Skip to content

What's your favourite romance?

Comments

• AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Oremus said:

My favorite romance, though, is from the Tashia mod. :)

That was a well done mod but I had compatability issues with it where the dialogue screwed up item descriptions and other text in the game. I won't be reinstalling for that reason.

My favorite BG romance was Jaheira for the reasons mentioned above. She is a good balance of strength and vulnerability and realism. Aerie is too passive/low-self-esteem and I know I would ditch Viconia in real life before making it to the end of TOB with her.

My favorite RPG romance is Bastila from KOTOR. The accent works.
  • EpitomyofShynessEpitomyofShyness Member Posts: 113
    Oh jeez! If we're bringing other Bioware games in then Garrus pwns everything alive! ;-)
    serabietMoira
  • OremusOremus Member Posts: 15
    AHF said:

That was a well done mod but I had compatability issues with it where the dialogue screwed up item descriptions and other text in the game.

That is unfortunate. That kind of thing happened to me when I installed an early Nalia romance, though the results were absolutely hilarious (watching Chloe and Imoen spout item names and other random text at each other, etc.). After that I became extremely careful in adding a single NPC mod at a time, for the most part, and removing it for the nex playthrough. Thankfully I never had that problem with Tashia.

I agree that Bastila from KOTOR was also great.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    @Angelo Did you create an account with that name just to make that post? Very impressive sir.

*tips cap*
    Sophia
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    edited September 2012
    Kiea said:

The Kelsey romance was entertaining when you had Anomen around. Kelsey's snarky comments to Anomen's attempts at flirtation crack me up every time.

Kelsey was OK but a bit too sugary, so he always ended up with Imoen when I had him around.
    Lol I remember reading a brilliantly written fan-fiction story about a one night-stand between Kelsey and Anomen that made it impossible for me to take his love-talks seriously, I kept imagining the two of them together.

You can read it here: http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?topic=149.0;wap2 . Enjoy! ;)
    Post edited by Koson on
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
    Viconia hands down.
    She's tough on the outside, but if you dig deep enough, you'll find another level... which is still tough.
    Two or three levels more, and you'll find the scared little girl who's all alone in the world, has been betrayed (possibly raped) by surface men, and wants you to be with her BECAUSE YOU WANT TO.
    It's sweet, really.
    Gives me hope for hopeless people.

They all said Jaheira's romance is pretty good, but I've never done it 'cause I personally hate the character.

I've never tried Aerie because I don't want to carry her mage/cleric *** around. Also she's very whiny. However, they told me she takes a level in badass in ToB (what with giving birth to a child in a dungeon and continuing adventuring).

I did tried Anomen. The guy's too obnoxious to bother, though.

As for mods... I'm too afraid of how they could ruin my beloved game to ever try one.
    Quartz
  • KortokKortok Member Posts: 165
    I honestly don't ever bother with romances in videogames. I am there to get revenge/slay my enemies, not to find a wife.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    @Kortok, so maybe baldur's gate isn't the best choice of game for you. Diablo, max paine, god of war among other games may fill better your needs.
    Quartzserabiet
    kamuizin said:

@Kortok, so maybe baldur's gate isn't the best choice of game for you. Diablo, max paine, god of war among other games may fill better your needs.

Yes clearly because I don't care about romance the BG series isn't for me.

• squidddsquiddd Member Posts: 7
    1.Aerie
    2.Aerie
    3.Aerie
    frede957
    edited September 2012
    @Kortok, meant that more because of your comment of "I am there to get revenge/slay my enemies".
    Romance is a side quest as many others, if you want to focus in the hack and slash maybe you should try other possibilities.
    Quartz
    kamuizin said:

@Kortok, meant that more because of your comment of "I am there to get revenge/slay my enemies".
    Romance is a side quest as many others, if you want to focus in the hack and slash maybe you should try other possibilities.

I have been playing BG since 1998. My purpose is to get revenge against Sarevok for killing Gorion, and I do many of the other side quests, many of which include slaying my enemies. You jumped to conclusions by recommending those action games. I just don't like romance in my videogames.
    Ok dude, i "jumped to conclusions" if that makes you happier.
    Kortokdjenin
  • ValchistValchist Member Posts: 44
    Jaheira
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    edited September 2012
    Anomen never graced my party long enough for a romance to start and I don't play male characters so there go the official options.

From the mod pool I tried Xan, Sarevok, Edwin and Kelsey and couldn't really get into any of them. Then again, I disliked Xan in BG1 so that probably wasn't for me. Interestingly enough it wasn't the writing but rather Kelsey's voice acting is what put me off that one. With Edwin it was the dialogue... I called it quits when I kept seeing dialogue options of calling that proud man 'Eddie' and making fun of him.

Then recently I gave the Haer'Dalis romance mod a go and it was absolutely great.

I've heard a lot of good things said about Angelo, Tsujatha and Adrian so I might try those next :)

I hope the new romances in BG1 compare or surpass those introduced by mods. *fingers crossed* Charname wants a love triangle (or square!) All you NPCs stand in awe of my 21 Charisma (with tome & cloak) ...you cannot resist me! Come, let us defy the conventions of society and the boundaries of race! :P
  • SophiaSophia Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 581

Anomen never graced my party long enough for a romance to start and I don't play male characters so there go the official options.

