Skip to content

Garrick is Amazing (late game)

2»

Comments

• proghead3proghead3 Member Posts: 65
    edited April 2016

Rubbish. Eldoth is worse. Rasaad is worse. Then there are the horribly late joiners like Tiax and Skie.

Eldoth can't even function without Gauntlets of Dexterity. Garrick's is at least high enough to forgo them and use Bracers of Archery/Gauntlets of Specialization instead.

You're right. Rasaad is worse. He's so bad on so many levels (class, stats, writing) I still haven't accepted he's part of the game. "I don't have time for proverbs right now." As my CHARNAME normally says.

Skie is a strange one to rate. In a vacuum she is more useful than Garrick, but the glut of competent thieves earlier on (Imoen, Coran, Shar-teel potentially) make her obsolete. As for Eldoth, if the dexterity bracers are unavailable, then yes, Garrick is a tad better than him. It depends on party composition.

Tiax on the other hand... lords over the masses. Or something like that. Doesn't he get 'summon ghast' as a free ability? I only play paladins, so I'd never use the chap. ;)
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    proghead3 said:

Tiax on the other hand... lords over the masses. Or something like that. Doesn't he get 'summon ghast' as a free ability? I only play paladins, so I'd never use the chap. ;)

He does.

JuliusBorisovjackjack
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331

I don't know about kobolds tying you to a chair and singing to you, but Deekin might have a great story.

Still, Garrick's personality could be worse. He could be Grobnar Gnomehands.

Indeed! :smiley:
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    See, I'd take Eldoth before I took Garrick, just because of his poison arrows ability. But yeah, he's really only good if you don't have another use for the Gloves of Dex and want both a bard and a single-classed thief in your party anyway. Which... is a very limiting set of qualifiers.
    Grumjackjack
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    I feel that Garrick works very well in a party of 4 when Charname is one of the basic melee types with Weapon Mastery, Imoen in her typical Thief4-5->Mage role and Viconia/Branwen/Yeslick/Quayle. It is actually kind of interesting to have some real RP use for the game's numerous Strength potions before the Gauntlets turn up in Chap.5.

Until that point, in Chap.1-4, Garrick's pickpocket skills can be huge [Algernon, Dushai, Nashkel Store, etc.] if one is liberally reloading for selected purposes. Basically, I ignore his character/dialogues as they appear in the game and that is part of the fun. The imaginative value for me of having a Bard/Loremaster in the party is such that it completely changes the experience once I get beyond the Choir-boy scripts and voice acting Bioware chose.

Disclaimer: This person [moi] has been known to write something from time to time resembling poetry and even to have given several public readings of same in my earlier years. So I will accept no limiting Universe in which Bards are 2nd Class adventurers. Whatever! :smile::wink::blush:
    JuliusBorisovGrumjackjackSouave_Said