Skip to content

Found Archer class bug - doesn't match class description

QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
edited April 2016 in Troubleshooting
Archer doesn't receive the +1 to hit and damage with (x)bow at levels 21 and 30 (tested extensively). It's supposed to add itself every 3 levels but those are omitted. For example Kensai gains the +1 hit/dmg for melee every 3 levels as per its description all the way up to the exp cap.

Guess I'll have to EEkeeper those stats.

EDIT: version 2.1, not sure if it's present earlier too.

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Archers always lost some extra bonuses at epic levels. There was never an explanation; that's just how it's been.
  • QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    Adding them by EEkeeper one by one from lv 1-3; 4-6; 5-7 all the way up to the level cap properly adds them all. But adding them from lv 1 onwards to desired level skips two of them for whatever reason.

I can't take "never an explanation, always was the case" as "working as intended". I'm sure I wouldn't be alone there as it screams bug to me.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    We don't have an OFFICIAL verdict as to whether it is REALLY intended to work like this, however judging by what can be extracted from the game data, it does seem to be intentional. The bonus slows down past a certain level (18 I believe), likely to compensate for levels being easier to gain later on in the game (more powerful enemies give more XP, but the XP required per level is static past lvl 10).

As to why it's not like that for Kensai, I suppose it's because the original design seems to be clearly biased against Archers. The original designers likely thought that being able to stay out of harm's way was such a significant advantage that the power of Archers had to be curbed; that is why missile resistance is rampant, why there are no +4 arrows, and why Archer kit bonuses slow down. Kensai being more fragile by nature (melee and no armor) likely led them to allow full-growth progression instead of also introducing some sort of diminishing returns.

Given all that, and given the fact that we've known about this behavior for 10 years and it survived every patch and the EE remodel, I think it's safe to conclude this is intended and not a bug.
  • QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363

The original designers likely thought that being able to stay out of harm's way was such a significant advantage that the power of Archers had to be curbed; that is why missile resistance is rampant, why there are no +4 arrows, and why Archer kit bonuses slow down.

Then again you can make a fighter with a sling and strength belt with +4 bullets dealing more damage than otherwise proficiency-gimped archers at the cost of -1 attack given by bow.
    I don't see the reason in disallowing archers from having extra +2 hit/dmg (like it would change things). Especially when, as mentioned, half of the enemies are missile-(next to)immune. Anyway, seems like this won't change so I'll stick to keepering.
    I guess I just never noticed they didn't get all the bonuses during the 10+ years I knew and played the game, so I felt like posting it.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    edited April 2016
    The original ToB manual states
    Archers (Ranger kit):
    18th level: To Hit and damage bonus slows down to a rate of +1 every 5 levels.
    edit: rate not rete...