Skip to content

BG1: Fighter/Thief solo no reload: what items/path/thief skills are best?

MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
Inspired by the no-reload thread, I will try to do a trilogy no reload run. Will also try it without arcane casters, as otherwise I know I will just spam the usual tricks instead of learning to use a fighter/thief. for BG1 I will go mostly solo, I think.

Now, what is the best path to take? Sure, Basilisks first, but then? Which items are a must have (greenstone amulet, wand of sleep, ring free action)? What thief skills should I improve and up to which point? What about weapon proficiencies?

Hoping to learn from the collective wisdom :-)

Ah, it is a core difficulty EE run, unmodded
GoturalJuliusBorisovlolienAerakar

Comments

• MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    Awesome, thanks! How do you guys deal with groups? I used the web spam routine last time but not sure how to do it before getting the boots of speed
  • jesterdesujesterdesu Member Posts: 373
    MacHurto said:

Awesome, thanks! How do you guys deal with groups? I used the web spam routine last time but not sure how to do it before getting the boots of speed

Wand of sleep and ranged attacks. Potions of explosions for really tough groups.

For a head start on money you can just sell the ring of memory from the fai zone for 9k.

You sure you want all this help? Game isn't as much fun for most once you know it all by heart.
    MacHurto
    For groups and boss fights later on you will want to skill traps as there is nothing you can't kill with them.
    MacHurto
  • comebackhomecomebackhome Member Posts: 254

For groups and boss fights later on you will want to skill traps as there is nothing you can't kill with them.

For BG 1 yes but traps lose their effectiveness in BG 2. Same with backstabbing.
    MacHurto
    edited May 2016

You sure you want all this help? Game isn't as much fun for most once you know it all by heart.

Well, I think you subestimate my uselessness. I was almost killed 5 min ago by Landrin spiders. They went after me outside the house and suddenly, I was surronded and could not run away. Had to gulp my only potion of speed, run in again (which thank Moradin I could) and then run out again when they came in. They hit me 3 times but saved against the poison :-D

Anyway, I know the basics (wand of sleep, fireball items, etc) but it seems to me it is difficult to deal with groups inmune to sleep due to level without running very fast to hide. I guess I need to stock up potions of speed until I get the boots?
    jesterdesu
    Spiders are nasty early game, any poison is... But they usually fail their save vs wand of sleep. Are you also aware you can sell wands back to vendors when low on charges and buy them back replenished?

Oil of speed is great but one of the main reasons missile weapons rock in the early game is that they offer a natural 2 attacks per round (long and short bows or daggers) or 3 for darts. X bows only offer 1 though. That plus the fact enemies tend to have low health, as do you.

In summary, consumables i.e. potions and wands and ranged weaponry are your best friends in bg1. In 2, with fighter thief you will be able to do a lot more with back stabs and traps (when skilled), you also get some pretty amazing weapons, items and jewellery to assist you... If you make it to the late game, the thief hla's are some of the best, especially the traps.
    MacHurto
    And I can't think of too much that will regularly save to sleep/ are immune in bg1... Though I'd generally save my nukes (potions of explosion) for those guys or try to kite them individually with ranged weaponry.

I've solo'd all the thief kits though the entire original games using tutu using no munchkin mods like rogue rebalancing and would say its a lot of fun. I got a fair bit of good info from Chris Lee's thief guide on gamefaqs too.
    MacHurto
    @jesterdesu know the wand trick, yes. Some groups don't fall to sleep like the ones in Mutamin Garden.
    @bengoshi I wasted 3 charges of sleep with the first ankheg and it saved all. Almost killed me. Run away. Pick Garrick to tank with mirror image (had told Ajantis to beat it). Ankheg kills him with a crit, saves against sleep again and almost kills me. Again. Managed to put him down.

One. Ankheg. Worst advice ever! :-D Will resurrect him and run through this mp without engage

JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Well, it happens. You were just VERY unlucky with the first ankheg.

Also, I never let the beast attack me if I see it doesn't fail his saving throw. I retreat, wait till my aura is clean again (that is, I'm able to use the wand again) and wait for the ankheg to appear and use the wand. Repeat if needed.

Actually, playing no-reload, I find managing aura to be one of the most important things.
    MacHurtosemiticgoddess
    @bengoshi knows his rogue tactics better than most so I'm sure what he says works, but personally I leave the ankhegs until way later than that as they can deliver a heap of pain.

Everything else in his extensive post is lower risk, but here's the thing... You're going to get xp and gold just from doing all the usual side quests obtained in FAA, Beregost and Nashkell and you can still farm ankhegs afterwards. (basilisks are ridiculously safe and big xp tho, deffo do them).
    MacHurtoJuliusBorisovAerakar
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    This topic is making me really want to play a solo Fighter/Thief or Mage/Thief....maybe a duo run with a love interest?

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid! Or Faerun's own Bonnie and Clyde!
    MacHurtoJuliusBorisovjesterdesu
  • jtthjtth Member Posts: 171
    Pteran said:

This topic is making me really want to play a solo Fighter/Thief or Mage/Thief....maybe a duo run with a love interest?

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid! Or Faerun's own Bonnie and Clyde!

I'm doing a mage/thief CN run on a gnome illusionist/thief and it's the most fun I've had in this game. I play on Difficult with SCS, and with the damage modifier turned off but HP boosted. It's so, so, so fun. Sometimes patience and waiting out the duration of a mage's protections are all you can do while you hide in the shadows. Highly recommended.
    Aerakarjesterdesu