Skip to content

I wish to register a complaint!

fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
But not about a dead parrot. :smile:

So 2.0 is out - far earlier than I thought. I must confess that I've been watching these forums somewhat lazily these few last months as my game has been working perfectly on PC and Android. I was aware of 2.0 being in the works, and had seen the screen shots (which didn't appeal much to me), but no - I had never thought it was just around the corner.

So when I was notified yesterday that there was an update I never thought of version 2.0 at all. I thought it was just a minor update, something needed for SoD perhaps (which I intend to buy at one point, though not now). Much to my dismay I realised when the game started that it was indeed version 2.0. And my fears were soon confirmed: I had got the new UI which I consider un-Baldurlike. Worse, it seems that save game compatibility between 1.3 and 2.0 is broken. That means I cannot transfer save files between PC and Android devices anymore - not until Android also is updated to version 2.0, at any rate.

Patch 2.0 is a huge overtaking that changes much of the game. I really think the patcher should have explicitly stated what was about to happen, not only warning about the override folder being emptied as usual; something like:
"WARNING! The game is about to patched to version 2.0. This will result in new UI and several other fundamental game changes. Also, contents in the override folder will be deleted.
Do you wish to continue?"

I REALLY hope we will be given the option of going back to 1.3 or at least given the choice which UI (elements) we want to use, but I fear that's pretty futile. I do hope Beamdog proves me wrong, though. I also hope that save incompatibility is looked into and fixed, if it is indeed broken and can be fixed.

EDIT:
Actually it seems that save game compatibility is NOT broken, as I had thought after reading about other peoples' problems. Maybe it's because they use mods that are incompatible as of now with version 2.0? I use a modded game, but only override mods created by myself (having created override folders with identical content on my both PC and mobile units), no WeiDU mods or other dialog.tlk changing mods...

So the main issue for me remains the new UI - especially the spell books, character records and shop screens are IMHO not very good looking.

Also, it seems to me that it's not possible to make personal map points anymore? That's a shame if that indeed is the case - I use this a lot in areas like AR3500, which can be pretty difficult for a low-level party... :wink: Also, I use it to mark off houses I haven't looted yet in Beregost, Nashkel and BG City.
Post edited by fkirenicus on

Comments

• dvdbangsruddvdbangsrud Member Posts: 19
    I really agree with you. I assume that the team has used a lot of time developing this new UI, so I won't just say that it's bad and then leave.
    But I really loath it! It feels so out of place with the game's original style.
    The character records screen seems compact and messy. The spell book seem to utilize space poorly with the memorized spells in the bottom. The journal is now an overlay for whatever reason. I have mixed feelings about that one. The map now does an annoying kind of zooming in and out when you choose it.
    With that said, I'm all about the options. I would really like a checkbox for 'use old spellbook ui' or such.
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    It took me about five minutes to find my APR stat last night.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The UI changes do need a bit more time in the oven. Feedback is good though; and if there are specific things you'd like to see changed, I highly recommend making a Feature ticket on Redmine to tell us about it: http://support.baldursgate.com
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    edited April 2016
    This maybe a stupid question, please excuse ignorance if it is.

I have the game installed with some mods and am totally happy with the way it plays. Still got lots of mods to try out, I don't want to update anything that changes the version I have.
    Also being very nervous about the UI changes that a lot don't seem to like.

If I rebuy the game along with SOD from Beamdog, I was planning to do that as I do want to support the company, will it over write my current installed games, BG and BG2, which I bought from GOG?

Or will the new versions install separately and sit happily alongside the older versions with their own desktop icons which allows me to play either version, old installed version for mods ect., new version for added content?

I believe it installs separately, but I would recommend backing up your installation just in case.
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
    GOG usually install their games in sub-folders of the GOG game folder, so my 2 cents is that Dee is right - a copy of BGEE from Beamdog and a copy of BGEE from GOG *should* not interfere with each other.
    edited April 2016
    "Also, it seems to me that it's not possible to make personal map points anymore? That's a shame if that indeed is the case - I use this a lot in areas like AR3500, which can be pretty difficult for a low-level party... :wink: Also, I use it to mark off houses I haven't looted yet in Beregost, Nashkel and BG City."

Actually, this DOES seem to work... Provided one starts a new game. I cannot get it working in my current playthrough that was started in version 1.3, but if I start a new 2.0 game it works just fine.

