Skip to content

Civil War: Team Stark or Team Cap

booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
edited June 2016 in Off-Topic
Who do you support in Marvel's Captain America: Civil War movie?

I know there are a lot of Marvel Cinematic Universe fans here, so let's see who is favored! Try to use spoiler tags. If you haven't seen the movie, then GO SEE IT. Really, really good!

Let the battle begin.

Also: share your favorite Civil War memes. Those are funny.
  1. Civil War: Team Stark or Team Cap19 votes
    1. Team Stark
      36.84%
    2. Team Cap
      63.16%
Nonnahswriter[Deleted User]Rodrian

Comments

• ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    Team Cap, cuz I'm anarchist.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    I'm Team Captain.

My boyfriend's Team Stark.

The tension is real, boys.
    Artona[Deleted User]booinyoureyes
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    booinyoureyesNonnahswriterAerakarjustfeelinathome
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    Ugh, I'm in majority. My special snowflake sense is hurting. :<
    booinyoureyesmf2112justfeelinathome
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Nonnahswriter
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    I didn't see the movie and I only read some of the original comics, but if you're going to fight crime, you need to be a cop. How many crooks have gone free because some costumed freak broke chain of evidence?
    mf2112
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Team Cap all the way. I was so pleased with this movie that I just can't say. It was everything I hoped it would be and then some. So many great moments. "The Little guy is now BIG!" It was great all around.

As for Cap vs Iron Man, I understand the reason for "Oversight", but when has that ACTUALLY meant a fair and balanced approach? There are always those with an agenda.

My personal top 5 MCU movies in order are

Iron Man 1
    Civil War
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Winter Soldier
    Avengers 1
    Aerakar
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Hail Hydra

Trolllolol ;)
    booinyoureyes
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited June 2016
    Stark, of course.

Now Ned has been made Hand of the King, so he will finally put those Lannister in their place. You will see.
    booinyoureyesNonnahswriterAerakarRodrian
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Haven't seen the movie yet, but I think I would probably be with Stark. But I'll vote once I've seen the movie.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I'm with Team Stark at the beginning, but Team Cap at the end.

Although now I find it hard to be Team Cap for other reasons...
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Whichever team has :cookie:s
    booinyoureyes
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Dee said:

Although now I find it hard to be Team Cap for other reasons...

I hope that it is an aberration, like when Wolverine and others were skrull replacements. Cap should be as incorruptible as superman. I figure that it was done for the Comics to create controversy and "hopefully" will get resolved before the madness reaches the MCU.
    Nonnahswriter
    It has gotta be mind control or a double agent or some lame thing
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    My money's on "triple agent". But until that gets revealed, I'm going to enjoy feeling like nothing is real anymore.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    I went into the movie expecting to be Team Cap, but came out as Team Stark - quite surprised.

My basic problem is the Winter Soldier character. I haven't read the comic books, but the on-screen character is too broody and silent to be engaging, yet everyone around reacts as if there is some huge charisma I am missing. Don't blame the actor though, it is the writing.

Everything else about this movie I loved, and while I never thought Spiderwman worked well with Avengers continuity in print, this version nails on of the comic book tropes SO well that it has to be my favorite spiderman outing yet (despite the super-hot aunt May).

Still not sure where this movie ranks in my Marvel ratings, definitely in the better half, but not at the top.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    As much as I hate Captain America I would have to support the option that doesn't bow to government overlords.
    edited June 2016

My basic problem is the Winter Soldier character. I haven't read the comic books, but the on-screen character is too broody and silent to be engaging, yet everyone around reacts as if there is some huge charisma I am missing. Don't blame the actor though, it is the writing.

To me the Winter Solider is a classic 90s antihero. In the 90s we got Spawn and emo antiheroes in response to the boring always knows the right thing golden age characters such as Superman and Captain America.

The first Capt America movie was kinda boring. Captain America is going to be good. There's no stakes. How do you challenge a guy like that narratively? Kill his Uncle Ben or his parents and he'll chase the bad guy and then he'll take the bad guy to jail.

The Winter Solider is a more complex character - he's good but he's done bad things. Can he control himself to not do bad things in the future? There's way more opportunity for different more mature stories - will the Winter Soldier kill his Uncle Ben's killer or will he take him to jail? Would anyone believe him if he tries to do the right thing?

A reason the Winter Soldier was a better Captain America movie than the first movie was because you take your incorruptible true to the right thing Captain America and challenge him by giving him a situation with shades of grey by introducing his flawed buddy Bucky. Captain America wants to do the right thing as always but will he choose his best friend who is sort of a bad guy or will he choose his duty to his country's laws? The answer isn't so easy anymore for old Cap. They made Captain America interesting by challenging his beliefs and his character.
    NonnahswriterGreenWarlock
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    @smeagolheart I don't disagree :) but the execution did not work out for me so well on screen. Another example, one of my favorite action heroes is Bruce Willis. In the right role, he is screen magic. But then you get movies like 12 Monkeys and Unbreakable, where he is playing the silent, broody character. He plays these roles well, but when the role dials back too far into that, the charisma that lights up his other roles is suddenly missing. That is how I felt about the Winter Soldier on screen. Intellectually, I understood what they were trying to do, but it just did not engage me on the screen.

That does not mean he will not work for others, nor that people who enjoy the character are wrong. But it is an unusual miss for me with the Marvel Cinematic Universe, of which I am a huge fan. Heck, I even enjoyed both Thor movies :)
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    I kinda wish that there was a compromise. Governments are always so corruptible or easy to infiltrate that any registry is basically only going to be used by villains to kill everyone on the hero's christmas list. If there was an option for all heroes to register with a Avengers-like group of heroes that doesn't answer to a government then I doubt there would have been anything to make a movie about.

Also, Hail Hydra (no trollo)
    booinyoureyes
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Oh, here I thought we were actually talking about the comic for a second.