Skip to content

Beamdog engine?

(Perhaps this has been brought up before, I don't know, but..)

To the developers:

I wonder if you ever intend to create your own game engine?
I remember recently seeing in some thread, Trent Oster saying that "the technical debt has been paid".
As someone who works in software development(to some extent games, but nothing close to game engine-refactoring) I understand that you do not want to pay the technical debt, that is to say, spend time, money and effort refactor and object-orient all night long for a long time only to switch to something new in the near future.
(That makes no sense programming-wise or business-wise, I think)
Will Beamdog continue to use the Infinity Engine for a long time?
There are probably a lot of factors at play which I do not understand at all(the business-side of fact that it's Bioware's engine, the inner workings of the engine, fan opinions, the relationship with WotC, etc.), but to me it would seem like a huge advantage to build a new engine:
- Get rid of old code that's been bothering you for 15 years.
- Get a chance to rethink the architecture based on lessons learned.
- Make it even more moddable.
- Shorten future contents development time by adapting everything to modern methods.
- 3D(Not necessarily perspective-wise 3D like Neverwinter Nights, but for example a locked-camera perspective-wise de facto 2D leveraging 3Ds advantage of using models instead of pre-rendered sprites, etc.)
- Ingrained cheese removal(Although then I would be scared of beholders..)

Is it like, you want to do that but it's too expensive and/or resource-consuming, or you just don't want to do that?

(I have been playing BG/IWD since it was first released, but my understanding of the Infinity Engine is limited to haphazardly opening random files in a text editor last week..)

Comments

• DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    It is unlikely that Beamdog would use the Infinity Engine to make a new game. They would be more likely to use a complete toolset, like Unity.
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    Amberion said:

like Unity

please no, anything but that
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited February 2016
    Is it possible to rewrite IE with physically based shading and implement particle system, Vulcan API and some physics engine? Then it would be possible to make a game with already known scripts and rulesets. Basically, to heavily modify IE.
  • OsigoldOsigold Member Posts: 117
    I hope they do make a full game using the Infinity Engine, not only 'cos I'm rather fond of it but also because it increases the chances that they'll use 2nd Edition AD&D rules, which would be great.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    The last word we had from Beamdog on this matter was in their AMA a little more than a year ago:

"I had reached out to Obsidian to discuss licensing the Pillars tech, but given both our busy schedules, a discussion hasn't happened yet. I think it would be a funny reversal as Icewind Dale was built upon the Infinity Engine, which was Licensed from Bioware when I was a Project Director there. We're still talking through our future technology options as there are many paths we could take."

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2msl96/we_are_beamdog_developers_of_baldurs_gate_i_ii/cm77b6o

I'm sure they have had enough time to discuss licensing the Unity engine during the passed year.
  • drakirdrakir Member Posts: 61
    bengoshi said:

"I had reached out to Obsidian to discuss licensing the Pillars tech, but given both our busy schedules, a discussion hasn't happened yet. I think it would be a funny reversal as Icewind Dale was built upon the Infinity Engine, which was Licensed from Bioware when I was a Project Director there. We're still talking through our future technology options as there are many paths we could take."

I see, thanks for the info
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    I'm pretty sure Pillars of Eternity was built on Unity.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    @SethDavis
    Why you hating on unity?
    edited February 2016
    @DragonKing - it just kinda has too many ways to do the same thing. You can use javaScript, c#, object settings, template settings, environment settings etc and depending on how you do it you may or may not be able to look back on how you did it from the commit entry, and unless you've been using it for a long time you're going to have to look up tutorials on how to do a lot of things, a lot of which are out dated and you rarely find two in a row that use the same approach and then multiply that by however many people you have coding the thing and oh god make it stop!
    SethDavis said:

@DragonKing - it just kinda has too many ways to do the same thing. You can use javaScript, c#, object settings, template settings, environment settings etc and depending on how you do it you may or may not be able to look back on how you did it from the commit entry, and unless you've been using it for a long time you're going to have to look up tutorials on how to do a lot of things, a lot of which are out dated and you rarely find two in a row that use the same approach and then multiply that by however many people you have coding the thing and oh god make it stop!

