Skip to content

amika drew something

amikaamika Member Posts: 34
i haven't actually drawn any baldur's gate fanart beyond, like, my portrait yet, because i am the worst, but here's my 5e tabletop character who's an adaptation of my bg protagonist

here she's a swashbuckler/warlock who got her soul trapped in her sword because she tried to cheat a demon at dice

yes those are high fantasy wedge heels, fight me
RavenslightronaldoButtercheesemf2112Troodon80NimranNonnahswriterdeltagosparkleavJuliusBorisovs0ulafeinjoluvRodrianO_BruceSkatan

Comments

• ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    This mod idea, I like.
    Let us know when the mod is done, please! :smiley:
    mf2112Troodon80
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Those are some of the most BY-like portraits I've seen. Very nice job. Thanks for sharing it with us!
    mf2112amika
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited July 2016
    Wow, you're amazing and should definitely continue drawing and sharing! Personally, I think the first one of the two in your last post is incredible. The latter is more balduresque, but I don't care so much for that.

Edit: btw, we have our love and talent for drawing in common. I too have drawn my own avatar. Bask in my glory, people. Bask!
    ButtercheeseTroodon80amika
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    amika said:

oh god im the stubborn worst

(as always, if you want to use these in your game, please do)

Will do.
    amikas0ulafein
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Omg, you've outdone yourself! The difference between the version above and this last one is really amazing and the end result is very balduresque.

The best compliment I can give is that the pic gives me great ideas for new CHARNAMEs!
    JuliusBorisovmf2112amika
    It looks great. That it even has hair strings/ties really adds some extra BG flavour too, though you've used a far too sensible amount of them for it to be really BG :P

How long did you spend from time to finish, by the way?
    mf2112amika
  • amikaamika Member Posts: 34
    edited July 2016
    thankyew!

@scriver - I'm not sure beyond "so long that my partner has been teasing me about it." I sat down with it about 3 different times, because after looking it for too long I start to get used to it and miss things that I'd want to change later.

I was learning a lot about how the original artist did the existing portraits, too, so I don't think it would take me as long next time either.

Whenever I didn't know what to do next, I'd copy the portrait into an image I have of all the default portraits and see how close it looked. The hair was my big struggling point. Those are actually Valygar's eyebrows.

I've been thinking about doing a tutorial... with someone else's face (nobody needs to see my half-asleep webcam selfies) if I get a little smoother at it.

edit: Oh yeah, if you want my portrait comparison/cheat sheet, be warned that it makes things really frustrating

for now, here are some tips on art forgery, with apologies to Mike Sass:

- It helps a lot to put yourself into that 1999 mindset... Photoshop 5.5 has just come out... the smudge tool is this great new tool that can't possibly be overused... I (keep complaining about the hair) couldn't get the hair to look remotely right until I blocked it in using dark colours, drew individual strands with lighter colours on 3 or 4 separate layers above, and (subtly! at the roots/ends!) smudged them.

- Sass uses much warmer palettes than I typically do, and I had a terrible time keeping my portrait from looking like she had a bad spray tan. There was a lot of levels/curves/selective colour shenanigans going on in my PSD file, but if you're worried it looks a little orange on its own, it'll probably look fine in with the others. I think all the orange/blue highlights he uses keeps them from looking weird.

- Since the portraits are usually viewed very small, the features are kind of caricaturized - even though they're realistic, even Keldorn has big adorable doe eyes. It helps a lot to zoom in on existing portraits and try to figure out how he painted individual features and just shamelessly jack his techniques like a horrible person. Elves look way more alien than humans. Every person's handsome, chiseled jawline is lit in these portraits and it's really important to also do that if you want it to fit in.
    Post edited by amika on
    ButtercheesescriverJuliusBorisov
  • JimstromJimstrom Member Posts: 98
    This is a lovely portrait, and it look like a really good Neera replacement portrait.
    JuliusBorisov
    Cool and thanks for all the info!
    JuliusBorisov