Skip to content

Anyone starting their Character fresh in SoD to minimize power?

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    I tried. I just can't start a new game as it feels wrong to me. I have a similar feeling with tob. starting bg2 with a new character thats fine but not tob.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    I started fresh for my second playthrough, although I increased the starting XP to 161,000 since I'm playing on Insane (no extra damage) difficulty. The first playthrough was too much of a cakewalk with all of the items I imported from my BG save.
  • Quill_ArmguardQuill_Armguard Member Posts: 53
    I did, I play bg1 without level cap, which I figured would interfere with SOD. On the plus side, starting with little xp on insane was not that hard in the starting dungeon if you scout well and sleep a lot to regain the good spells. Generally I like the fact that it gives me another reason to go through the game thoroughly and slowly. On the down side, I have to reload a few times because things kept killing Safana because of the path finding. And it does take long into the game before levelling up.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

On the plus side, starting with little xp on insane was not that hard in the starting dungeon if you scout well and sleep a lot to regain the good spells.

Wait. You can actually rest in the starting dungeon? Every time I tried, I was ambushed by a horde of undead. I assumed that since it's filled with undead and Sarevok's minions, resting would be impossible. I always made sure to use spells and equipment sparingly (such as using the Flaming Fist healer for curing spells) so I would have enough for the final battle.
    well, I don't remember the exact effect but I positioned my party in between the flaming fists that follow you. Perhaps there were still undead but after once or twice we'd manage to rest.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I managed to rest as well although I was attacked a few times before succeeding.
  • cdxcdx Member Posts: 90
    My first character was 64k Fighter/Thief, my second one - 64k Sorcerer both starting from SoD. I have a couple of current BGEE runs but it's probably going to be months before one is ready for SoD.

Although, I can't say I'm did that to minimise power:
    I spend all the 30,000gp on scrolls and potions on the second run. It was quite funny doing the quest for my lost treasure, knowing that it was less than 50gp :)
    cdx said:

My first character was 64k Fighter/Thief, my second one - 64k Sorcerer both starting from SoD. I have a couple of current BGEE runs but it's probably going to be months before one is ready for SoD.

Although, I can't say I'm did that to minimise power:

I spend all the 30,000gp on scrolls and potions on the second run. It was quite funny doing the quest for my lost treasure, knowing that it was less than 50gp :)
    No sense in wasting it . . .

since we'll never see it again. I think I had 9gp left in my current run ~.^
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    thespace said:

As opposed to marching into it from BG1, with a maxed XP, tome loaded, potions/arrows/scrolls/magic weapon maxed character?

Right when I bought SoD I tried to go in min power, and it just...didn't sit right with me and I had to start fresh from Candlekeep, not because of min power necessarily but because it felt like I needed to go on the journey with everyone before I have Minsc get me all teary-eyed like that. That said, if I'm gonna play BG1, I'm gonna do every sidequest my Rep/alignment allows (and tinker with rep to get some of them done anyway!) because that's all part of the journey, so I'll be coming into SoD armed to the teeth lol
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    baldurs gate is like mass effect. it's one long story broken up into four games. you need to start from the evry beginning to get the best experience. starting with the expansion packs is weird as it feels like your missing something.
  • kensaikensai Member Posts: 228
    edited April 2016
    Me, started SOD with kensai dualled to 1 lvl mage. It was hard on begining of legacy of bhaal. But fun. Can't beat final boss right now =|
    My BG1 character was too powerful.
    that's a good idea. I like the notion of joining Imoen in dualing just after having killed Sarevok. What I would want to prevent is the levelling up of your party at the start of SOD. It's more fun if they have low XP as well.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Well I haven't played bg1 for a loong time. I am more of a bg2 guy. So I started fresh from SoD, it was allright once I managed to understand how I can add a multiplayer character to work. If I start straight mp I don't have starter party or equipment. If I start from single, then ditch one member and then copy the save to mp folder to import a previously created and decked out character, save the game, then transfer the save back to single player save section. It was a bit messy but it worked.
  • laptopman666laptopman666 Member Posts: 283
    mlnevese said:

I managed to rest as well although I was attacked a few times before succeeding.

yep same, i usually can only successfully rest 1 out of 3 times
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    I'm just cruising through BG1 on Story Mode, as I didn't feel like doing another good-aligned run but I wanted to finally get a chance to carry the Neera romance in BG2. I'm skipping most sidequests so I won't even be close to the level cap, though.

I may just start straight in SoD when I get around to an evil run (since I'll probably romance Hexxat again), or I may end up playing through since evil runs tend to be a bit more interesting.
  • mewp12mewp12 Member Posts: 61
    When I started our SoD I created a party. When you finish the first you wake up in the palace but the acript told me I had lost my crew, but they were still there.
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    I will on replay. I've never actually rolled a male CHAR in BG, but I cannot resist trying out David Warner's "commanding male" - so that'll give me a perfect excuse!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited April 2016
    thespace said:

bengoshi said:

64kXP with next-to-no equipment against 200k+ (230k in my case) XP with all spells and wands (and Safana as a thief dual classed to a mage, with 5th spell level spells)?

It's hard to choose the former for me, especially when it's a character who went through the Durlag's, the Werewolves, defeated SCS Sarevok and Co.

What's your strategy for dualing Safana? What level?
    You know, because I had been cherishing the dream to play the first BG game in many years, I had taken a preparation for that very seriously. I started a special BGEE run just for my first SoD experience.

I also figured out the following: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/45246/just-a-thought-for-those-playing-through-bgee-for-sod-a-good-choice-would-be-to-take-safana#latest

I first met Safana when my cleric/thief was lvl 1, so that she never levelled up without my influence. Then I dropped her and played till the BG city without her. Then I took the INT tome and returned to Safana. Levelled her to the 4th level, putting all possible points into Disarm Traps (so that my character didn't develop this skill, focusing on other abilities).

Then I levelled her to a mage and played through all BG1 and TotSC quests. The result:

Safana covers the Disarm Traps skill in my party, uses the Army Scythe and is able to cast Chaos right at the start of SoD.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on