Skip to content

Should 'SOD Characters' be a DLC for Baldur's Gate 2?

Comments

• Camus34Camus34 Member Posts: 210
    edited April 2016
    KhalDrogo said:

@Calemyr Agreed. If she appears at all, though, it's likely not to be looking for you. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Neb is all the reason she needs. Neb was imprisoned in the FF prison, but found in the Bridge District in BG2. Neb is a serial child-killer who imprisons the souls of the children he slays. Think about that. Corwin of all people would chase that sick psycho to beyond the sword coasts if given the mission, especially now that she was in SoD and has some adventuring experience, especially if her ties to the Scion are getting her hate mail from the Silvershield residence.

So, there you have it. Corwin is wandering Athkatla, looking for a clue to the gnomish mass murderer, when suddenly she sees the Scion walking by on the other side of the street. She calls out to them and asks for their help. Lots of things can be said, not all of which are nice, but ultimately can agree to help. Like Corwin or not, Neb is something that needs to be stopped, right?

While pursuing the guy, conversation drifts to what happened after you escaped Baldur's Gate. Irenicus comes up, and Corwin is horrified to hear how you've been spending your time since, and doubly so to hear about Imoen, who she never got to adventure with but seemed like such a nice girl. By the time Neb bites it, Corwin is miserable. She wants to go home so bad she could cry, but she needs to make this right. The way she parted ways with the Scion haunts her - the opportunities missed, the justice ill served, the question she now regrets. And if Irenicus truly has that dagger? Maybe it's worth putting off the long trip home, just for a little while longer...
    If my memory serve, once we killed this son of *** named Ned, and we bring his ugly face head to the autority, the lieutenant don't remember his name, say that he will contact the autority of Baldur's Gate AKA The Flaming Fist. Let's just say that after this quest, Corwin can appear in the game to seek the head....
    Not a very compelling reason...Collecting a decapitated head. lol
    KhalDrogo
  • GozetaGozeta Member Posts: 105
    I believe the characters from SOD should be incorporated into BG2, for free and not as a separate DLC. Now if a new expansion came along for BG2. I would not mind paying for said content. When the company made these new companions that I fell in love with, I automatically thought they would be available for BG2. I would really like this done. ^.^
    Stoibs
    Gozeta said:

I believe the characters from SOD should be incorporated into BG2, for free and not as a separate DLC. Now if a new expansion came along for BG2. I would not mind paying for said content. When the company made these new companions that I fell in love with, I automatically thought they would be available for BG2. I would really like this done. ^.^

Incorporated in separate content that you...download? Which is DLC, and could be free. DLC or downloadable content, does not imply that it must be payed for. (As has been said multiple times in this thread.)
    illathid
  • KhalDrogoKhalDrogo Member Posts: 60
    @Camus34

Well you're right it's not enough, but we could also add the slave district in Athkatla, after all they're children inside the ring, one of them could be Corwin's daughter, with her father (Corwin) inside too.
    KhalDrogo said:

@Camus34

Well you're right it's not enough, but we could also add the slave district in Athkatla, after all they're children inside the ring, one of them could be Corwin's daughter, with her father (Corwin) inside too.

Her "father (Corwin)"? Not sure what you are saying.

I was thinking that the story for Corwin should focus around Corwins daughter. Therefore there is no Flaming Fist stuff that will get in the way of Corwin being in Amn. And that story should probably stretch into TOB.
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    I would welcome it if it was taken as a chance to develop the story arch and character depth. I'd perso rather pay more for a substantial story-line than get it cheap and cheerful with little further development.

Perso, I'd be rooting for a M'Khiin story in which she'll evolve into "a Drizzt of goblins" while shedding light how traditional goblin society works in contrast to her individual character.

Well, okei, since Voghiln was a cad to an amusing degree, but did not really treat me right, he could simply be thrown into cohorts with Coran and Lanfear with tragic or awkward consequences. A romanced Ano would really seethe on that one, I wager!
    edited April 2016

Incorporated in separate content that you...download? Which is DLC, and could be free. DLC or downloadable content, does not imply that it must be payed for. (As has been said multiple times in this thread.)

No. Like they did with Dorn, Neera and Rasaad. There was no separate DLC. I shouldn't have to select a DLC and download it, it should just be there in one of the pataches. Like I was saying.

*Edit on point not making any sense. Originally stating "...separate download or DLC."
    Ziminair
    edited April 2016
    Gozeta said:

No. Like they did with Dorn, Neera and Rasaad. There was no seperate download or DLC. I shouldn't have to select a DLC and download it, it should just be there in one of the pataches. Like I was saying.
    So how do you patch your games, with a needle and thread, or do you download it? lol
    illathid
    No. Like they did with Dorn, Neera and Rasaad. There was no seperate download or DLC. I shouldn't have to select a DLC and download it, it should just be there in one of the pataches. Like I was saying.
    So how do you patch your games, with a needle and thread, or do you download it? lol
    I meant there was no seperate DLC. I just wrote that without thinking. I have to obviously download the update.

