Skip to content

what size will the game be?

Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
edited July 2012 in Android (Archive)
For PC's, size doesn't matter, for tablets it does though. Like many tablets, mine has only 8 GB of flash memory, some have even 4 GB or less. And that space BGEE will have to share with other apps and, if one doesn't have external card memory, your pics, videos and documents as well. So, on to the all-important question for the Android-app:

How big will BGEE installed as an app be?

Comments

• powerfulallypowerfulally Member Posts: 261
    @Son_of_Imoen it should be significantly smaller than original release - code contained a lot of repeated content and now it's cleaned up. Also, the compression mechanisms improved a lot, as Trent said.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806

@Son_of_Imoen it should be significantly smaller than original release - code contained a lot of repeated content and now it's cleaned up. Also, the compression mechanisms improved a lot, as Trent said.

That's something I thought of as well. Still, I'd like to know the exact number of GB. Will it be 1, 1,5, 2, 3GB?

• SystemsSystems Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2012
    It will be quite amusing if it can't run on a brand new 8GB Google Nexus.

The original game came on about 5CDs I seem to recall so let's say that's about 3GB absolutely tops. I reckon they'll do the same as with a lot of Tegra 2/3 games these days - you download the main app and if you have the extra hardware it downloads an HD content pack or whatever for those who can use it (as done for Dead Trigger for example).
    lars_rosenberg
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    Hope it will be same as for: iPad
    "3G or 4G not required. Going to be on the large side though. Estimate is slightly over 1 Gig in size atm."
    - Trent
  • lars_rosenberglars_rosenberg Member Posts: 15
    1 Gb in the sdcard is quite normal. There are gameloft games that have more data
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    iOS version is at 1.3Gb right now, according to some tweets from Trent Oster. He recommends to have at least 1.5Gb free.

I don`t think the Android requirements should be that much different.
    Nathan
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    That should fit. It's a lot less than vanilla BG.
  • specter597specter597 Member Posts: 15
    But will it be movable to external sdcards? And (more importantly) will it work on devices where the idiot designers have labeled the sdcard something weird like "extSDCard" (Thanks a lot Samsung...)
    edited September 2012
    I hope there will be BG:Ultimate version with both BG1EE & BG2EE (and all the goodies) included.
    As you know maximum app size in Google Play is 4Gb. So it is not a problem.
    @CameronTofer @TrentOster
  • Drian_ThierfDrian_Thierf Member Posts: 9
    The original game was so big because of music and sounds afair. I think that they were uncompressed in any way.
  • shadowstriker85shadowstriker85 Member Posts: 14
    Trent Oster:
    "The new compression approach is going quite well. It is looking to fall in line with our under 2GB install size for iPad "

I can't imagine it would be a different size for Android
    @TrentOster
    "To fit it on tablets we've changed the compression. BG is palette-based on PC, we've moved it to PVRTC on the iPad and DXTC on Android."

• TrentOsterTrentOster Administrator, Developer Posts: 433
    The game is looking to be 3GB on PC, 2GB on iPad and we've yet to make the call on Android. Worst case, Android will be the full 3GB.

-Trent
    RisingsunMystraTheMage
  • RisingsunRisingsun Member Posts: 99
    @trentoser I'm sure that number will go up once the new DLC hits and possibly with future patches/updates.

So safe bet to leave at least 2.5GBs of space open for the future on iPad?
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367

The game is looking to be 3GB on PC, 2GB on iPad and we've yet to make the call on Android. Worst case, Android will be the full 3GB.

-Trent

A lot has changed from September of 2012 hasn't it?
    PC version is only 1.8 GB, rather than the predicted 3GB, I wonder where it will sit with this new renderer we've been promised...
  • GriegGrieg Member Posts: 507
    Looks like it's about 1.8GB in the I-store for Ipads, so I believe that Android build will be similar size.
    source: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition/id515114051
  • shiftedshifted Member Posts: 5
    Order and Chaos is like 1.4GB or something. I would imagine it will be at least 1GB.