Skip to content

[Spoilers] Raising Khalid

redmage123redmage123 Member Posts: 25
Hi all,

Khalid has died in the battle for Bridgefort. (He wasn't in my party at the time). Can he be resurrected? I added Jaheira afterwards to the party but there's no mention of him in conversation.

Thanks

Comments

• jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    If he isn't in your party, he can't be resurrected, unfortunately.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    The thing about Khalid is he will inherit whatever stats and gear he had when you left him in BG1, so if you left him 1st level, naked and shivering in Beragost, then he will die like a punk as soon as any fighting breaks out. On the other hand if you turned him into a lean, mean fighting machine with awesome gear, then he can liberate the fort pretty much single handed.

An improvement to this story would be for him to spawn a corpse on death that you could then get resurrected, since, whatever happens, he will not be dead at the end.
    grassBladeGallowglass
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    Most people seem to be missing the fact that you can simply have Khalid join your party before the battle, then remove him and tell him to go back to the camp, and thus he won't die at Bridgefort.
  • grassBladegrassBlade Member Posts: 31
    Dev6 said:

Most people seem to be missing the fact that you can simply have Khalid join your party before the battle, then remove him and tell him to go back to the camp, and thus he won't die at Bridgefort.

That only works if you have a viable save file, which I (and probably many others), do not. I agree with Fardragon, a corpse would solve the problem. As it stands the issue is a major bug imho.
    I don't think your previous actions having consequences counts as a bug!
    Dev6Gallowglass
    Perhaps you're correct; however, it does infer a lack of forethought on the programmer's side. I admit I killed off Khalid in BGEE, but I left his corpse alongside Jahiera. So, when I encountered them at Bridgeford charName presumed he was raised and healed to full health (a seemingly logical assumption)
    Rathenau
  • RathenauRathenau Member Posts: 80
    Agreed, if your actions truly had such consequences in this expansion then they've written some interesting plot holes. I did enjoy not seeing him pop up at the very end but that doesn't make any sense since he is present in Iranicus' dungeon.
    Gallowglass

Perhaps you're correct; however, it does infer a lack of forethought on the programmer's side. I admit I killed off Khalid in BGEE, but I left his corpse alongside Jahiera. So, when I encountered them at Bridgeford charName presumed he was raised and healed to full health (a seemingly logical assumption)

I expect he was healed to full health, but that wouldn't help much if he was 1st level and naked.

It only talkes a little forethought on the players part to keep a weak Khalid alive.
    GallowglassPokota
  • JurisJuris Member Posts: 113
    It's a bug if Khalid is only level 1. Even if you never recruited him in BG1 - why does Viconia/Jaheira/Neera etc not have the same problem?
    You can't recruit Jaheira at level 1, her starting level is 2. Viconia's staring level is even higher.

Neera can be level 1, but she doesn't come charging out of the fort into a hail of arrows.
    Fardragon said:

I expect he was healed to full health, but that wouldn't help much if he was 1st level and naked.

It only talkes a little forethought on the players part to keep a weak Khalid alive.

If you agree that he was healed, then it is also logical that he adventured enough to go up a level or two.

There are many things I'm willing to accept as a player (for example, Branwen's non-inclusion, which cost me 3 wisdom tomes; even the disappearance of Neera's robe of the neutral archmagi ), but Khalid is the focus of a plot turn. His death means the loss of playability; it leaves only one option -- hack and slash.

True, I can reload my BGEE final save or begin a new SOD from scratch (and lose out on items and tomes and dual-classing), but I really shouldn't have to. Someone at beamdog should have anticipated Khalid's fragility and coded appropriately.

Rathenaubob_vengIsewein
    NPCs are deliberatetly NOT leveled up now, to allow them to be customised by the players. for example, this enables Khalid to achieve grand mastery in longswords, which would have been impossible with the pre-sod behaviour.

It's pretty easy NOT to get Khalid killed, no matter how weak he is. All you have to do is invite him into your team, or you can choose to surrender.

If you send someone neadlessly into battle when they are clearly I'll equipped (you can see what he is wearing), I don't think it is fair to blame anyone else when they die.
    Fardragon said:

NPCs are deliberatetly NOT leveled up now...

It's pretty easy NOT to get Khalid killed, no matter how weak he is. All you have to do is invite him into your team, or you can choose to surrender.

If you send someone neadlessly into battle when they are clearly I'll equipped (you can see what he is wearing), I don't think it is fair to blame anyone else when they die.

Did not know about the leveling decision; I guess it's as good a rationale as any; though it still doesn't mean the programmer's couldn't have left a corpse behind.

However, your second point doesn't hold water. I didn't send Khalid into battle; he died before I had a chance to recruit him (during the boulder explosion...while I was talking to the mage)

Also, I'm not saying make the chars immortal; I'm just saying there should be an option to complete the plot as perceived. If Khalid is meant to die so that the party is left in a lurch, then by all means kill him off...in front of the party. Don't have the plot/journal say "report back to Khalid" when he's already dead.

• kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    Khalid dying at the explosion is a known bug
    edited May 2016
    kaguana said:

Khalid dying at the explosion is a known bug

Khalid dying because of the level draining magical rock was a bug, but that was fixed in the last patch.

I was talking about Khalid dying in the battle after that.
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    @Fardragon Yes I know you did but @grassBlade talk about:

However, your second point doesn't hold water. I didn't send Khalid into battle; he died before I had a chance to recruit him (during the boulder explosion...while I was talking to the mage)

edited May 2016
    Well that has been fixed. You need to install the patch.
    Post edited by Fardragon on
    Not sure where Khalid was when he bought the farm. And, it really shouldn't matter. He shouldn't die before plot completion.

As it stands now, the game is now unplayable for me because I can't report back to him (I don't have an earlier save).

So, it will be a while before I get back to Bridgeford...I intend to replay BGEE and not waste my wis and int tomes on non-SOD chars.
    Khalid dying in no way impedes the plot advancing.

The only consequence of his death is you can't have him in your team.
    )
    Fardragon said:

Fardragon said:

Are you saying I have another option other than attacking the encampment with my party? (which I tried, but wasn't thrilled with, and opening the gate isn't one of my char's options)
    edited May 2016
    I think the options open to you are:

1) attack with your party
    2) attack with the Flaming Fist
    3) open the gate and surrender, destroying the supplies
    4) open the gate and surrender without destroying the supplies
    5) open the gate and launch a sneak attack on the Crusade under cover of negotiations
    6) continue to complain about a non-game breaking bug that was fixed weeks ago
    7) use the console to spawn a replacement Khalid.
    Post edited by Fardragon on
    edited May 2016
    Sorry you feel I am complaining and believe the bug was fixed, but I would prefer playing the scene out with a live Khalid (who may or may not provide a different option...one that I will never find out unless I restart BG1 from scratch ... which brings up another point: if a player starts an SOD game with a non-imported character, does Khalid die? is Khalid above level 1? )

Insofar as using the console, CreateCreature simply creates a BG1 Khalid who has no clue about where he is and what's going on (which probably explains why Beamdog doesn't leave his corpse lying around for raising)

Searched the other threads and solved my problem. I used a negative protection spell on him. So he evidently did die from the rock and level drain...and not an arrow shot as I had believed (because he was outside where the arrows were flying)
    The bug WAS fixed. As of the last patch Khalid can't be killed by the rock any more (neither can Neera). Obviously, if you played through that bit before the patch was installed Khalid is still dead, but you can console in a new Khalid (you need to create the right one to get the dialogue, there are several versions).

If you import a game from BG1 and had Khalid in your team at any point he will have the same level, proficiencies, and gear as when you last saw him, plus a sack of XP so you can level him up to match your current level. Thus, if you left him at level 7, wearing full plate, and packing steel, he has a much better chance of surviving the battle.
  • konvakonva Member Posts: 64

)

Fardragon said:

Fardragon said:

Are you saying I have another option other than attacking the encampment with my party? (which I tried, but wasn't thrilled with, and opening the gate isn't one of my char's options)
    Well and what about if Khalid isnt in the keep he is supposed to be? How to start the attack with flaming fist since proper NPC's are missing?
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    konva said:

Well and what about if Khalid isnt in the keep he is supposed to be? How to start the attack with flaming fist since proper NPC's are missing?

Ah yes, there's another known bug related to this scenario.

If you return to your camp to fetch the Fist, then you don't get the necessary dialogue option (with a Fist officer) to tell them to come to the battle, unless you previously told Khalid to wait inside the Fort until you have fetched the Fist. Therefore, if Khalid is missing (for whatever reason), then you can't tell him to wait for the Fist, so you can't fetch the Fist. (Nevertheless, it has been reported that if you just start the battle without the Fist, then the Fist will eventually turn up anyway, even without your instructions ... although their arrival is delayed this way, so the battle might be all over by then.)

You don't need the Fist to win the battle, however. Just buff up your party and attack, it's not too difficult to win.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    khalid should get a bump in levels if he's too weak because he ascended to an important military post and so surely he must be a marginally above-average warrior
  • TheDruidTheDruid Member Posts: 2
    I had the same issue with not having had Khalid in my party in either BG 1 or previously in Siege, so he was level 1, but I found an effective way of keeping him out of danger. If you haste your party, or push through to attack the crusaders before Khalid and friends can get across the bridge, you can turn around and web / entangle the bridge leading into the fort and, being level 1, Khalid will fail his saving throw and get stuck there for a very good while. I was playing on Insanity, but even then only had to turn around and web the bridge one more time before the end of the fight (was using Baeloth and M'Khiin. It was tricky, it was messy, but when the dust settled Khalid was still stuck in the fort and there ready to be picked up after the concluding cut-scene.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    Fardragon wrote: »
    Viconia's staring level is even higher.
    Playstyle difference. I go straight for Viconia if I know I'm going to be using her, and she's level 1 or level 2 if you do that.

Pretty much the only NPCs that you can't recruit at stupidly low levels are Yeslick and the ones in Baldur's Gate proper.