From the mod pool I tried Xan, Sarevok, Edwin and Kelsey and couldn't really get into any of them. Then again, I disliked Xan in BG1 so that probably wasn't for me. Interestingly enough it wasn't the writing but rather Kelsey's voice acting is what put me off that one. With Edwin it was the dialogue... I called it quits when I kept seeing dialogue options of calling that proud man 'Eddie' and making fun of him.

Then recently I gave the Haer'Dalis romance mod a go and it was absolutely great.

I've heard a lot of good things said about Angelo, Tsujatha and Adrian so I might try those next :)

I hope the new romances in BG1 compare or surpass those introduced by mods. *fingers crossed* Charname wants a love triangle (or square!) All you NPCs stand in awe of my 21 Charisma (with tome & cloak) ...you cannot resist me! Come, let us defy the conventions of society and the boundaries of race! :P

I higly recommend you to try out the Angelo mod, is very well written and realistic. Plus, even if you don't want to romance him, Angelo can be really funny :)
    EpitomyofShyness
  • VargnattVargnatt Member Posts: 42
    zarffyn said:

Vargnatt said:

Xan, Kulyok is a living goddess *__*

Even as she breaks your heart and makes you cry. ;_;
    Precisely, that is what I loved about this mod
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    edited September 2012
    I must admit, I've never done any romance other than Aerie, this because I just don't like Jahiera, and whether its the first or second game, she never stays on my party for long, and I figured I'd just try Viconia on an evil game, but I never got around to making one, I will soon though.
    Of course I'll have to wait until next year before I can get to bg2ee anyway, but still.
    And I also never got around to doing mod romances, I downloaded some, but then I got distracted by something, so that never happened either.
  • ZwiebelchenZwiebelchen Member Posts: 86
    edited September 2012
    I think the Imoen mod was pretty well written. It's almost a must-have install if you keep her in your party after saving her in spellhold. Too bad the writer fell into the "rape is the most evil thing in the world" trap. Other than that, this mod is probably the highest quality NPC mod I've played. Custom music, very well written dialogues (the campfire scene is almost legendary) and of course, a character that suddenly becomes likeable instead of being just an annoyance (I loved how Imoen developed in TOB ... too bad she is just annoying in BG1).
    Then again, I think the most impact on why I liked Imoen was the great german voice actress. After I heard the english original, I so had to laugh because she sounds like a spoiled schoolgirl in the original.
    Emmi
  • serabietserabiet Member Posts: 52
    edited September 2012

Too bad the writer fell into the "rape is the most evil thing in the world" trap.

I'm sorry, what? Not going to pick a fight but dude, what? That's a completely unnecessary, rude and extremely triggering remark on a public forum.
    EpitomyofShynessCommunard
    serabiet said:

Too bad the writer fell into the "rape is the most evil thing in the world" trap.

I'm sorry, what? Not going to pick a fight but dude, what? That's a completely unnecessary, rude and extremely triggering remark on a public forum.
    Because you probably took me wrong here. I'm not defending crimes or anything, I was totally refering to this from a writers point of view.
    I simply dislike the typical cliches used by writers to create a dramatic effect to the audience. Basicly, this part of the story on this mod was added to have an *effect* on the player, not for a story purposes at all. In a story where Imoen was tortured and left in an almost-dead state, where Irenicus used several kinds of extreme mind-torture, I felt it simply was out of the frame ... just something to sparkle protection instincts, if you want to call it like that.

It has become pretty common in recent literature. There's an interesting article about it on tvtropes:
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RapeAsBackstory?from=Main.RapeIsTheNewDeadParents
    Quartz
    I am fully aware of the trope and what you tried to bring across. I took offense to your wording of it - and no, it wasn't my bad, you wouldn't toss racial slurs all over the place either, right? The aftertaste in what you said was that rape is liek ugh so cliche (no matter whether you meant something else or not) trivializes it like hell, and you have no idea if someone reading what you wrote is a survivor and gets triggered. Just that.
    Communard
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    serabiet said:

I am fully aware of the trope and what you tried to bring across. I took offense to your wording of it - and no, it wasn't my bad, you wouldn't toss racial slurs all over the place either, right? The aftertaste in what you said was that rape is liek ugh so cliche (no matter whether you meant something else or not) trivializes it like hell, and you have no idea if someone reading what you wrote is a survivor and gets triggered. Just that.

I understand your concern, and I mostly agree with you really, but you are *trying* to be offended and that's just as controversial of an attitude as his. You are trying to be a white knight by pointing out that he could offend people, but at the same time you are playing a mostly emotional-based argument and that is not going to help anything.
    Well it's nice that you know my past well enough to be able to tell whether I have personal experience or not. Comparison to other offensive language stands.
    Communard
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    serabiet said:

Well it's nice that you know my past well enough to be able to tell whether I have personal experience or not. Comparison to other offensive language stands.

Yeeaahh ... you really just want a fight. Well as you wish, you can have it then, I'm done here. Peace.
    No, I don't. I want the same amount of consideration when forming sentences whether it's rape, race or anything that might offend. Not much to ask, certainly nothing to fight over, I'd hope. Just something to mull over.
    Communard
    You might have considered that english is not my native language and thats why I chose this particular formulation because I didn't think of how it could be mistaken?
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 278
    I never found Viconia in the old days... so I never got that romance, so my favorite between Aerie and Jaheira is Jaheira.
    It's not my native language either.

I'm kind of hoping with BG2:EE the devs have permission to save the scrapped Valygar and Haer'Dalis romances. It's a bug they got ditched, right?
    CrazedSlayerCommunardwhitewolf
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    No, they were cut before they got written.
    Quartz