Skip to content

BG1NPC Bug Report and Discussion Thread

Comments

• MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    That did it. Thank you so much!
  • KaitekKaitek Member Posts: 43
    I want to use this mod to create a party with a lot of banter, does this mean I have to skip Dorn, Neera, Rasaad and Baeloth because they don't banter at all?
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited April 2016
    Kaitek said:

I want to use this mod to create a party with a lot of banter, does this mean I have to skip Dorn, Neera, Rasaad and Baeloth because they don't banter at all?

BG1NPC adds no content for the EE NPCs. Any interactions they have would be from vanilla BGEE (e.g., IIRC Rasaad and Viconia have some dialogs).
  • KaitekKaitek Member Posts: 43
    edited April 2016
    Yeah, I know that this mod doesn't add banter to them, but just wanted to ask how their vanilla banter (if any) compares to other NPCs with this mod? Because I don't want to chase kobolds all over Sword Coast with a bunch of silent Bobs in my party.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Kaitek said:

Yeah, I know that this mod doesn't add banter to them, but just wanted to ask how their vanilla banter (if any) compares to other NPCs with this mod? Because I don't want to chase kobolds all over Sword Coast with a bunch of silent Bobs in my party.

Their EE default banter is actually pretty good.
  • toolargtoolarg Member Posts: 179
    IIRC this mod altered the bandits of Kagain's quest right? Im asking because now only the lady with the splint mail becomes hostile after the little banter, the other guys stay neutral. If I remembered wrong please disregard this comment.
    Yes, that's BG1NPC. What version of BG1NPC are you running?
  • toolargtoolarg Member Posts: 179
    Latest version. Sometimes one of the bandits will turn hostile too longside tha girl, but never all of them as intended. Added the weidu log just in case.
  • dotsdots Member Posts: 37
    Have any other Steam users had issues getting this working with SoD even after running modmerge? As funny as Imoen speaking in Glint's voice is, it's not what I want and I can't tell if I'm doing something wrong or if it's just not compatible with patch 2.1.

I have BG:EE and SoD installed. I extracted modmerge into the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition folder, ran it, and it seems to have done everything it's supposed to do. Then I install BG1NPC and start a new game. Imoen's banters, PIDs, and interjections are all messed up, pulling random lines from SoD. I haven't checked any other NPCs yet, but I wouldn't be surprised to find they have the same issue.
    edited May 2016
    @dots - I have no problems running BG1NPC on v2.1 downloaded from Beamdog. So, it sounds like the issue is with the modmerge extraction process. Is the DLC zip file renamed after running modmerge? If there is still a dlc.zip file, I assume the game will see it and use it in place of the modded resources.
    toolarg said:

Latest version. Sometimes one of the bandits will turn hostile too longside tha girl, but never all of them as intended. Added the weidu log just in case.

Looks like they aren't hearing her call for Help() properly. I've got a reworked script that is working in tests. I'll have a fix in the next version. Thanks for the bug report!
    @AstroBryGuy There was. I tried reinstalling the game and running modmerge again which. That got rid of the zip but. Imoen's banters a little more sensible now, except for her PIDs which are still pulling from SoD, but they're still firing at the wrong times - she starts talking about Gorion's dead body before I've even found it, for example. And her 'poking me' dialogues keep going off like I'm constantly clicking on her, which I am not. Very weird, especially since things seem to be working fine for other people.

I'll try fighting with it more when I'm less frustrated lol.
    Did you start a new game or run an old saved game on a new install? If there is a variable set that is triggering a dialog from Imoen, but the dialog doesn't update the variable, then the condition continues to trigger a dialog.

One possibility is that the mod is installed with the PIDs first. Then, every dialog trigger fires the PIDs. Normally, BG1NPC won't do this, but this can happen is if you don't start fresh after an update of the game (i.e., blank slate, no mods installed). The WeiDU log file can get blanked and then BG1NPC installs itself on top of an existing install and you end up with a mess.
    I did start a new game after the new install. What I didn't do, and I should have known better, is make sure it was a completely fresh install. This time I yanked the whole Baldur's Gate file, reinstalled again, and now everything seems to be working correctly, including the PIDs! *\o/* Fingers crossed things stay that way.

