Skip to content

Should 'SOD Characters' be a DLC for Baldur's Gate 2?

Comments

• jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    If the question is whether I'd use a free DLC for BG2, the answer would certainly be yes. But nearly everyone would answer the same way so I'm not sure that's a particularly useful question (plus, free DLCs don't exactly help the devs put food on the table).

A better question is whether people would be willing to pay $10-$20 for a new DLC that would bring the new characters into BG2 (with personal quests for each and substantial interactivity with the main plotline) along with a continuation of SoD's Skie storyline and possibly even some new content for "old" NPCs now that many of the original voice actors have been found.
  • Camus34Camus34 Member Posts: 210

Dharius said:

It should be an automatic part of a BG2EE patch/update - not paid for

Just pointing out the original question didn't ask whether it should be a PAID DLC or not. DLCs can be free, and all the prior DLCs have been free for PC users. Because of how the tablet/phone market works, they couldn't make the DLCs free on these devices. However, the base cost of the game on tablet/phone was only $9.99. In total, it should only be $20 to get all the content for the games.
    It doesn't matter how many times they are told, it's still the same old thing. XD
  • LegendaryLegendary Member Posts: 53
    Yes please.
    I am working on romancing Glint and it'd be nice if my PC could have his boyfriend around.

But I also haven't beat the game yet to see if there's any reason they shouldn't be in 2.
    Aedan
  • kellclkellcl Member Posts: 24
    edited May 2016
    I really like Corwin, M'Khiin, Glint and I have not tried Voghiln. With that said I would gladly pay for them as DLC considering the time it takes to properly develop and test the NPCs and additional NPC-specific quests that could be added as closures.

Edit: How could I miss Glint the happy little guy??
    GenderNihilismGirdleAedan
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited May 2016
    Caelar as either a SoA or ToB npc..Her interactions with Sarevok would be fun. I might prefer her in SoA, although the amount of work needed to implement such a major npc..Well that might be a problem.

The whole Planar sphere possibilities someone mentioned seems interesting.

Or maybe I'm wrong and it's best to consider Caelars story finished in SoD... I suppose you never really know how well she would mesh with the BG2 plotline *shrugs*

Everyones excitement about a BG3 plot..eh I remain skeptical about that. Seems way too ambitious for now..
    Post edited by batoor on
    bob_veng
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    @batoor without a game company aiming for am ambitious project, we'd never get truly ambitious games! ;)
  • IldunIldun Member Posts: 34
    I want Khalid and Skie back.
    GenderNihilismGirdle
  • BGLoverBGLover Member Posts: 550
    Seems like a no-brainer to me...

Do I want DLC of new character's for the BG series? Definitely.

Do I want vast new expansion packs for the BG series? Yes please!

And am I happy to pay for this new content for the BG series? Sure am.

And am I happy to pay in advance (pre-ordering/kick starting etc) for the promise of said new content? Yep!

Where do I sign?
    kotekoJuliusBorisovGenderNihilismGirdleKhalDrogo
  • kotekokoteko Member Posts: 179
    @BGLover well said on all counts :D
    GenderNihilismGirdle
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    I'd like Caelar in ToB. She should be somehow affected by hell, and her alignment should drop because of her decisions. She might even be corrupted by a devil which you find out in due course. She might have a conflict with Dorn and have her own competing reason for going to Lunia. This could also make Lunia more interesting.
    ArtonaGenderNihilismGirdle
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    It might be worth noting that wherever the Planer Sphere lands up, it's not Hell. The location has Tanar'ri (demons from the Abyss) along with imps (minor devils), mephits and Salamanders from the elemental plane of Fire.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited May 2016
    Fardragon said:

It might be worth noting that wherever the Planer Sphere lands up, it's not Hell. The location has Tanar'ri (demons from the Abyss) along with imps (minor devils), mephits and Salamanders from the elemental plane of Fire.

True, but a good place to start the (potential) Caelar questline in BG2 would be to have CHARNAME (if an arcane caster) or her uncle (if PC is not an arcane caster) operate the Spell Sphere to find Caelar. You rescue her (preferably from devils she is fighting), and then she joins you. My personal preference, as far as time line, is that this all happens in Ch3.
    I think they should just hold off on Caelar until ToB. She seems thematcally more appropiate to me, and recruting her would be simple and logical.
    GenderNihilismGirdle
  • DullSkullTheSecondDullSkullTheSecond Member Posts: 243
    Looking at witchers hearts of stone expansion at the price of 10$ I think they should release the characters for free.
    KhalDrogo
    How many hours of play is Hearts of Stone, for about the same price as one visit to the Cinema?
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636

Looking at witchers hearts of stone expansion at the price of 10$ I think they should release the characters for free.

