Skip to content

So about this drizzt guy...

So i'm playing through the game as usual then i come across this band of gnolls. I get prepared to slaughter them, then this random elven dude comes along and kills them for me. Is this guy an important realms figure? 'cause he did have some unusually good loot for an npc. Keep in mind i've never read any realms books.

Comments

• mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    He is an important realms figure. If you play through BG2 you will meet him again.
    JuliusBorisov
  • alceryesalceryes Member Posts: 380
    Drizzt is one of the most recognizable recurring characters in the forgotten realms world. How you interact with him in BGI WILL have consequences in BGII if you import that same character.
    JuliusBorisov
  • LordinLordin Member Posts: 30
    alceryes said:

Drizzt is one of the most recognizable recurring characters in the forgotten realms world. How you interact with him in BGI WILL have consequences in BGII if you import that same character.

Well I might be in a bit of trouble considering he knocked out half my party
    Lordin said:

Well I might be in a bit of trouble considering he knocked out half my party

Yeah, he is extremely powerful in BGI (relative to your party). The BGII interaction is not game-ending so don't worry too much. You are also much more powerful when you see him in BGII.
    Some people purposely go the 'kill'em' route just to role-play evil SOB's or because the equipment is too good to pass up.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    Use the gnolls as cannon fodder and try to focus on killing him as soon as possible.

Then when you're done put a flower on each gnolls halberd and say a small prayer for their bravery in aiding you against the insufferable drizzt.
    ConjurerDragonAerakarsarevok57FinnTheHuman
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    Yeah i get what you mean, I was mostly referring to his bg1 appearance and of course what I know about from reputation(his fans included) I suppose another example might be wolverine for me.

I don't let Drizzt set the baseline on how I feel about drow either, because I quite like the underdark and it's denizens.

• KennisKennis Member Posts: 124
    It's worth offing him on principle alone. "Drizzt, your uppance has come"
    smeagolheart
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    PK2748 said:

More people kill him because he deserves to die the death of all annoying, cliche ridden Mary Sur characters.

Even if he is an "annoying, cliche ridden Mary Sur character," he is at least a good guy. He doesn't deserve to get murdered.
    SmilingSword
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    RelSundan said:

PK2748 said:

More people kill him because he deserves to die the death of all annoying, cliche ridden Mary Sur characters.

Even if he is an "annoying, cliche ridden Mary Sur character," he is at least a good guy. He doesn't deserve to get murdered.
    Everyone with good equipment deserves to die,
    Unless they can kick your ass and/or you have a thief with really good pickpocket skills.
    ConjurerDragonJuliusBorisovsarevok57
  • RelSundanRelSundan Member Posts: 918

RelSundan said:

PK2748 said:

Everyone with good equipment deserves to die,
    Unless they can kick your ass and/or you have a thief with really good pickpocket skills.
    Lets pickpocket Firkraag boys.
    JuliusBorisovsarevok57
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    So apparently you can no long activate the trolls and the dark elf dies off scene. I want to revert back to a version where I never see him
    PK2748 said:

So apparently you can no long activate the trolls and the dark elf dies off scene. I want to revert back to a version where I never see him

No, it still works. Sometimes the Gnolls don't trigger though.
    I just loaded up a save to test and the first time I tried it the Gnolls didn't trigger but the second time they did. I'm using v2.3.67.3.
    mf2112
    I just tried it and eventually Drizzit killed the Gnoll even though I never saw him. Gnoll just started dying in the dark
    Hmmm...maybe they changed the behavior(?)
    I'd say try it several times, make sure the character that triggers them is hidden or invisible, and be sure to move that character a good distance away from Drizzt and the Gnolls after triggering them.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    edited July 2016
    PK2748 said:

@PK2748

He's only cliche and Mary Sue because of all the ripoffs of his character since the Crystal Shard was first written in 1988. To counter the Mary Sue comment, he was actually written with a bunch of intentional flaws, such as his codependency and guilt-ridden melodrama. This was of course before those things were common. NOW it's cliche, but it was original at the time.

Saying Drizzt is annoying and cliche because he is a Mary Sue is like saying Baldur's Gate is annoying because of all the Save The World And Find Out About Your Parentage Because You're An Orphan Combination Insert Plot Element Here RPGs made since.

I agree with @Jarrakul . It is his fans that really piss me off. The books are awesome (up to a point). Yknow...like the New York Yankees. They are a good team, but their fans make every other person in the US hate them.

Edit:corrected typo.
    mf2112ThacoBellRelSundan
    I disagree entirely. The good guy everyone thinks is a bad guy because of his race is a cliche a lot older than 1988. He was given a few emotional flaws to hang story hooks on but he was still fabulous at every endeavor. You can be an emotionally wrought and fraught Mary Sue. Nothing about Drizzle was particularly original and I have never been impressed with Salvatore's writing.
    Also tried hide, invis and hidden. The damned Drow fights back against the gnolls
    PK2748 said:

Also tried hide, invis and hidden. The damned Drow fights back against the gnolls

I just loaded up a save and Drizzt died by the Gnolls hands on the third try. I turned off AI and swung a stealthed character around the bottom 3 Gnolls. They triggered, ran up to Drizzt, and started swinging. I even just left the character right where he triggered the Gnolls. Since they run up and out of view it's no big deal if he loses stealth. It took a while and was actually slightly comical. Two of the Gnolls had their weapons break and one of the ones I didn't even trigger got fried by lightning from a storm. Luckily, the third one swinging on Drizzt kept his weapon and after fifteen minutes finished off Drizzt.

All I can say is keep trying.
    mashedtaters
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I thought drizzt was just there as a fun cameo to show a "little more life" in the BG world, back in the day, if you saw him, it was probably more of a; wow, it's drizzt that is so cool, sort of thing, drizzt appears, does his thing, and leaves, he is there just for the cameo, and life moves on, and then back in the day when no one knew about exploits, they made it so if you some how killed this guy, you would be rewarded with his renown items

in vanilla BG Drizzt is a lot more powerful than his EE counterpart (aside from the fact that the EE drizzt can see invisible creatures just for the pure fact to stop killing him with invisible exploits) when it comes to melee combat, in the original BG there was no dual wielding so they just gave drizzt some outrageously powerful attacks to make up for it, and show that he doesn't mess around, but now adays, if you have the right items with the right spells and proficiency, I've killed him with a team that had 55 000 XP each in melee combat without using exploits
    RelSundanmashedtatersFinnTheHuman
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Lordin said:

Is this guy an important realms figure? 'cause he did have some unusually good loot for an npc. Keep in mind i've never read any realms books.

Drizzt is indeed an important realms figure. He is a character created by R.A. Salvatore, who is probably the foremost writer of Forgotten Realms literature. He wrote at least a dozen books with Drizzt as the central character. If you ever get a chance you should read them, as he is quite a good author and does a great job at bringing the Forgotten Realms to life through text.

mashedtaters