Skip to content

Game of Thrones theme party: advice needed

Hey everybody, waiting for SoD coming out for iOS, I was thinking about spending some time in an IWD run with a party based on Game of Thrones (yeah 6th season has just began).
I'd like your advice on how to choose the party.
4 members have a place, no matter what:
- Arya Stark -> Gnome/halfling (she's a little girl) Assassin (or Shadowdancer)
- Jon Snow -> Human Ranger (unkitted or Stalker)
- Daenerys Targaryen -> Human Red Dragon Disciple
- Tyrion Lannister -> dwarf obviously....but what class? Bard (dwarf can't be)? Maybe a swashbuckler...

The remaining 2 spots could go to:
- Bran Stark -> Human Totemic Druid
- Brienne of Tarth -> Human Paladin

the group this way is lacking a cleric, and Melisandre should be the ideal pick, but who would you sacrifice?

Comments

• modestvoltamodestvolta Member Posts: 108
    edited April 2016
    Fregasega said:

the group this way is lacking a cleric, and Melisandre should be the ideal pick, but who would you sacrifice?

Shireen. Sorry. Too easy.

I would swap out Bran for Melisandre. Or, plan on doing a couple of different themed parties for multiple plays (all Starks for one run through, a Daenerys and Tyrion led party for another).

As far as Tyrion, I would use the Tweaks mod to reduce race/class restrictions (unless you're playing on iPad. In which case... Shoot. You nailed it with the bard class).
  • lurithlurith Member Posts: 55
    edited April 2016
    Agree with @modestvolta. You really want Melissandre, and I would give up Bran.

I would make Melissandre a mage / cleric, though. A few fire spells and illusions/summons go really well with the character.
    Post edited by lurith on
  • saoxsaox Member Posts: 104
    Brianne is not that godly so paladin makes little sense. Fighter would be more "authentic".

Beric Dondarrion - fighter/cleric
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Could add:

Khal Drogo: Human Barbarian.

Jamie Lanister: human Fighter (Wizard Slayer).

The Mountain: human Berserker.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I actually don't see Tyrion as a bard. He doesn't do magic, and has never shown aptitude for poetry or singing.

What he does do is to survive by his wits. He's very good at sneaking around, getting out of locked prisons, setting traps (figuratively at least), seeing through illusions, backstabbing, and assassinating people with crossbows, so I'd say thief or fighter-thief. And don't you kind of need one in the party you're proposing, anyway?

I guess you're wanting to use Arya for that. Shadowdancer fits her very well considering her Season 5 story arc.

If Tyrion must be a bard, then it seems to me the perfect kit is jester. He keeps enemies off-balance in various dangerous situations by fast-talking with a lot of wry jokes and double entendres, thus confusing them. I don't really see him dancing around and doing jester-y things in combat, though. In the big battle where he gets his head nearly split open with an axe, he fights with a melee weapon and a shield, very seriously, and he surprises people by being more than merely competent at it, and very dangerous when underestimated. He's actually pretty good at fighting when forced to it.

If it were my GoT party, I think I'd decide on fighter-thief as the best fit for Tyrion.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I watched the season 5 finale of Game of Thrones last night, and got some ideas about some GoT family parties. I'm not seriously planning to play any of them, I'm just having some fun thinking about what classes fit what characters within the great families of Westeros.

The Lannister Family:

Tywin Lannister - Fighter
    Jamie Lannister (pre-maiming) - Fighter, grandmaster longsword
    Cersei Lannister - Thief, concentrates points on stealth and backstabbing, then maybe pick pockets
    Tyrion Lannister - Thief, concentrates points on traps and locks, then stealth, then set traps, then detect illusions
    Joffrey Lannister Baratheon - Archer, grandmaster crossbows
    The Mountain - Berserker, or Blackguard after Season 5

The Lannisters are a challenge party, because they have no magic. They are very strong in guile and sheer might, though. It would be interesting to see if they could make it through IWD with only potions and magic items for healing. A lot of people will be tempted to try to justify Tyrion as a bard to get access to wands and arcane magic, but I don't think that fits what we see in the show.

The Stark Family:

Eddard Stark - Paladin
    Catelyn Stark - Cleric (She's the most devout to the old gods we've seen on the show, until the Cult of the High Sparrow comes around in later seasons)
    Rob Stark - Fighter or Paladin
    Arya Stark - Shadowdancer or Thief
    Bran Stark - Druid
    Jon Snow - Ranger
    (Sansa Stark is not in the party because, on the show, she comes across as a perpetual damsel-in-distress, moving from one tormentor to another. I don't even think she has a character class.)

This party is very strong in divine magic, and melee power. It should be a pretty straightforward and fairly easy run through IWD, despite the lack of arcane magic.

The Baratheon Family:

Robert Baratheon - Ranger or even Barbarian
    Stannis Baratheon - Blackguard (No one on the show has more clearly sold his soul to dark powers.)
    Melisandre - Cleric-Mage (serves the evil "God of Light", loves Necromancy and Fire magic. She'd make a great Bhaalist in BG. I can't help but notice the similarity in name to Melissan, and the red hair. Could Martin have been aware of ToB and influenced by it?)