Ziminair
    edited April 2016
    Gozeta said:

I meant there was no seperate DLC. I just wrote that without thinking. I have to obviously download the update.

An 'update' that will bring the SOD characters into BG2, a game that they have never been in. Yes?
    illathid
    edited April 2016
    @Camus34
    Yes, but without the quotation marks on the word, update, and you have it.
    Ziminair
    Gozeta said:

@Camus34
    Yes, but without the quotation marks on the word, update, and you have it.

So you are downloading new characters (content) into BG2.
    illathid
    @Camus34
    Just an auto download and play. No need for a DLC store.
    Ziminair
    Gozeta said:

@Camus34
    Just an auto download and play. No need for a DLC store.

Ok, let's try this again, DLC stands for what?
    illathid
    edited April 2016
    @Camus34
    OK, lets try this again. I recommend a patch with content. As DLC won't necessarily fix things, just adds things.
    Ziminair
    Gozeta said:

@Camus34
    OK, lets try this again. I recommend a patch with content. As DLC won't necessarily fix things, just adds things.

So you are asking for free content included in a patch, that you download, and for some reason you think the acronym DLC (Downloadable content ) does not apply. Would I be wrong in thinking that you just want the added content for free, and you have some feeling that calling it downloadable content will mean that you will have to pay for it? There is nothing wrong with wanting it for free, it just does not make sense to say that new content that you download into your game is not downloadable content.
    illathidmf2112
    @Camus34
    Lets call it an update.
    Ziminair
    Gozeta said:

@Camus34
    Lets call it an update.

No, and there is no us. Perhaps you should face your dlc phobia. lol
    Gozetaillathidrorikonmf2112
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    they could do what skull girls did for it's character dlc. for the first month it is free if you already bought the game.

they could do what skull girls did for it's character dlc. for the first month it is free if you already bought the game.

I think the Wicther 3 is the best example of free DLC. But the cost will depend on both, the work put into the content, and how honest Beamdog are concerning the work that goes into the content.
  • illathidillathid Member Posts: 320

illathid said:

Stoibs said:

DLC is such a dirty word in regards to the video game industry these days.
    No I wouldn't like to see them being nickel and dimed for 99c each on the steam store.

Would I like to see them either patched in or supplied as an official dev-created optional mod pack? Absolutely.

Wording of the poll is just suspect.

Yeah, because people shouldn't be paid for the work they do. :expressionless:
    Rawgrim said:

The Baldur's Gate + DLC. No. Just...no. Lets not EA'ify Baldur's Gate.

There's no meaningful difference between DLC and an expansion except delivery method.
    There is also no difference between DLC and mod, except mod means not official DLC. (or DLC means official mod).

That depends. Barring most circumstances you can't pay someone for a mod they make (as they usually don't have the rights to the property). And the officialness of DLC you mention has some benefits (and some costs as well).
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    KhalDrogo said:

If my memory serve, once we killed this son of *** named Ned, and we bring his ugly face head to the autority, the lieutenant don't remember his name, say that he will contact the autority of Baldur's Gate AKA The Flaming Fist. Let's just say that after this quest, Corwin can appear in the game to seek the head....

I don't think that'd work as well as letting her tag along for the search. I mean, with the way @Calemyr sets it up, you'd have a fair amount of talking between you and Corwin by the time you catch the killer, so you'd want to space some of that discussion out. And honestly, the quest as it is is pretty well set-up for that, since you'd first need to talk to the Helmites, then to Sarles, then to Jernia, then to Unger Hilldark before finding Neb's hideout. That's a lot of running around that would make it feel more natural for Corwin to reach the conclusion that she still owes you and should stick around.
    edited April 2016
    Camus34 said:

KhalDrogo said:

@Camus34

Her "father (Corwin)"? Not sure what you are saying.

I was thinking that the story for Corwin should focus around Corwins daughter. Therefore there is no Flaming Fist stuff that will get in the way of Corwin being in Amn. And that story should probably stretch into TOB.
    Edit: Though I must admit, if Corwin showed up asking for "a little head" I would laugh my ass off like the weird hyena "Ed" from the lion king. lol

illathid
    edited April 2016
    Calemyr said:

Personally, I wouldn't want anything to happen to the old man or Rohma, for one simple reason: it would cheapen the actual drama. What makes Corwin an intriguing subject to me is that, at this point, she is being pulled in too many directions at once. She wants to remain a Flaming Fist to keep making her father proud. She wants to a mother. She wants to be a woman with a chance at love - or at least a meaningful friendship. And she simply can't find a way to have them all. Somehow, somewhere, she's going to have to sacrifice someone. She's already tried that once, with the Scion. That request she made still rings in her ears, and in its echoes you can hear her dreams die. And now she has a chance to start again. How can she not try? But who takes the Scion's place as the sacrifice?

