Skip to content

Adding HIPS to Other Classes/is it Overpowered?

ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241
Invisibility in vanilla BG seemed balanced - it was limited my potions, inventory space, shop stock, stack size, spell limitations, etc.

With the Shadowdancer implementation it seems like HIPS is the "I win button" - I did a solo run of the black pits 1 without dying at all.

So I was thinking of adding it to the Ranger and Beastmaster. At least without backstab it may provide a reason (roleplaying and partially within 3rd edition rules) for people to go back to that class.

But from what I can tell from the CLAB files it doesn't seem to be an ability; such as AP_SPCL332 for Assassins backstab multiplier?. So is it hardcoded in some way?

Thanks

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241
    Hmm, okay.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    It is hard-coded, but there are at least two ways you can mimic it:
    - Use EEkeeper or NI to change your kit to Shadowdancer. Obviously you can only do this with an unkitted character. It does not matter what class you use - just having Shadowdancer set as your kit enables the HiPS ability. You could even use classes that lack a stealth button if you are comfortable relying on scripts to activate stealth. You will still level-up normally, since your kit/class mismatch.

- Give yourself an at-will ability to set your visibility range to '0' for a round, then make your stealth attempt. The game checks the visual range of the creature hiding to see if there are any hostile creatures within range, rather than checking the visual range of hostile creatures to see if the hider is within range of them. It's completely backwards.
  • ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241
    That ... is awesome. Never would have thought of it.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    kjeron said:

The game checks the visual range of the creature hiding to see if there are any hostile creatures within range, rather than checking the visual range of hostile creatures to see if the hider is within range of them. It's completely backwards.

That is so weird...lol
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    It's a lot less overhead than iterating through all the creatures on the map and calculating whether they can see your character.
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    Does that mean you can basically hide in plain sight if you are blinded ?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.