What about workflow of Unreal engine and 2.5D game?
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    @SethDavis
    I've worked with both unreal and unity in the past, more intensively with unreal, but from what I so of unity back in 2010-2012; it was definitely kicked unreals -beep-

I haven't worked with any engine since I left game design though.
    edited March 2016
    Which engine could cradle BGNext with the most optimized workflow and the most satisfied outcome?
    Licence/fee: UE,Unity,Frostbite,Cryengine,IE...
    Free: Godot 2, Monogame(framework)
    Post edited by brus on
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    It's been confirmed today that the next game by Beamdog will not use the IE engine.

Phillip Daigle: "Me too holding out hope the next project will be a modernized engine. We want to leave the IE-era games in an excellent state and then move on to something more modern eventually. Those are basically plans for the future: a new engine would give an improved ability to create content."

https://www.reddit.com/r/baldursgate/comments/48tw5i/siege_of_dragonspear_collectors_edition_and/d0mm06r
    hmmm, the "next" game part might be drawing a bit too much from that post, but nobody tells me anything so you may be right
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    SethDavis wrote: »
    hmmm, the "next" game part might be drawing a bit too much from that post

ICEWIND DALE 3 WITH INFINITY PLUS PLUS CONFIRMED!!!
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    With definite tie ins to Half-Life 3.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2016
    Dee wrote: »
    With definite tie ins to Half-Life 3.

And maybe some tie ins to Age of Empires 4? :)
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    And iRing support!
  • illathidillathid Member Posts: 320
    bengoshi wrote: »
    The last word we had from Beamdog on this matter was in their AMA a little more than a year ago:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2msl96/we_are_beamdog_developers_of_baldurs_gate_i_ii/cm77b6o

I'm sure they have had enough time to discuss licensing the Unity engine during the passed year.

It'd be cool to see more games using the Eternity Engine. There's already PoE and T:ToN, and Tyranny is supposed to come out this year as well.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    poe's unity implementation is super hardware intensive and doesn't run on ipad. graphically it's not much ahead of ie's potential (with bigger sprites, better animation and movement). in that case, better just stick with the ie and keep improving it.
  • OldTimeRadioOldTimeRadio Member Posts: 26
    Glad I saw this thread. I've been heavily modding NWN 1 for about 8 straight years now (here's my YouTube channel), and it would be exceedingly easy to turn the NWN's Aurora engine into a very modern version of the 2D Infinity Engine. It wouldn't be a "turnkey" solution. I definitely don't want to claim that. But most of the graphics functions required for turning NWN into a 2D game engine are already there. Nobody has taken the time to do a proof of concept with it, but it's almost all there in the form of what're called "emitters", including animating sprite sheets and so on.

Except for the UI elements, it wouldn't even look like Neverwinter. It would look like Baldur's Gate or Planescape: Torment or whatever other sprites were loaded and used. With simultaneous 64-player online support and a Windows toolset more or less out of the box, to name a few perks. This is one aspect of the Aurora engine I consistently notice being overlooked.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    the only problem with the current infinity engine implementations is small sprites. it can be much more with bigger sprites.
    PS:T did a good job there. it looked extremely modern when it came out because of the big sprites. animations were really good too. even today, when 2d game art and 2d animation is more appreciated than back then (and seen as something with a distinct aesthetic value, and not something that must be replaced with 3d in the future), similar graphics in higher resolution would still look sufficiently modern for the genre.
    edited April 2016
    PoE has 2d prerendered scenes but uses full rigged 3d character models. When searching for engine, there is a lot of pros and cons for every engine. The team will choose the one in which is most comfortable with.
    Btw, Cryengine V introduced pay-what you-want licence with percentage fee. Altough, it has steap learning curve.
    Unity with latest beta introduced quite polished lighting renderer and it's the easiest engine to handle. We'll see will it shift toward something devs can rely on.
    UE4 is all-in-one engine but also can take a long time to make a game for a small team. I believe there are some Bioware's Mass Effect gameplay programmers in Beamdog team who have some experience with UDK/UE4.
    Also, CDProjekt is licencing REDengine. It has quite 3rd party tools like Havok and Scaleform GFx...
    Every engine mentioned has console port so BGNext can target wider market and I think it's important that it should.
    Post edited by brus on
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I'd love for beamdognext to be in 3E or 5E if it's better.

I like 2E well enough but I really like the character building in 3E better there's just not enough choice in 2E.