Thank you so much for your help!
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    @AstroBryGuy Sometimes NPC conversation start when a battle begin or in the middle and it just seem so wrong, can anything be done about it, like to add it that while fighting NPCs won't start talking to me?
    edited May 2016
    kaguana said:

@AstroBryGuy Sometimes NPC conversation start when a battle begin or in the middle and it just seem so wrong, can anything be done about it, like to add it that while fighting NPCs won't start talking to me?

Do you have specific dialogues you are having issues with? The BG1NPC scripts are usually* written to fire dialogs only when the CombatCounter is 0 and no enemies are seen. So, they should not fire during combat.

*There are exceptions. For example, Branwen has a dialog in reaction to the happenings at the archeological site, and it only makes sense once a certain enemy has appeared.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Iirc, there is a component to pause combat during NPC dialogue, right?
    @AstroBryGuy well mostly it Xan dialogues that fire in a lot of untimely manner
    kaguana said:

@AstroBryGuy well mostly it Xan dialogues that fire in a lot of untimely manner

Do you have some specific examples? That would be most helpful in diagnosing the issue.
    Hmm I don't really remember which dialog fire up when it was in the middle of a battle, but his dialog of looking at charname and say "hoo well I might try it" or something like that pop up a lot I think once it was right at the beginning of a battle, but it wasn't the only one.
    @kaguana - Thanks. That would be Xan's flirts. I think I see what might be causing the issue you are seeing. The flirt variable is only set outside of combat, but if combat starts before the flirt dialog occurs, a script can fire the dialog in combat. I'll put additional CombatCounter checks on the flirt dialog scripts. I think that should keep the dialog from firing in combat.
  • ButtersconeButterscone Member Posts: 6
    I'm running BGEE without SOD and the open Cloakwood areas and NPC starting locations are not working. And, yes, I installed the mod before I visited the FAI. I'm running all the same mods that I did before I upgraded BGEE and BG1NPC and both of those components worked fine then.

I'm running BGEE without SOD and the open Cloakwood areas and NPC starting locations are not working. And, yes, I installed the mod before I visited the FAI. I'm running all the same mods that I did before I upgraded BGEE and BG1NPC and both of those components worked fine then.

You have to start a completely new game for those components, not just install before you visit FAI. The Worldmap and BALDUR.GAM files are copied when a new game is created. Changes made to those files by mods will not be reflected in existing save games.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    It seems that if you talk to Zeke at the Carnival, while Jaheira is in the party, the dialog spawns an extra scroll, rather than taking his scroll, because you can still pickpocket Zeke after for a 2nd scroll.
    edited June 2016
    I seem to have troubles getting Dynaheir's quest started. Wasn't Drizzt supposed to mention something about the Journal, right after helping him fight the Gnolls at the Fisherman's Lake?

EDIT: My bad. It turns out the documentation for her questline is outdated. The Drizzt at the Fisherman's lake doesn't say anything, but if you then travel to an adjacent area, he'll walk up to you.
    Post edited by Thels on
    edited June 2016
    Is Imoen's Artifact supposed to be usable by others? If so, is it supposed to trigger Wild Magic?

Also, Lord Foreshadow's Ring describes that it raises charisma to 18, but it actually sets it to 18.
    Post edited by Thels on
  • beobeo Member Posts: 143
    I'm trying BG1 NPC for the first time, on BGEE+SoD.

When I go to Beregost this will happen.

Then I entered random house.

Is it problem with my installation or something else is completely wrong?
    It looks like the string references in the dialog files are incorrect. Did you update the base game after installing the mod? After an update of the base game, it is necessary to start fresh with installing mods.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2016
    Also if you are playing the game on gog or steam make sure you used modmerge.
  • beobeo Member Posts: 143
    edited June 2016
    I have more mods (BG1NPC, UB,..) and had to reinstall one (SoD GUI Overhaul) which probably made a mess of it.

After reinstalling all in order again, it works ok.