(For the other three, I don't remember all the names. Should definitely include Stannis' loyal right-hand guardsman, and I can't really think of who the last two would be. Could maybe include Joffrey and even Tomas since they have the Baratheon name, even though they're actually in-bred Lannisters.)

This family has access to strong melee and both arcane and divine magic. I can't think of any rogue types for them, though, so they may have a weakness there.

The Targaryen Family:

Danaerys Targaryen - Dragon Disciple
    Kal Drogo - Barbarian
    (The rest I can't remember all the names. The guy she sleeps with after Kal Drogo dies is her Fighter-Thief. She has her older bodyguard who crushes out on her as a Fighter or maybe Crusader. Her handmaiden and translator might be some kind of healer. And then there's the leader of the Unsullied as a fighter or assassin. You might also put Tyrion Lannister into this party.)
  • modestvoltamodestvolta Member Posts: 108

The Lannister Family:

Tywin Lannister - Fighter
    Jamie Lannister (pre-maiming) - Fighter, grandmaster longsword
    Cersei Lannister - Thief, concentrates points on stealth and backstabbing, then maybe pick pockets
    Tyrion Lannister - Thief, concentrates points on traps and locks, then stealth, then set traps, then detect illusions
    Joffrey Lannister Baratheon - Archer, grandmaster crossbows
    The Mountain - Berserker, or Blackguard after Season 5

The Lannisters are a challenge party, because they have no magic. They are very strong in guile and sheer might, though. It would be interesting to see if they could make it through IWD with only potions and magic items for healing. A lot of people will be tempted to try to justify Tyrion as a bard to get access to wands and arcane magic, but I don't think that fits what we see in the show.

I've thought more on this and am backing off the bard for Tyrion comment. I think a fighter/thief makes perfect sense for Tyrion (though he'd probably have a low STR and DEX). I think it's plausible he'd have a decent CON based on how much booze he drinks. INT and WIS also decently high. I'm not sure how to handle his CHA. In the books he's a hideous monstrosity. In the show they don't really play up that angle. As far as race, I'm thinking halfling is more suitable. He's not really a dwarf the way I think of them in DND/typical fantasy. (Obviously not really a halfing either, but I think that's a closer fit to his character in the books/show.)

As far as getting magic into a Lannister party, there's always the Maesters (Pycelle and Qyburn). Pycelle would be more of a straight cleric, while Qyburn could either be a cleric or necromancer (or cleric/mage).
  • Mush_MushMush_Mush Member Posts: 476
    If you're having Tyrion you gotta have Bronn too Bronn is awesome. I'd also have Grey Worm so it'd be like 3 pairs:

Jon Snow & Arya
    Daenerys & Grey Worm
    Tyrion & Bronn
  • FregasegaFregasega Member Posts: 45
    Nice parties @BelgarathMTH
    One point I haven't told you, I just want people still alive/resurrected in this 6th season...
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Tyrion likely wouldn't be any of the adventurers in the party. He'd probably be the player, creating the strategy and calling the shots from behind the scenes in a warm safe room while the other sods do the killing and dying.
  • NihilusNihilus Member Posts: 192
    edited May 2016
    Let's do one character in each post. Here is Theon prior to his being captured and tortured:

Name: Theon Greyjoy
    Race: Human
    Class: Archer
    Aligment: True Neutral
    Strenght: 15
    Constitution: 14
    Dexterity: 17
    Intelligence: 12
    Wisdom: 10
    Charisma: 13

Feel free to ignore legal stat requirements for classes and such.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    @Nihilus I've merged your post with this thread, as there have been already interesting views expressed here on the subject you're raising.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064

Remember to have at least 1 character die in each dungeon.

Preferably after one of your other characters stabs that character in the back.

So really you should be able to work through the entire GoT cast if you don't reload and don't resurrect any fallen characters and instead simply remove them from party and replace them with the next character.

If you play on insane the bonus XP should make up the difference that you lose and provide enough exploding party members if you don't play too carefully, it is a big cast after all!
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Nihilus said:

Let's do one character in each post. Here is Theon prior to his being captured and tortured:

Name: Theon Greyjoy
    Race: Human
    Class: Archer
    Aligment: True Neutral
    Strenght: 15
    Constitution: 14
    Dexterity: 17
    Intelligence: 12
    Wisdom: 10
    Charisma: 13

Feel free to ignore legal stat requirements for classes and such.

And could he later return as Reek? What would those stats be I wonder? Do missing body parts translate to a reduction in constitution?
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    I'd wager losing (IIRC) several fingers and toes on top of everything else would mean a massive drop in strength, dexterity (probably not even enough to use a bow) constitution and charisma.

Also, I'd argue Theon is more CN than TN but it's arguable either way.
  • nuthernuther Member Posts: 6
    Here is my Game of Thrones party for IWD. They are almost done with The Severed Hand. :)

Ser Jaime Lannister - Human Pally
    Tyrion Lannister - Dwarf F/C
    Ser Robert Strong - Half Orc Berserker (2H)
    Ygrette - Elf F/T (bows)
    Child of the Forest - Half Elf Wild Mage
    Three Eyed Raven - Half Elf Druid Avenger

So, I have a mix of Lannisters and northerners.