Skip to content

[v2.0] Arcane Archer, a ranged fighter and fighter/mage kit

TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
edited December 2018 in General Modding
The Arcane Archer is a component of The Artisan's Kitpack mod. Download it here:

Component 1: Fighter Kit

ARCANE ARCHER: Master of the elven warbands, the arcane archer is a warrior skilled in using magic to supplement their combat prowess. Beyond the woods, arcane archers gain renown throughout entire kingdoms for their supernatural accuracy with a bow and their ability to imbue their arrows with magic. In a group, they can strike fear into an entire enemy army. While human arcane archers are rare due to elvenkind withholding their secret techniques, they are not unheard of.

Advantages:

- +1 to hit with any missile weapon at level 1 and every 5 levels thereafter.
- Gains the Enhance Arrow ability.

ENHANCE ARROW: The arcane archer passively imbues his arrows with magic. Projectiles launched by the arcane archer are always treated as weapons of +1 enchantment and deal one extra point of magic damage, increasing by one for every five levels gained to a maximum of +5 enchantment and five magic damage at 20th level. Additional damage is affected by the target's magic resistance.

- 3rd level: May use Entropic Shield once per day.

ENTROPIC SHIELD: A magical field glowing with a multicolored hue appears around the arcane archer, providing immunity to normal missiles and a -2 bonus to armor class against missile weapons for 1 round per level. This bonus increases to -4 at 10th level and -6 at 17th level.

- 5th level: May use Imbue Arrow ability three times per day.

IMBUE ARROW: Using arcane magic, the arcane archer enchants his next missile within one round to explode, dealing 1d6 additional fire damage for every five levels gained thereafter in an area of effect.

- 9th level: May use Seeker Arrow ability once per day.

SEEKER ARROW: A skilled arcane archer can enchant his arrows to strike its target unerringly. His next missile attack within one round is a guaranteed critical hit and deals two points of extra damage for every five levels gained thereafter.

- 13th level: May use Phase Arrow ability once per day.

PHASE ARROW: An experienced arcane archer can enchant his next arrow within one round to become an incorporeal missile that penetrates armor, dealing 4d6 bonus magical damage and reducing the target's missile resistance by 50% as well as their armor class vs. missiles by two points every five levels gained thereafter for 1 turn.

- 17th level: May use Arrow of Death ability once per day.

ARROW OF DEATH: A master arcane archer can enchant his next arrow within one round to instantly slay his foe. Targets with more than 60 hit points may make a save vs. death to avoid the effect. Saving throw penalty increases by one for every five levels gained thereafter.

Disadvantages:

- Hit Die: d8
- THAC0 penalty of 2 when wielding a melee weapon.
- Race restricted to human, elf or half-elf.
- May not exceed proficiency (one slot) in weapons other than crossbows, longbows and shortbows.
- May not exceed proficiency (one slot) in any weapon style.
- May not wear armor heavier than elven chain mail.

Component 2: Fighter/Mage Kit

The kit may optionally be played as a fighter/mage multi-class instead. The same advantages and disadvantages apply. Fighter/mage arcane archers may achieve grandmastery in crossbows, longbows and shortbows.

Abilities

Entropic Shield - A magical field glowing with a multicolored hue appears around the arcane archer, providing immunity to normal missiles and a -2 bonus to armor class against missile weapons for 1 round per level. This bonus increases to -4 at 10th level and -6 at 17th level.
Imbue Arrow - Using arcane magic, the arcane archer enchants his next missile within one round to explode, dealing 1d6 additional fire damage for every five levels gained thereafter in an area of effect.
Seeker Arrow - A skilled arcane archer can enchant his arrows to strike its target unerringly. next missile attack within one round is a guaranteed critical hit and deals two points of extra damage for every five levels gained thereafter.
Phase Arrow - An experienced arcane archer can enchant his next arrow within one round to become an incorporeal missile that penetrates armor, reducing the target's missile resistance by 50% as well as their armor class vs. missiles by two points for every five levels gained thereafter.
Arrow of Death - A master arcane archer can enchant his next arrow within one round to instantly slay his foe on a failed save vs. death. Target's saving throw penalty is increased by one for every 5 levels gained thereafter.