Let's compare apples to coconuts, guys!
  • JurisJuris Member Posts: 113
    They definitely need to put the Soultaker dagger into BGII - that's a big loose end
    Oh, and if you're going to add NPCs please give Hexat a kit so she's somewhat useful
    GenderNihilismGirdlejustfeelinathome
    i had some ideas about what to do with the dagger and with corwin here, but they're more suited to EET (still unreleased mod that unites the games)
    http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27996&page=2#entry244616
    GenderNihilismGirdle
    I am very certain that made their plans for what to do with the soultaker dagger before they included it.
    GenderNihilismGirdle
    i'm pretty sure they have some ideas but that nothin's set. it gives them a lot of freedom to put it wherever they decide is the best
    GenderNihilismGirdle
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    Well, I wouldn't be mad if Beamdog came up with DLC for BG2, because there are lots of loose ends - soultaker dagger, Umbra Accord... But only NPC I'd like to have in BG2 is Caelar Argent.
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    Maybe I should have picked other, but I'd rather they were added in without cost.
    edited May 2016
    bob_veng said:

i'm pretty sure they have some ideas but that nothin's set. it gives them a lot of freedom to put it wherever they decide is the best

Nope, I'm pretty sure it's quite set, provided things don't get cancelled. Remember the characters talking about events in SoD in BG2EE? Beamdog like to plan a long way ahead. There is quite a lot in SoD, especially the epilogue, which is clearly there to set up the next story (i.e. BG3), you simply wouldn't do it that way otherwise.

It's also worth noting that they have said "they have no plans to add Glint to BG2". This is significant because of the characters it doesn't mention...

Edit: corrected some splngz.
    Post edited by Fardragon on
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    edited May 2016
    Fardragon said:

It's also worth noting that they have said "they have no plans to add Glint to BG2". This is signifficant because of the characters it doesn't mention...

I'm fine with that because I don't care for Glint at all, though he does fill a role.

What I like about the SOD NPCs is that they all fill a good support role. For instance, I would never roll a skald for the PC because it's such a passive character. But as an NPC, a skald makes a great addition to the party.

As for paying for this, why not? Even if it does come out as paid DLC, no one's forcing you to buy it, and it's not like it adds anything necessary for the game. At the very minimum, it costs money to hire the voice actors, so this wouldn't be something simple like adding a couple free kits. Honestly, I'd be fine with them not going too crazy with the side quests though. Something simple like the side quests of the original BG2 NPCs would be fine, and for me, preferable.

GenderNihilismGirdle
  • redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    New NPCs are always a plus, and while I have yet to find a single mod NPC that I truly enjoyed (maybe Isra?), The SoD NPCs were all solid. A big "yes, please" from me, and I might even consider paying for them.
    GenderNihilismGirdle
  • SparrowJacekSparrowJacek Member Posts: 17
    Certainly yes.

The skald was my favourite(and I had all new NPCs but the gnome), his banters, his voice, his attitude, his stories! It was all extremely entertaining. I even managed to romance him for a bit.
    Finally a powerful and interesting bard in BG2EE would really make the game more appealing.

Also Corwin - her story was most interesting, I'd love to know what happened to her after SoD + it was my first time using archer kit and it was really entertaining.
    GenderNihilismGirdle
  • VbibbiVbibbi Member Posts: 229
    I would like some of them, but if we got all of them it would increase the feeling of bumping into everyone we've ever known across a large space.

I like the idea of Caelar being in ToB only, although I think her story ended fine as is.

I think there would have to be a lot of handwaving to explain how Corwin came down to Athkatla. Her entire character was about her family and being in the FF. Yes, she could leave the Fist or be on temporary assignment to them, but that seems a lot less plausible than someone like Anomen who is allowed time away from his order since it's an organization not restricted to one location, he doesn't have dependents to worry about, etc.

While I greatly enjoyed M'Khiin, I didn't feel there was enough explanation of why she joined us in SoD, and that occurred in mostly wilderness zones. The game was good about showing NPCs reactions to her being a goblin, but I think it would strain belief if she were in Athkatla and everyone either ignored her or every other person on the street called the guards on her. Viconia is enough, since she can at least hide her face under a hood and has the body proportions of all elves.

Glint I could easily see coming down south. Maybe he's off to find more relatives. I could see him being a slight rehash of Jan, but they are different enough to not completely overlap. Plus, another romance option.

Voghlin was my least favorite new NPC, mostly because he didn't seem fleshed out much. But he also seems like the easiest one to come down south, as he has no real commitments anywhere. If he were to go into BG2 I'd like him to be fleshed out more and not quite as one-note.
    GenderNihilismGirdle
    Actually IMO Corwin is the NPC most likely to head south. With the murder not resolved to her satisfaction, it is very likely she would pursue CHARNAME.

M'Khiin and Glint could go anywhere, but there is no particular reason for them to go to Amn.
    GenderNihilismGirdle
  • VbibbiVbibbi Member Posts: 229
    Fardragon said:

Actually IMO Corwin is the NPC most likely to head south. With the murder not resolved to her satisfaction, it is very likely she would pursue CHARNAME.

M'Khiin and Glint could go anywhere, but there is no particular reason for them to go to Amn.

That's true, but in that case, I could see her being a SoA NPC but not a ToB one. There's no real reason why she would continue with the PC unless in a romance, and even then I think it would be a disservice to her character that she's willing to put herself into extremely dangerous situations such as battling a drow and dragon army, when her daughter is left alone with an aging grandparent. Granted, many of the NPCs don't really have good reason to join in ToB other than friendship/romance to Charname.
    GenderNihilismGirdle
    Which would be fine. Corwin in SoA, Caelar in ToB.
    GenderNihilismGirdleVbibbi
This discussion has been closed.