Skip to content

Upgraded to 2.2 Beta. Now all mods are gone.

redmage123redmage123 Member Posts: 25
edited May 2016 in General Modding
Hi all, I had a problem with the 2.1 version in that it suddenly started crashing. I upgraded to the 2.2 beta to see if it would fix things, which it did, but apparently it did so by no longer supporting any of the mods. I installed everything with the latest BWS. Now, when I try and install it again, BWS gives an error saying that Beamdog broke modding.

Can someone tell me what's going on? Can this be resolved?

Thanks

Post edited by Cerevant on

Comments

• BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    Have to wait for weidu to be updated as far as I know
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • redmage123redmage123 Member Posts: 25
    It's a lot harder than you make it sound. A lot of mods still don't install correctly, even with the individual installers. Both IWDification and SCS installations fail. Both seem to want to read files that don't exist. It's getting to the point where I'm about to give up playing BG:EE at all.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    I would ask the creator of BWS about the difference between 2.1 and 2.2. How exactly did 2.2 "broke modding" where 2.1 didn't?
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    And this is why installers like BWS are actually awful.

It's a lot harder than you make it sound. A lot of mods still don't install correctly, even with the individual installers.

All of these installed just fine for me, via WeiDU. Clearly, you need to do a clean reinstall. And quit using BWS; it's a mess.
  • rorikonrorikon Member Posts: 105
    Sorry for going a bit off-topic, but when was this 2.2 beta released? I can see it now in my beamdog client, but I haven't seen it even mentioned anywhere before now, so I've no idea what's changed. Anything interesting?

On-topic, I think you're being a bit unreasonable expecting ANY beta update to work with mods right away, and BG:EE updates have always removed mods, since replacing some files but not others during the update process would probably screw up all the mods anyway.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    rorikon said:

Sorry for going a bit off-topic, but when was this 2.2 beta released? I can see it now in my beamdog client, but I haven't seen it even mentioned anywhere before now, so I've no idea what's changed. Anything interesting?

I believe you have to opt-in for betas via Steam. I'm not sure how to do it via the default Beamdog Client...

@bengoshi: Any idea on how to opt in for the beta when using the Beamdog Client?
    rorikon said:

On-topic, I think you're being a bit unreasonable expecting ANY beta update to work with mods right away, and BG:EE updates have always removed mods, since replacing some files but not others during the update process would probably screw up all the mods anyway.

I mean, this is true of just about every game. People unreasonably expect the devs to support their favorite mod(s), and it just doesn't work that way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    rorikon said:

They announce the betas in the Troubleshooting forum instead of the regular game forum.

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724

@bengoshi: Any idea on how to opt in for the beta when using the Beamdog Client?

Beamdog: If you were part of the Road to 1.3 or 2.0, you will find the Beta products in your Beamdog client. Just download and go! If you don't have these, you can request access to the PC version of the BG1 or BG2 betas by contacting support@beamdog.com. The SoD beta and Mac betas are not available through Beamdog at this time.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/55197/beta-for-2-2-update-now-available#latest
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    @redmage123
    BWS is not that reliable, I don't use it. It actually is much easier to do it yourself, you have less headache (in situations like this) and much more control. You just have to learn how.
    Before you start, it is a great idea to learn how to have multiple copies of your game. Always use a clean install as a baseline. You simply copy and paste the game directory to a new location. Then mod that game, and let the updates apply to your game's original location so that you don't have to lose your whole game, especially if some mods don't work with a new update.
    Check out this thread to show you how to properly make your game environment ready for modding.
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/6950/player-how-to-getting-mods-to-work-on-bgee
    Then download each mod you want to install. I definitely do not recommend using all the in big world installed, but if you want to use them all, you need to find them all and download them all. Google is your friend.
    Installing them is a matter of extracting the files to your game directory (I use .zip) then running the setup-xxxx.tp2 file for that mod. Make sure you read the readmes so that you can intelligently answer the questions that Weidu asks.
    IMPORTANT: Keep in mind that mods also needed to be installed in the proper order. Use this thread and others like it as a guide (again, you like Google).
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/48364/mods-install-order
    Doing some research on your own definitely pays more dividends than using any sort of installer.