Skip to content

What's wrong with this area? Is it bugged?

I don't know if this is something the Enhanced Edition added, because I don't remember this in the original game, but it's now possible to enter the abandoned house near the fishermen's lake (SSW of Beregost or NW of Nashkel). In the cellar behind a closed door there is an NPC, and deep below is a big dungeon with some hostile NPC, but all of the dialogue, NPC names and sounds are completely wrong. I get to hear about the seven-legged spider out of the blue, my words are not my own and so on. It's pretty crazy, actually. I recently installed SoD, so thought it was some problem with my dialog.tlk or other files. So I started a new game, but everything is fine elswhere. The caves beneath the house also suffer from graphical glitches - horizontal lines.

Anybody know what's wrong?

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    That is a pretty crazy bug.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I know that in the original vanilla version, if you cheated to teleport in there ( because that was the only way to get in there) your game would instantly freeze, im thinking what happened was originally they were going to put something there, but then at the last second they abandoned that idea, so maybe when SoD gets installed, it does some bizarre thing where it allows access to it, and that might be the reason why you are seeing all the craziness, maybe because its still supposed to not be accessible
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    What, no one else has been there? Just go through the abandoned house's door. All of the area is very well drawn - it is an immense, three-level dungeon, the biggest in the game probably. But the dialogue is all screwed-up, and there are few rewards. If someone wants to rewrite it and populate it with better monsters, the graphics job is all done for you...
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    That area isn't accessible in the current version of the game. My uninformed best guess is that you have a mod that that adds content there using the same area code as one of the SoD dungeons, which would naturally cause problems.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    joluv said:

That area isn't accessible in the current version of the game. My uninformed best guess is that you have a mod that that adds content there using the same area code as one of the SoD dungeons, which would naturally cause problems.

Unless the mod uses a BD prefix I can't see that being the case (they shouldn't use a BD prefix since this is Beamdog's prefix for SoD).
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2016
    Must be a mod. The map you are talking about only has an info trigger for the house (no travel trigger). The info trigger has no script itself and the area even doesn't even have an area script (in short there isn't any kind of indication in the base game for this).
    Post edited by elminster on
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Looking at your other thread, the mod you installed added areas from Dragon's Eye in Icewind Dale.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/60287/okay-forgotten-realms-junkies-which-gods-symbol-is-this#latest

I'm going to guess that you didn't run modmerge before installing mods on your SoD game. That would explain the odd dialogs.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50441/modmerge-merge-your-steam-gog-zip-based-dlc-into-something-weidu-nearinfinity-dltcep-can-use/p1
    The culprit mod must be Caina here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/34279/bg-ee-mod-caina-fighter-brigand-npc-and-zarra-ranger-archer-npc. It's the only one I have that promises to add new areas.
    I had EE with mods first, then installed SoD on top of that. The mod to blame is probably the Caina NPC Mod.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Don't blame the mod, blame the install order. You need to install SoD *before* installing mods, then run modmerge, then install mods.
    I don't literally blame the mod. Thanks to it I got to do a somewhat pleasurable romp.