Skip to content

Question about STATS and Dialog Options

So I've noticed that certain dialog options only appear if you have a high enough related stat (18 INT, etc.)

So for someone like me who wants to have as many dialog options as possible, does that mean that I'd basically need to CTRL+8 all my stats to 18 to ensure the most options appearing?

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Well, Charisma is more important to getting dialogue lines, because it influences your reaction score.

By @Jalily "Charisma isn't checked directly in dialogues; rather, the reaction modifiers from your speaker's Charisma and your reputation are added together to determine how well a given character reacts to you. Moving from 18 to 19 Charisma gives you an additional +3 to your total, the same as moving from 9 reputation to 18. You also get an additional +1 for each Charisma point over 19. If you're playing a mid- to low-reputation game, this can be very useful for getting the best rewards from NPCs with reaction-dependent scripting."

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/18861/charisma-over-18/p1

If you ever want spoilers, check examples in that thread and also here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/30864/are-there-any-charisma-based-dialogue-lines-in-bg-1-and-2

But there're instances in BG2 and ToB, when Wisdom and Intellect also influence dialogues.

If you ever want spoilers, check examples here:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/40941/potion-of-insight-totally-pointless

But remember, that you don't need only charname to speak to other characters. You can very much ask your NPC to do it. And their scores will be taken into consideration.

Just don't forget to make the NPC with high stats your party leader (the top spot).
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Ser_Elryk said:

So I've noticed that certain dialog options only appear if you have a high enough related stat (18 INT, etc.)

So for someone like me who wants to have as many dialog options as possible, does that mean that I'd basically need to CTRL+8 all my stats to 18 to ensure the most options appearing?

as far as I know, there is no instance in bg1 where anything but charisma affects your dialogue, in bg2, there a few, im going to say at most a handful, so not really all that much, plus if you are an evil character you can get the evil options to some quests as well, so in theory, if you really REALLY want all zee dialogue options be evil, have 18 INT/WIS/CHA, but realistically the only thing from having the 18 INT and WIS will do is net you 1000 gold in tradement, plus even if you don't have the required ability scores, you can just get another character with the high INT or WIS to do it instead

• gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Let me spoil you on something (as we are in a no spoiler area of the boards :smile: ).
    Some of us are playing this game again and again after 10 or 15 years from our first time. And still enjoy it and find it not boring.
    There is a real chance that also you will play it more then a single time, so don't worry, no important dialog option will be skipped also with sub optimal INT or WIS, they are important for other reasons, that I will not spoil here, and even so there are workarounds unless you want to dual into mage or cleric.
    Choosing a different character as party leader is a good way to deal with your problem, another way is
    using the potions that rise INT and WIS for a short time

Not really a spoiler, but if you want a really absolutely no spoiler answer don't open it.
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    The few stats checks and the many more reaction checks enhance the roleplaying aspect of the game, they don't make a tremendous difference in the end (they don't change the story, your alignment will have a bigger impact in BG2). From such a perspective, there is no reason to boost all stats in the expectation that the storyline is going to be better. On many occasions, your team members have their own dialog lines even if they did not start it. There is more to experience from such interjections than from your stat variations.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    edited May 2016
    sarevok57 said:

Ser_Elryk said:

as far as I know, there is no instance in bg1 where anything but charisma affects your dialogue, in bg2, there a few, im going to say at most a handful, so not really all that much, plus if you are an evil character you can get the evil options to some quests as well, so in theory, if you really REALLY want all zee dialogue options be evil, have 18 INT/WIS/CHA, but realistically the only thing from having the 18 INT and WIS will do is net you 1000 gold in tradement, plus even if you don't have the required ability scores, you can just get another character with the high INT or WIS to do it instead

One place I just remembered was

the bandits Teven and Raiken, if you have less than
    15 STR
    then one of the dialog options to bluff them were ineffective.
    Post edited by mf2112 on