Updates

v2
- Overhauled, added fighter/mage version

v1.3
- Italian translation added (credit to Aedan)

v1.2
- Mod traifyed.
- 
v1.1
- -2 penalty to Strength replaced with THAC0 penalty with melee weapons.
Post edited by TheArtisan on
AedanGoturalGrammarsaladmf2112Dexter_Luke_NoobaccaFishmalk_1

Comments

• dinindinin Member Posts: 11
    Hi! I tried to install it to my bgee steam version 2.0.62.2, but installation failed with error. Log attached.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    What the justification for the strength penalty? Being an archer requires tremendous upper body strength. Also can I confirm that this kit cannot use composite longbows due to their 18 strength requirement?
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    @decado The strength penalty (and hit die) are supposed to emphasize the 'do not melee' part. However the composite bow thing is a very good point. I'll probably change that to a melee THAC0 penalty.
    moody_mage
    @dinin Apparently SoD or patch 2.0 broke the way WeiDU works so just running the install doesn't work. I don't own the Steam version so I can't say what the specifics are. There might be a solution around the boards.
    Updated. -2 strength penalty replaced with +2 THAC0 penalty with melee weapons.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    This kit is very nice. I would like to translate it in Italian. Can you please make the .tra files available?
    Gotural
    Mod traify-ed and updated. @Aedan you can redownload for the file.
    AedanGotural
    Thank you so much! I am going to translate it :)
    Done! Attached the Italian translation. This kit is very nice and I enjoyed a lot the translation process.
    Gotural
    Added italian translation.
    AedanGotural
    Thank you very much!
    Gotural
    @Artemius_I
    I installed the mod with success, but the game crashes to desktop when I try to select the Arcane Archer kit.
    The reason of this CTD is explained here:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/760871/#Comment_760871
    Can you please consider the chance to update the mod in the way suggested by @Erg ?
    Gotural
    @Aedan I've updated the latest release. You can try it and see if it works now.
    AedanGotural
    Thank you.
    I got this error when I tried to install the mod (attached the debug file):

Gotural
    @Aedan My bad. Missed typo while copying. Strangely I'm not getting any errors. Fixed, hopefully.
    Gotural
    I can install the mod, but I get this message:

Also, the game crashed when I try to select the kit.
    2.JPG 43.3K
    Gotural
    @Aedan Ugh... okay, one more try. If it doesn't work this time, I'm calling for assistance because I'm out of ideas.
    Gotural
    Nope :( I got the same installation error and CTD.
    Gotural
    @Erg, got any insight on this?
    Gotural
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited April 2016

Erg, got any insight on this?

ALWAYS
    ACTION_IF GAME_IS ~bgee~ THEN BEGIN

ACTION_DEFINE_ARRAY S3reload BEGIN game END

ACTION_DEFINE_ARRAY S3noconvert BEGIN END

LAF HANDLE_CHARSETS
    INT_VAR
    infer_charset = 1
    STR_VAR
    tra_path = EVAL ~%MOD_FOLDER%/tra~
    noconvert_array = S3noconvert
    reload_array = S3reload
    END
    END
    END
    should be replaced with
    ALWAYS
    ACTION_IF GAME_IS ~bgee~ THEN BEGIN

ACTION_DEFINE_ARRAY c0reload BEGIN arcanearcher END

ACTION_DEFINE_ARRAY c0noconvert BEGIN END

LAF HANDLE_CHARSETS
    INT_VAR
    infer_charset = 1
    STR_VAR
    tra_path = EVAL ~%MOD_FOLDER%/tra~
    noconvert_array = c0noconvert
    reload_array = c0reload
    END
    END
    END
    See this.
    AedanGoturalIchigoRXC
    Bugger, that makes a whole lot of sense. Thanks a bunch. Sorry for the delay @Aedan. Mod is updated.
    AedanGoturalIchigoRXC
    I got the same installation error and CTD.
    I cannot undestand why.
    Does it work with English language?
    Gotural
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Aedan said:

I got the same installation error and CTD.
    I cannot undestand why.
    Does it work with English language?

The space in the name of the folder "Arcane Archer" seems to be the issue. Probably iconv fails because of it.

I tried replacing everywhere "Arcane Archer" with "Arcane_Archer" (including the folder name, every occurrence inside the tp2 file and the file names Setup-Arcane_Archer.exe and Setup-Arcane_Archer.tp2) and the mod installs and works fine.
    AedanGoturalIchigoRXC
    Mod updated. Hopefully that fixes it for good.
    AedanGoturalErgIchigoRXC
    Yeeeessss! It works fine now!

@Artemius_I @Erg
    Thank you, guys!
    GoturalErgIchigoRXC
    @Artemius_I
    Bad news.
    Some Italian players told me that the mod does no longer work.
    I do not know if it is releated to the new patch. Anyway, when they try to select this kit, the game crashes. Again.
    *cringe* Kill me.

I can safely say that the English version still works. I'll see what I can do.
    Tagging @Erg to see if he can help us to understand the root of the problem.
    The mod was definitely working fine with v. 2.0. It stopped working after the next patches.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Grammarsalad
    @subtledoctor Ooh, interesting. I'll probably keep the pure fighter version as a standalone, but this is a gread idea.