Skip to content

Im writing a book

XeroshiXeroshi Member Posts: 182
as the title says im in the process of writing a book, i want your feedback, it will be great for me to know what to improve upon and what to continue doing. I hope you enjoy what i've written

Comments

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I've been writing a book for years, but I have such a lousy attention span I don't think I will ever finish! :(

Had a quick glance, noticed some changes between past and present tense - is that intentional?

I'm not to keen on the title, it's probably just me, but I keep seeing a failed pun: son/sun.
  • XeroshiXeroshi Member Posts: 182
    Fardragon said:

Had a quick glance, noticed some changes between past and present tense - is that intentional?

Yes, when people speak of past events

Fardragon said:

I'm not to keen on the title, it's probably just me, but I keep seeing a failed pun: son/sun.

The title is meant to be confusing
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Is there a kind of feedback that you're looking for?

Like, do you want some critique on your technical writing skill, or would you like some more general critique on your story-telling skills?

Is there a kind of feedback that you're looking for?

Like, do you want some critique on your technical writing skill, or would you like some more general critique on your story-telling skills?

Critique on story telling, and seeing your role playing and such i would be very grateful to hear what you have to say. miss @Nonnahswriter
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Xeroshi I think you should start by asking for help with your technical writing skills.

@Xeroshi I think you should start by asking for help with your technical writing skills.

You make a good point, so yes all critique would be helpful especially since this is the first book ive ever written
    Well, it's late tonight, so I can't promise anything immediate. But I will try to give you some general critique as soon as I'm able.

I will tell you that, judging from just the first chapter, your story reads like a very very rough draft. I'll try to be as gentle as I can. :wink:

Well, it's late tonight, so I can't promise anything immediate. But I will try to give you some general critique as soon as I'm able.

I will tell you that, judging from just the first chapter, your story reads like a very very rough draft. I'll try to be as gentle as I can. :wink:

Yes ma'me
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    Oh, and I second the suggestion to read more fantasy books. The best way to learn how to do it, is to see how others do it... you then get a good idea of what you like and what you don't like.
  • sparkleavsparkleav Member Posts: 871
    edited May 2016
    I agree on the 'showing' rather than 'telling'. I've only read Chapter 1 but I feel you are giving away too much information, maybe you should reel back just a little and leave something for the imagination, perhaps use some more descriptive words to describe the feel of something, e.g. the staff or describe the atmosphere.
    Other than that it's just punctuation, and jumping between different tenses which can be easily fixed. Good on you for sharing @Xeroshi , it's the best way to learn.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Also, read On Writing.

Stephen King has said in his book On Writing that the writer's greatest enemy is doubt. As long as you enjoy writing, don't let doubt keep you from going on. Whatever problems your work may have, you can fix them after you have the first draft complete--don't let them discourage you from writing further.

^ This this this, a thousand times this! :heart:
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    One thing I think about when writing a book is how much suspense is there to still be had. How much intrigue or time for something interesting.

When I do that, I think, I'll save a world building moment for when I have no idea what else to put here.

As such, this solves a dependency on info dumping.

Or, after you're done with the high fantasy story, write a player's hand book.... or an MMORPG. That's my plan.