Skip to content

Anybody doing a no-reload challenge on their first playthrough?

I'd be interested to hear your experiences. Especially if you've been avoiding spoilers. Good luck!
lolien

Comments

• gnaumiecgnaumiec Member Posts: 62
    This was my original intent, but was quite short lived. I discovered the hard way that archers now ignore your front lines and attack your squishy back line, including your Charname mage. Fire arrows did not agree with him and my no-reload challenge ended quickly in the prologue dungeon. I really like this AI! I'm going to finish the game with my mage now before I try again. Love this game!
    mlnevese
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited April 2016
    I would say that doing a no-reload the first time you play the game would be quite hard if not impossible. All it takes is an unexpected trap or an action of the smarter AI now implemented in the game, as @gnaumiec discovered in the previous post, to end it.

A solo run would be even harder as it would require guessing where to get what you need and what to avoid.
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • cdxcdx Member Posts: 90
    I'd consider it but I'm way too curious not to check different outcomes from various conversations. As for difficulty - if you have the patience to scout everything (hidden char + thief + auto-pause), stay at full health all the time, rest very often (for spells), go invisible/run away everytime something unexpected happens, keep CHARNAME safely back, etc, it should be much easier. Only problem would be if your way to retreat is cut off, and I've seen this happen at least once.

For me it's a tradeoff between soaking in more content (many unnecessary reloads) or better immersion /excitement (no reloads) in the first playthrough. There's only one first time though, so maybe going for no-reload is the better option. After all, all the other content will still be there for next playthroughs. It would be extremely slow going though, compared to full-reload play.

I still have good memories playing Diablo 3, going hardcore for my first playthrough and getting cornered by the butcher. Coultn'd move, just kept whacking at him in desperation. Killed him, on about 5% health. Most fun moment I've had in D3.
    FinnTheHuman
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I'm playing on the Insane difficulty, blind, after importing a canon good party from BGEE led by a cleric/thief. Gone through the first dungeon without reloads and will try to see how it unfolds in the future.
    FinnTheHuman
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
    mlnevese said:

I would say that doing a no-reload the first time you play the game would be quite hard if not impossible. All it takes is an unexpected trap or an action of the smarter AI now implemented in the game, as @gnaumiec discovered in the previous post, to end it.

A solo run would be even harder as it would require guessing where to get what you need and what to avoid.

Yeah. That's why I'm interested. No meta game knowledge adds a dimension we only get every once in forever.

Also, as @cdx says, reloading for more content. Its so tempting to just unwrap every present at once.
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Yes, and for this reason i don't read these things.
  • lurithlurith Member Posts: 55
    Hi all!

I successfully completed a no-reload in BG1 and I thought, I might as well continue the challenge with SoD. I shared my BG1 adventure on the no-reload thread https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/40393/maybe-this-time-no-reload-thread-sieging-dragonspear-in-no-reload#latest

and I will keep posting there until my adventure becomes a minimal reload. Feel free to visit and comment :) Losing the no-reload status is almost a matter of time because I have avoided spoilers of any kind, and like @mlnevese said, a blind no-reload playthrough is very difficult even for an expert, which I am most certainly not.

Briefly, so far I made it to the

Bridge where CHARNAME meets the Shinning Lady. So far so good. It helps that I am well equipped, coming from BG1. I didn't take any chances with mages and I used up my supply of arrows of dispelling. Safana is drinking invisibility potion and scouting for foes and traps every time we get to a dungeon or any other high-risk place. Indeed, I am feeling that I am missing out on content (I am not reading guides either), collecting quest-items that I never get to use, but that only will make the second playthrough more interesting :)
    mlneveseJuliusBorisovlolienFinnTheHuman
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I lost my own no-reload status very early in SoD when I

went to the top floor of Sorcerous Sundries before I had found Minsc, Dynaheir, and Safana. The wizard there landed a Dire Charm on my (involuntarily) solo character.
    mlneveselurithFinnTheHumanJuliusBorisov
  • lurithlurith Member Posts: 55
    Condolences, @BelgarathMTH

I rushed to get my companions and I wouldn't have lasted long at all without them.
    lolienFinnTheHumanJuliusBorisovBelgarathMTH
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
    Soon, I hope to be able to read these runthroughs, but I'm still trying to avoid spoilers until ipad version is released. Thanks for hiding all details with spoiler buttons.
    lolienJuliusBorisovBelgarathMTH
  • BroninBronin Member Posts: 29
    edited March 2018
    Deleted post.
    Post edited by Bronin on
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited March 2018
    As long as we're necro-ing this thread, I actually tried to beat SoD no-reload on my first try, though we had some very close calls. It starts here and ends here.
    BroninJuliusBorisovlolien
  • BroninBronin Member Posts: 29
    edited March 2018
    Sorry. Oops, seems like I posted my last post in the wrong forum. Didn't realise this thread is for siege of dragonspear. Found the thread on google but fairly new to forums. I am in underground river area in siege playthrough (first playthrough, not blind as i seen all of siege on youtube in 2016). If I update, it will not be in this thread.
    JuliusBorisovlolien