which language to use? Mine seems to know I want english, but I can't find why does it know. And this potential java program would also possibly want to know.
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270
    @Deltharis select.txt could be used for install order but without fixpack and conflicts it wold be abomination - it's better to just use virtual windows to prepare you installation and then move it to case insensitive partition. Documentation is in "BiG World Setup\Docs" folder. Weidu get you lang from WeiDu.conf file inside game directory.
    @ALIEN thanks. And I agree with you - but wouldn't it be just a little bit smaller abomination than manually installing mods one by one on platforms that can't run BWS?