Skip to content

GOG will now allow to add versions of your Steam games to your GOG library for free

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
edited June 2016 in Off-Topic
They have only started and the list of games that can be added is small now, but it will increase with time.

Maybe they'll add the EEs later.

"Today, we're launching a new program called GOG Connect. The premise is simple: connect your Steam account and add your eligible games to your GOG.com library (at connect.gog.com).

Whether you're checking us out for the first time or looking to copy over your previous purchases, GOG Connect gives you DRM-free versions of your games, along with digital extras and the freedom to choose between standalone installers or the optional GOG Galaxy Client. It's our take on game ownership and we say: why buy the games more than once?

Thanks to our awesome partners including Deep Silver, Harebrained Schemes, Jonathan Blow's Number None, TaleWorlds and more, over 20 games can be added to your GOG.com library if you previously purchased them on Steam.

You can view the full list of games on connect.gog.com, including:
- The Witness
- FTL: Faster Than Light
- The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut
- Galactic Civilizations 3
- Trine Enchanted Edition
- Saints Row 2
- Shadowrun Returns
- The Witcher: Enhanced Edition

While GOG Connect will stick around, the games available will come and go. These are limited-time offers made possible by participating developers and publishers, so stay tuned for more games to come."
hook71RavenslightlolienmlneveseRodrianCrevsDaakmf2112

Comments

• cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    I went to connect my accounts yesterday and got the message "we are experiencing high traffic at the moment, you request could take up to 3 days to process." It seems GoG was not ready for the number of people who would take advantage of this.
    JuliusBorisov
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Just added Shadowrun to my GOG account :)
    JuliusBorisovRodrian
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    Does it go the other way around? If I purchased something on GOG will I ba able to get it through Steam?
    Nope. But there's always hope...
    JuliusBorisov
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    Ps. Provided that you accept Valve terms and conditions.

For European (EU-resident to be more technocratic) gamers that is fine, because imposing illegal conditions on balance of power is null and void.

Valve can ask you to tick, but to sell in EU market, they must comply with our minimum consumer protection.

Let it be said that from Mount & Blade Steam client end-user disaster until Brian Fargo pro-Steam intervention, I boycotted Steam, on user experience grounds. I had to listen to Fargo - which PC gamer should ignore?

I admit I remain reluctant about Valve, perso, as I support it as such to promote non-corporate developers - but as an EU resident positively curious to see how it escalates, as we own SW, not just rent it...
    smeagolheart
    edited June 2016
    To put it in simple terms for most international buyers Steam offers the better price due to exchange rates and local pricing policy. I could have bought the EEs for approximately half what I paid to Beamdog if I had bought from Steam.

In legal terms the final user never owns software. All you can buy is a license for use. If you owned it you could resell as many copies as you wished without fear of being prosecuted for software piracy, but this is taking the thread way off topic.
    Post edited by mlnevese on
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaakdeltago
    mlnevese said:

In legal terms the final user never owns software. All you can buy is a license for use. If you owned it you could resell as many copies as you wished without fear of being prosecuted for software piracy, but this is taking the thread way off topic.

It pleases me some for you to be wrong, pre TTIP at least.

EU Oracle ruling - do you know of it?

Oracle sued a German commercial enterprise that upgraded their licenses and sold off the older ones. EU court decided in favour of that German enterprise: they owned Oracle licenses. So they could upgrade and sell.

Computer games are very trivial compared, but owned in Europe, thus far, pre TTIP at least. Steam can ask us to "tick" that box - but so did Oracle, surely, with a corporate customer!

I am all for EU commercial courts here, and do certainly wish to see TTIP ones, if it comes. Meaning: public courts, not secret mediation.
    mf2112
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Very few games thus far, I'd MUCH rather have all my Steam games on GOG....
    PS: here is a source critical take on the Oracle vs EU court - I admit I never read through this fully, only followed through the journalistic sources to be convinced. As I also read in Finnish gaming journalism that French consumer association is taking action.

http://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/docs/application/pdf/2012-07/cp120094en.pdf

@mlnevese - I think you bought a CD or an mp3 song legit? Do you really think you can burn that CD or rip that MP3 and just hand it away?

I trust you do not. And you would know it to be wrong, surely?

Same must go for SW, games included.

I frankly morally disapprove the pirates, and cannot understand their lack of love for gaming - but it is not right to make it all about them. I still should like to think gaming fans, whom should own their games, always, are the vast majority.
    @TStael That's exactly what I said. All that ruling says is that you have the right to sell or even give away any licenses you own. You never own the software itself.
    mlnevese said:

@TStael That's exactly what I said. All that ruling says is that you have the right to sell or even give away any licenses you own. You never own the software itself.

I wonder why would you not accept that "resale" is ownership?

I am quite impassioned RPG high-fantasy gamer, and I must tell you: I frankly think when I die my gaming library must go forth to my brother, whom should give my BG/DA games forth to my best friend.

If I were wealthy, I'd push it forth to know, as a gamin fan. As it stands. Now my beloved bro probably has to see!
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    They've got some really good consumer protection in the EU on a lot of things.

I admit I am pro-EU, but this is mainly about student exchange, and I must say: consume protection.

Missing your flight in the US is pretty bad - in EU it is understood that balance of power is against the traveller.

We really do - have a warm EU feel that is. But spam is true too.
    @Tsael It's not ownership of software because:

1) You can't sell licenses you don't already own.
    2) You can't create new licenses for the software as you don't own it.
    3) You can't change the software and sell it as your own.

All you own is a use license. The great difference between the EU and most of the world, not all of it, many countries already treated licenses like that BEFORE the EU, is that you have the right to sell that license and even profit from it. In many countries, including the US, your license is personal and not transferable at all.

I'll no longer comment about this issue in this in this thread. It's way off topic. If anyone is interested in discussing this topic feel free to open a new thread.
    mf2112JuliusBorisov
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited September 2016

BGEE is now included into the offer.

This is fantastic if only because this should now give me access to the original version as well. Hopefully they do BG2. Overall this whole enterprise has been a giant waste of time, as among the nearly 250 Steam games I own exactly THREE of them have transferred to my GOG account.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    I had four transfer today. I missed the first time, though.