Skip to content

Does anyone else absolutely /HATE/ HLA's and wish there was a mod to remove them from the game?

As per topic. I'm currently at that particular point in the game where my party has breached the original level cap and consequently gained access to High Level Abilities. Now, every time I level up, I feel like I'm forced to enter a cheat code against my will. A couple of levels from now my characters will have become so powerful that I might just as well CTRL+Y everything and save myself the time.

Sure, there are some neat, well thought out HLA's, such as the extra spell slots, Alchemy, Scribe Scrolls and even Use Any Item. These abilities have a lot of utilitarian value and are powerful in their own right, but not game breakingly so. But then there is stuff like Greater Whirlwind, Critical Strike, Assassination and Time and Spike Trap. And let's not even get started on the level 10 wizard spells - ESPECIALLY "Summon Planetar/Dark Planetar."

Or actually, scratch that and let me rant some about Planetars. These creatures are obscenely, gamebreakingly overpowered. I'm running SCS and I'm not sure if that makes them even cheesier, but whenever either party in a fight summons one, the fight is basically over for the other side. A lot of times, the Planetar is actually more powerful than the wizard summoning it. When confronting the Twisted Rune in Chapter 6, I managed to take out Shangalar and co quite easily but still lost the fight due to the Fallen Planetar the old bag of bones summoned before snuffing it. Globe of Blades, PfMW, Improved Haste, instacast Heals and godlike combat abilities all in one summoning spell? Whoever came up with that and thought it fit well with the rest of the game? Honestly, when I discovered it is also immune to death spell contrary to being a summoned creature, I wasn't even that surprised anymore.

Overall, the worst part about Planetars and other HLA's is that they make most other spells and abilities seem second rate in comparison. Why bother casting improved Haste when you can just slam Greater Whirlwind all day long? Why bother using a spellcasting strategy other than Time Stop -> Improved Alacrity when it's all you need to win 9 fights out of 10? And, why, oh why would I bother summoning any other creature again once I have access to Planetars? It is almost as if some Bioware developer looked at the wonderfully complex, intricately balanced system of spells and abilities that was SoA and thought, that's too many spells, let's have like, 9.

/rant end

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    I agree about Planetars being op. They have more resistances and immunities and stats than their pnp counterparts and their vorpal/dispelling swords are laughingly deadly. With improved haste, a planetar can solo most of SoA. However they are not invulnerable. They are not immune to fear, stun and imprisonment. A strong warrior can use smite (to stun lock them) and greater whirlwinds with +3 weapons to quickly dispatch a planetar. (Though death ward is recommended for their vorpal attacks)

I editted my own game reduced planetar's spells and resistances and stats to match with pnp counterparts, and reduced the duration of summoning to 10 rounds, just like an elemental prince. Much more balanced.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited May 2016
    lunar said:

I edited my own game reduced planetar's spells and resistances and stats to match with pnp counterparts, and reduced the duration of summoning to 10 rounds, just like an elemental prince. Much more balanced.

I don't suppose you happen to have the desire to make this a mod?...

OT: Yeah, a lot of the HLAs are overpowered. But, with the new HLA tool that @subtledoctor created, one can now make more balanced HLAs. In fact, iirc, @Grammarsalad and crew are modifying Cleric HLAs in Faiths and Powers, to make those more balanced.

• lololo555lololo555 Member Posts: 66
    Assasination is pretty much mandatory, because in ToB, most enemies worth backstabbing are immune to invisibility tricks and/or backstabbing.
  • BalladBallad Member Posts: 205
    lololo555 said:

You know how I deal with overpowered HLAs? I don't use them.

All the respect to you, but I really don't like this argument. The game does not become balanced just because a player chooses to ignore its inbalanced mechanics. On SCS, all the major enemies in ToB take full advantage of their HLA's and not reciprocating would put me at a severe disadvantage. I like challenge, but I won't handicap myself just because of poor game design.