Just have to say I fear I may run into several problems about things not appearing to be working after the 2.0 patch in my playthrough, and that I might as well just start a new game instead.

So, I would add this to the warning I mentioned in the opening post:
    "Also note that it might be best to start a new game."
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    @Dee

@fkirenicus

Thanks for the replies...........now just have to work out how to "back up my installation" just in case.
    Talking total moron here, it takes me an age to find the files at the best of times to install a mod.
    Why do computers hide things all over the damn place?

I think I need to call on the children for this.

But in no hurry, Beamdog will get my custom eventually and what's a couple of weeks after 18 years.
    Riiight. I started a game on version 2.0 on my computer, transferred it to my Android device and could play through the prologue without any incident. However, once I tell Gorion I'm ready to leave, and he has said I must go to the Friendly Arm Inn the game crashes and Android reports that "Baldur's Gate has stopped working".
    Will look more into this later today - but it seems save game compatibility may be broken after all.
    From what I can find, save game compatibility between 2.0 and 1.3 IS broken. Bug 22313 submitted.
  • Sids1188Sids1188 Member Posts: 165

I REALLY hope we will be given the option of going back to 1.3 or at least given the choice which UI (elements) we want to use, but I fear that's pretty futile. I do hope Beamdog proves me wrong, though. I also hope that save incompatibility is looked into and fixed, if it is indeed broken and can be fixed.

Not sure which platform you're using but if you're on steam that should be possible.
    Rightclick on the game in your library list, choose properties>betas, and on the dropdown list which probably says "NONE", change it to bg_ee_1.3.

Note: I haven't tried this myself, as I'm liking the update. But it should work.
    Purchased directly from Beamdog, so that's unfortunately not an option. Besides, from what I hear that beta is quite bad...?
  • Sids1188Sids1188 Member Posts: 165
    edited April 2016

Purchased directly from Beamdog, so that's unfortunately not an option. Besides, from what I hear that beta is quite bad...?

If you purchase through Beamdog, you are supposed to be able to send a message to their support and they give you a steam key.

That's not the beta. The beta is what has now become 2.0 (which in my opinion is and was a big improvement, some might disagree). The beta tab is just the menu that Steam uses to allow different versions - it's intended for betas, but old versions can be put on it too. That should give you v1.3, which is what the non-beta people had before the update. Doing this could cause problems with multiplayer (since it isn't the supported version), and you will obviously lose the 2.0 features, like the Shaman class.

I've had other games that got broken by an update. People just do this to revert to before the patch and wait for a hotfix to be released and make it more stable.
  • Francois42424Francois42424 Member Posts: 44
    Sids1188 said:

If you purchase through Beamdog, you are supposed to be able to send a message to their support and they give you a steam key.

That's not the beta. The beta is what has now become 2.0 (which in my opinion is and was a big improvement, some might disagree). The beta tab is just the menu that Steam uses to allow different versions - it's intended for betas, but old versions can be put on it too. That should give you v1.3, which is what the non-beta people had before the update. Doing this could cause problems with multiplayer (since it isn't the supported version), and you will obviously lose the 2.0 features, like the Shaman class.

I've had other games that got broken by an update. People just do this to revert to before the patch and wait for a hotfix to be released and make it more stable.
    Good to know. I will send them a ticket and hope it does not take 2-4 weeks for a response.
    Then I shall quadruple backup the old version for future uses. Had I read the forum BEFORE runing the 3.2gb update yesterday I would not have lost so much time with this.

A suggestion for Beamdog? Old classic Interface should be a bullet-point option in the menu (with a restart required most likely) for those of us who just want the classic experience. It should not take you long to make and would make A LOT of ppl like us happy.
  • MythagoMythago Member Posts: 23
    It shouldn't take weeks. I sent a Steam key request right after SoD launch and got a reply in 4 days, I think. They must've had a ton of request, too, at that time.
  • Incantus89Incantus89 Member Posts: 28
    Disliked the new UI at first, still feel that the BG2 one needs an update asap. But honestly, I've gotten use to the new changes by now and barely notice the difference, and it works fine imo.