Kill the old man, drag Rohma into slavery, and it would only make it easier. For all the pain it would cause, it would simplify the conflict. It makes the decision for her. That is weak. Schael Corwin should be the one to define herself, to decide what matters to her, and to fight like hell to figure out how to achieve it. That is the meaty conflict, here. That is how you make a strong female NPC - not a victim of circumstance, but through passion and resolve the arbiter of her own life.

And honestly, I feel that fits in well with the themes of the Baldur's Gate series. As annoyed as I may be of blatant SJW stunts, the more I've thought about the whole storm around SoD the more I've come to conclusion I never expected I would. Namely, that Baldur's Gate is honestly the right place for this. The Baldur's Gate franchise is, when you get right down to it, a story of identity, about discovering who you really are when the world is all to quick to put a label on you and shove you in the corner. Frankly, the Scion should be able to relate to Mizhena's story - to share that same hunger to know who you truly are when everyone else would rather tell you what they think you are.

I mean, if you want proof, just look at the end of Baldur's Gate 2. To reach the final showdown with Irenicus and win your soul back, you must face five challenges. Not big, difficult fights, not by default, but rather challenging moral conundrums. Do you have the self control to resist temptation, or do you revel in the satisfaction of ripping Sarevok to pieces with the power he always thought should be his? When it falls to you and someone else, will you bear the potentially crippling burdens yourself or let someone else pay for your convenience. Do you stand by your morals, or do you take the convenient way out when it doesn't require you to get your hands dirty? Without even knowing what they were doing, the Scion warped this hellish cocoon into a way to determine who they really were and, through knowing themselves, find their errant soul.

And much like the Nameless One in Planescape: Torment drew those in personal torment to his side, the Scion attracts those who struggle to find themselves. A boy on the verge of manhood, who pins his entire social status on his ability to protect one woman. A man whose timid nature brands him a coward even as he overcomes those fears on a daily basis. A gnome driven by faith in a destiny that nobody but him could believe in. A girl who fights with every fiber in her being to remain innocent in spite of the horrors inflicted on her repeatedly. A girl for whom the very core of her identity has been hacked from her shoulders. A man who has sacrificed being a father and a husband in the name of being a soldier. A man who spent his entire life in dogged pursuit of an inheritance that was never meant to be his, forced to see the proper heir rise in his place. A man who has lost all sense of identity beyond the rage at what had been taken from him.

I hope that makes sense. It's 4 in the morning and I really should be asleep, so forgive me for rambling.

LOL How life works, we walk around thinking that we are 'masters' of our own fate but in reality nature and happenstance are our true masters, and nature itself has developed the delusion that hides this fact from us. Life will always take a turn for the worst. Her 'old man' will have to die someday, she won't be able to 'decide' him alive, her daughter will either die from disease or simply grow up and leave her as children do. And 'your' Corwin herself will die; someone who like Prufrock, was too parallelized by the 'decisions' (her dissonances, or conflicts) to eat the fucking peach.

As for the slavery plot etc. what they would do is give her insensitive to, I'll say, disturb the universe. Instead of being locked in the same old quagmire of conflicting decisions.
    Post edited by Camus34 on
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Patched in pls
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I think it would be fair enough to include certain SoD characters in BG2 for people who have bought SoD, but I don't think anyone who hasn't bought SoD should get them.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I 'm really enjoying SoD, and I think the new npc's fit that part of the game. However, I really wouldn't appreciate if they started adding tons of characters in SoA,specially if that's done by players demand or marketing research. For several reasons:

1- SoA npc's were created to blend woth the story. Some of them are citizens of athkatla, others are connected to stronghold quests, and most importantly, they were probably written by the same people. Original bg1 npc's might have appeared because fans love them so much, but they were also meant to blend with the scenario.

2- SoD npc's don't really fit SoA's dark plot. Jan , Haer D'alis and valygar are way darker tha their gnome, bard and ranger equivalents from sod.

3- As a story , having tons of already known npc's would break the plot. Why should everyone be transported to amn simply because we want it? I dont buy that "so I ended up in amn" talk all the time.

4- now that comes from an advertiser friend of mine - when a customer gets to decide everything , it fu#$ up the product. We dont always know what we want!
    RathenauGozetamf2112
    Fardragon said:

I think it would be fair enough to include certain SoD characters in BG2 for people who have bought SoD, but I don't think anyone who hasn't bought SoD should get them.

Or they could be downloaded separately. Therefore people can make the choice if they want new characters in BG2.
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    More NPC is always good! Though I would prefer Beamdog to work on addition of some recognition of events in SoD for BG2EE.
    illathidGenderNihilismGirdleBGLover
This discussion has been closed.