To reiterate my point, I don't think HLA's make the game balanced in or against your favor. What they do is water down the game's combat system, making it much less interesting. Whereas previously you would use a wide number of spells/strategies, with HLA's you only end up using a couple. And you pretty much have to since your enemies do the same. It all becomes a question of who gets the nuke off first. It really doesn't make for thrilling combat if you ask me, but hey, to each their own.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    You do say though that you've "breached the level cap" (i.e. removed the XP cap) and therefore deliberately unbalanced the game (especially if you're still in SoA). Personally, I need all the help I can get in ToB.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    I am not a professional mod maker. Anyone can use dltcep or eekeeper to edit planetar cre files, I made changes to the file to make them as close to pnp, notably removing some spells and the fire immunity. Also editted the spell files via dltcep to change its duration to fixed 10 rounds. Takes about a few minutes to mod this.

http://www.lomion.de/cmm/aasiplan.php

They are supposed to be immune to lightning and cold, don't remember if the vanilla one has those. But only %50 resistant to fire. In the game they are immune to fire so I dropped their resistance to fire to 50c Which is a huge nerf. Interestingly, they are supposed to require +4 to hit, and have immunity to imprisonment:I did not implement those (and can't even implement easily)
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    I suppose you could always edit LUABBR.2DA so that all classes default to something like "zz0", then copy an existing LU*.2DA into LUZZ0.2DA and make all the entries blank with asterisks. After that, edit LUNUMAB.2DA so that the "first level" column contains nothing but 99. This should make it so that your characters never have the opportunity to get HLAs, if that is what you truly wish.

Note that some of your opponents will still have HLAs, though, especially in ToB.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    Hmm. I actually find HLAs the most interesting part of a character's development. Though I agree Planetars are completely ridiculous. They should have stuck with Devas and wizards should have had neither.
  • BalladBallad Member Posts: 205
    dunbar said:

You do say though that you've "breached the level cap" (i.e. removed the XP cap) and therefore deliberately unbalanced the game (especially if you're still in SoA). Personally, I need all the help I can get in ToB.

Bad wording on my part, I suppose. By breached I meant exceeded - that is, naturally progressed past the original SoA exp cap. Unless you're skipping a lot of content (or are playing vanilla without ToB installed) it is pretty much inevitable that you start getting HLA's towards Chapter 6 in SoA.

I suppose you could always edit LUABBR.2DA so that all classes default to something like "zz0", then copy an existing LU*.2DA into LUZZ0.2DA and make all the entries blank with asterisks. After that, edit LUNUMAB.2DA so that the "first level" column contains nothing but 99. This should make it so that your characters never have the opportunity to get HLAs, if that is what you truly wish.

Note that some of your opponents will still have HLAs, though, especially in ToB.

Thank you for sharing this technical piece of information, though I should perhaps clarify that my OP was more about venting and seeking like-minded opinions rather than actually trying to solve the issue - if it can be called that. I know most people seem to like HLA's and would not want to have them removed - they are an interesting concept, I'll give you that. However, simply removing them from my characters (or pretending they are not there) would only make the game more frustrating since I'd be fighting tanks with cavalry, to use a WW2 metaphor.

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    One of SCS' components makes spellcaster HLAs into once-per-day innate spells, which weakens some of the most powerful HLAs by making them more scarce. Also note that SCS tweaks Planetar vorpal strikes to offer a save; they originally had a 25% chance of landing a vorpal strike without any saving throw.

Planetars aren't quite strong enough to solo SoA if you have SCS installed, though they come close. They're not tough enough to take on dragons, and Mind Flayers and Beholders can both paralyze them until their duration runs out. Certain enemies will also gladly Imprison them.

These days, enemy Planetars are much easier to deal with, since EE's Enchanted Weapon can let Darts of Stunning or Kuo-toa Bolts strike as +3 weapons and therefore stun-lock Planetars. Teleport Field and kiting are also very effective, since Planetars have no ranged weapons. They'll still hassle you with Fire Storms, Chaos, and Symbol spells, but at least they won't be able to dispel your buffs or land a vorpal strike with their melee attack.
  • iavasechuiiavasechui Member Posts: 274
    well there is a mod that lets you raise the level required to get hla and to lower the level cap ensuring that you will never reach them.
  • OrangemooseOrangemoose Member Posts: 83
    Ballad said:

Now, every time I level up, I feel like I'm forced to enter a cheat code against my will

Have you tried not using them?

• rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636

well there is a mod that lets you raise the level required to get hla and to lower the level cap ensuring that you will never reach them.

Does it do the same for all the monsters? Because otherwise, that mod is basically useless.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    @subtledoctor Why would anyone want those changes to wizard summons? The demon summoning spells are all crap, and that's before you account for not getting XP for their kills. Unless you did that, they'd all be worthless.
    Wait, do the spell revisions at least put the demons under your control? Because if so, they'd at least be usable, I suppose. But otherwise, you get no xp for whatever they kill, which defeats the purpose of summons as far as I'm concerned. I didn't mention the planetars because

A. I don't disagree that they're overpowered

and

B. They aren't directly relevant to the quality of the demon spells.

Neither is anything else you mentioned about other alternatives, so I'd appreciate if you got off the soapbox. There may be a need to replace the Planetar, but I'd rather it be something that you can use without effectively getting kill-stealed.

Neither is anything else you mentioned about other alternatives, so I'd appreciate if you got off the soapbox.

I'm not sure I understand. It's a thread about how the vanilla HLAs suck. (They do.) I offered suggestions to improve them. You don't want to hear it, feel free to go somewhere else.
    If "The HLA's are fine! I don't wanna hear what you have to say!" is all you're capable of reading in my post, then maybe I should go elsewhere.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    All right people no need to get personal here. Please respect the forum rules.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    I do not hate the concept and many of the HLAs I like. I have some major practical issues about them:
    1. Mages and Sorcerers get them too early. They start getting HLAs at the same time that they get level 9 spells - would better to delay for at least two levels.
    2. In some cases they run counter to basic kit and class designs. The biggest offender is again the Sorcerer. Them getting HLAs as cast-at-will level 9 spells disrupts the balance between Mages and Sorcerers: tactical flexibility vs wide choice of spells.
    3. There are similar problems with some kits, e.g. the Blade Kit getting the enhanced bard song.
    4. Some classes don't have HLA pool that makes sense for them, e.g. bards getting traps and Monks having warrior HLAs.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Nah I quite like them. I find chaining timestops with my rogue to be a lot of fun.
  • lololo555lololo555 Member Posts: 66
    edited May 2016
    I suppose the ridiculous fighter HLAs are imposed just to give some love to single weapon and shield users. Because at some point they become useless and a pain to play with. Let's face it, the game is broken in so many Dog damn ways but thanks to mods it's great.

I find the unbalanced weapon style system more crippling than the unbalanced HLAs.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I believe HLAs should be reimagined.

Once you reach a certain level you get a perk. You don't get to choose what it is. As you level up you don't pick "OK this level I'm going to pick to increase my backstab multiplier". Feats in D&D 3 are cool and are built into the deal but this is 2e. I prefer 3E but this is 2E and that means you don't pick your powers aside from whatever you want to put in your spellbook.

Like a level 20 fighter could get power attack and a level 20 thief could get use any item. 5 levels later another power should be unlocked. Something like that.

• SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    everyone keeps saying spellcasters dominate the fray yet its not ok for whirlwind to exist?
    While we're talking cheese, Use Any Item could probably be nerfed. What thief or bard doesn't pick that one first?
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited May 2016

While we're talking cheese, Use Any Item could probably be nerfed. What thief or bard doesn't pick that one first?

Yes for a thief it is good but so what? What's use any item compared to timestop / improved alacrity? A minor boost at best. It's not like it grants godlike powers or anything.

Compare a thief to a wizard and tell me that UAI is overpowered. Or a thief to a cleric or fighter or etc..etc.. yes it's good but again it's not like it suddenly makes thief way better than other classes.