I can understand that some people find it annoying, but Im seriously starting to wonder if people have corrupt installations or something, because I've had 0 issues with this version of the game.
  • Francois42424Francois42424 Member Posts: 44

Disliked the new UI at first, still feel that the BG2 one needs an update asap. But honestly, I've gotten use to the new changes by now and barely notice the difference, and it works fine imo.

I can understand that some people find it annoying, but Im seriously starting to wonder if people have corrupt installations or something, because I've had 0 issues with this version of the game.

Well if at least it didn't have the paper animated sprites over the old BG background, I might not have jumped the gun and went along with it... but as it stands right now it's very annoying. The character models look cartoon-ish and it feels more like a bad iOS port than BG:EE I eagerly bought back then.

I was perfectly happy the way BG:EE was before... I was happy with what I paid for and wasn't really asking for more. The extra new characters and their story where all awesome and a nice touch of freshness in my 10h-11th run thru the game. Looking thru Quill18's YouTube series it had appeared as tho the version he was running (as of Dec'2015) was even MORE beautiful and nice than the one I was playing in 2013. It was a severe case of W-T-F moment when I got to play the game last Friday and not being able to get the graphics to that level (anymore).

I've tried to get 2 more times into the game today... I really just cannot stand this new interface.
    Hence my suggestion to BeamDog about giving a choice as to which graphics/UI you want to use in the menu. It makes so much sense, especially since a lot of folks appear to not mind the ugly new character model (maybe I'm that much of a stickler to the old graphics?).

It's very annoying not to be able to douse the itch and play the game the way I remember it.
    I hope I get an answer (and my steam key) sooner than later...
  • NoobaccaNoobacca Member Posts: 139

Well if at least it didn't have the paper animated sprites over the old BG background, I might not have jumped the gun and went along with it... but as it stands right now it's very annoying. The character models look cartoon-ish and it feels more like a bad iOS port than BG:EE I eagerly bought back then.

I was perfectly happy the way BG:EE was before... I was happy with what I paid for and wasn't really asking for more. The extra new characters and their story where all awesome and a nice touch of freshness in my 10h-11th run thru the game. Looking thru Quill18's YouTube series it had appeared as tho the version he was running (as of Dec'2015) was even MORE beautiful and nice than the one I was playing in 2013. It was a severe case of W-T-F moment when I got to play the game last Friday and not being able to get the graphics to that level (anymore).

I've tried to get 2 more times into the game today... I really just cannot stand this new interface.
    Hence my suggestion to BeamDog about giving a choice as to which graphics/UI you want to use in the menu. It makes so much sense, especially since a lot of folks appear to not mind the ugly new character model (maybe I'm that much of a stickler to the old graphics?).

It's very annoying not to be able to douse the itch and play the game the way I remember it.
    I hope I get an answer (and my steam key) sooner than later...
    I agree 100%. I didn't think that there was anything wrong with the old record/spell books to warrant a change. I've looked through the feature request forums and didn't see anyone complaining or requesting these changes. I understand that some people might like these changes, but a group of beta testers saying, "yeah it's fine" don't speak on behalf of the whole community. Beamdog should give people the option to change them back using the baldur.ini file like they did with the "ranger/cleric gains Druid spells" option. Or even simpler, give a shout out to the mod that the changes were inspired by and let people check it out for themselves.

/end rant
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,076
    Philhelm said:

It took me about five minutes to find my APR stat last night.

Well, now you know where it is.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636

"WARNING! The game is about to patched to version 2.0. This will result in new UI and several other fundamental game changes. Also, contents in the override folder will be deleted.
    Do you wish to continue?"

As per every single game EVER...the default patcher shows the newest update and lists patch notes. If you're too lazy to read that, that's YOUR FAULT.
    I would like to remind everyone that personal attacks and rudeness are both things that we do not tolerate here. Be mindful of the Site Rules as you discuss things.

The offending posts have been removed from this thread; carry on and be excellent to each other.
    edited May 2016
    Dee said:

I would like to remind everyone that personal attacks and rudeness are both things that we do not tolerate here. Be mindful of the Site Rules as you discuss things.

The offending posts have been removed from this thread; carry on and be excellent to each other.

But the attack on me, that's OK? Even though the offender admitted his accusations were wrong?

Clearly, accusing people of "whining" and declaring their views invalid are within site rules, whereas replying in kind isn't. Not even simply saying such people do not decide what is a valid complaint appears to be within "site rules", since you decided to delete that post as well.
    Very well. I - we all - get the picture.
  • Magnus_GrelichMagnus_Grelich Member Posts: 361
    edited May 2016
    Just found this out myself.
    Beamdog, what the hell have you done to my game??

The new look is atrocious, and the interfaces childish and patronising. This looks more like some online knock-off than Baldur's Gate now.
    Over the last few months, I have become seriously disappointed in you, and what you are doing to a classic. I don't recall anyone being consulted about these changes. At the least, I most certainly had no forewarning. There comes a time when you have to step back and ask yourself "do I really need to do this pointless thing?"

Unbelievable.

Addendum: Dee, you are already unpopular enough with your 'moderation', as shown by the backlash against fkirenicus. You are supposed to remain neutral in this, not virtue-signal and shut down anyone who challenges you.

Dee said:

But the attack on me, that's OK? Even though the offender admitted his accusations were wrong?

Clearly, accusing people of "whining" and declaring their views invalid are within site rules, whereas replying in kind isn't. Not even simply saying such people do not decide what is a valid complaint appears to be within "site rules".
    Very well. I see.
    No, that wasn't okay either. I'm leaving it there as a reminder of what I was referring to; the rest are removed because they pull the discussion further away from the topic in the first post.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    @Magnus_Grelich Let's try to 1) stay on topic, 2) refrain from discussing people.

The OP is concentrated on the new UI from 2.0 version and a chance (or a lack of it) to return to the UI from 1.3 version.

While it indeed may be disappointing for some players, you still have to try to offer constuctive critique, so that the developers knew what exactly you would like to see/to be changed.

Ever since 2.0 version went into the public beta, players have been sharing their opinions and views on new features, and UI among them. It has been stated in the patch notes that the UI is a subject of further tweaking.

As Dee pointed out in this thread, you can create Redmine tickets, or you can express you views on the forum, but it would help everyone if while doing so you give more than just talking about your attitude towards the developers.
    edited May 2016

The new look is atrocious, and the interfaces childish and patronising. This looks more like some online knock-off than Baldur's Gate now.

I still fail to understand why folks like yourself are complaining about modern intuitive look and feel. Would you prefer that we scroll through a giant info section in the hopes that we don't scroll past that single line we're actually looking for? There's no way people can say that wasn't an awful system. It was on par with other systems of the day, but we have so much better systems today. The new UI IS a better system.

edited May 2016
    Wouldn't it be great if you could choose what you want, and those that disagree with you could choose what they want?And no, the new UI IS not a better system - YOU think it's a better system. And of course you have every right to think so.

But, to pay respect in kind - didn't you previously say people must read things carefully? Why is it such a bother for you to scroll through "a giant info section" :smiley: in order to find the line you're looking for? "A giant info section"? 20-30 lines, at most? :smile:
    Calm down, dude.

And no, the new UI is NOT the reason I'm less than satisfied (though I disagree that it's intuitive) - my main complaint is that save game compatibility is broken, and won't be fixed until the Android version gets the upgrade. For one who eagerly plays the (same) game(s) at both PC and mobile devices (and thus have spent a fair amount of money on the games), that's simply disastrous. Fortunately I found I could use the (legit) 1.3 version installed on my work computer also on my private computer. So all my problems are solved for now, but I won't update at least until Android and PC versions match again.

But, to pay respect in kind - didn't you previously say people must read things carefully? Why is it such a bother for you to scroll through "a giant info section" :smiley: in order to find the line you're looking for? "A giant info section"? 20-30 lines, at most? :smile:

Because it's an inefficient way to present the information.

And no, the new UI is NOT the reason I'm less than satisfied (though I disagree that it's intuitive) - my main complaint is that save game compatibility is broken

This is a problem with every game and patching. It's typically unavoidable.

For one who eagerly plays the (same) game(s) at both PC and mobile devices, that's simply disastrous. Fortunately I found I could use the (legit) 1.3 version installed on my work computer also on my private computer. So all my problems are solved for now, but I won't update at least until Android and PC versions match again.

That's your choice.
    edited May 2016
    Gee, how generous you are! :smile: My choice, really? Do you actually mean that?

Because it's an inefficient way to present the information.

No, it isn't. YOU think so, we are many that disagree.