2. Action
        0.00%
    3. Real Time with Pause
      91.67%
    4. none, I want a Point and Click
        0.00%

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    This is going to be an awfully biased poll considering you're asking a bunch of BG2 players what their preference is.
  • LordinLordin Member Posts: 30

This is going to be an awfully biased poll considering you're asking a bunch of BG2 players what their preference is.

Hmmm.... maybe your right
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Systems with active pause or turn-based works the best for crpgs that are party-based. Real-time combat works best when you have one character. If you are asking about this, then you may want to think about what kind of crpg you want to make. If you have no concept whatsoever, then it's very bad.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Either way works for me.
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Examples first comes in my mind when I saw poll options.
    1.fallout.
    2.diablo. What is "action" system? :smile:
    3.baldur's gate.
    4.Umm...... dia...blo....?? :* Without mouse I can not play and have to click a large amount.
    So you going to make game then will it pc or mobile phone game? Just curious.
    Teflon said:

Examples first comes in my mind when I saw poll options.
    1.fallout.
    2.diablo. What is "action" system? :smile:
    3.baldur's gate.
    4.Umm...... dia...blo....?? :* Without mouse I can not play and have to click a large amount.
    So you going to make game then will it pc or mobile phone game? Just curious.

An action rpg like zelda or diablo
    And by point and click I mean like kings quest or quest for glory
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    edited July 2016
    As a creator with aeons of experience, I'll tell you one thing: by asking questions such as this you're letting gamedev cancer such as EA win in a walkover. If you want to compete with them, your best bet is to simply do what you strongly believe in, unless you happen to have an army of market researchers akin to the one they command. Make a game you would love to see your great-grandchildren play, not a meh game backed by a few unrepresentative surveys. Know that love is infinitely powerful and basically the closest thing to magic you can legally use on Earth. Enjoy responsibly.

Of course, there is also the possibility that you want to work for some marketing-driven giant like Rovio or King, earn your pension and then die of old age, unknown. In that case, carry on. Though, honestly, if you like tedious work, banking is far more lucrative and thus you can retire earlier to enjoy life at least for a while.
    God said:

As a creator with aeons of experience, I'll tell you one thing: by asking questions such as this you're letting gamedev cancer such as EA win in a walkover. If you want to compete with them, your best bet is to simply do what you strongly believe in, unless you happen to have an army of market researchers akin to the one they command. Make a game you would love to see your great-grandchildren play, not a meh game backed by a few unrepresentative surveys. Know that love is infinitely powerful and basically the closest thing to magic you can legally use on Earth. Enjoy responsibly.

Of course, there is also the possibility that you want to work for some marketing-driven giant like Rovio or King, earn your pension and then die of old age, unknown. In that case, carry on. Though, honestly, if you like tedious work, banking is far more lucrative and thus you can retire earlier to enjoy life at least for a while.

Thanks for the advice @God !
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I think it depends on what you're aiming for (the rest of my post isn't very relevant—sorry!—but I thought it might add a little bit).

I enjoy Skyrim's combat a lot (more than BG's sometimes, as it is less frustrating (note: I almost always play with SCS and creatures with 3 to 5 more levels than vanilla), more action oriented (fun), but more repetitive and less rich).

I also like the system used in League of Legends (it's a MOBA, so no story. All strategy and gameplay. I like it because it is as rich as Baldur's Gate and not as complicated while being more "press buttons fast and move do the thing you think right fast" oriented instead of a fully luck-and-strategy oriented game like Baldur's Gate (big difference tho: League is PvP and Baldur's Gate is Player vs. Scripts). I don't think this system would work in an cRPG but some elements could be borrowed I guess).

And of course, Baldur's Gate's is still great (and I enjoy it immensely) but I don't think it's as fun as pressing buttons like crazy as you have to in League of Legends.

And no combat is good as well. If the game is designed to work well in such way, it definitely will help instead of having bad combat that nobody (well, I actually did, the first time only tho) enjoys (like Ps:T, which is why the game never sold... And if it does sell, it's SURELY not because of it's combat).
    @CrevsDaak What i'm personally aiming for is a game centered around a clan of Vampires Struggling to live as the last of their kind using a modified 3.5 rule set with recruitable party members.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Lordin then I'd go for real time w/pause... Unless you can adapt 3.5 rules to something else and still make as much sense (note: I don't like turn based).

Although given the story of the game I think a gameplay like Skyrim's would be more fitting (in my head, I can't picture fighting AS a Vampire in BG. Sorry. I'm just unable to and I feel like it would be boring, since BG's combat is so good because of spellcasting and classes which I don't imagine on Vampires, and, at least for my conception of Vampires (which is the same as in Bram Stoker's Dracula) they are limited to hitting/biting people to death, or summoning (not by creating them out of nothing like in BG, but by making the nearby ones follow your orders) wolves to fight on their side) but since you want to use 3.5-like rules and are making the game party-oriented, real time with pause is a no-brainer and my best choice.
    CrevsDaak said:

@Lordin then I'd go for real time w/pause... Unless you can adapt 3.5 rules to something else and still make as much sense (note: I don't like turn based).

Although given the story of the game I think a gameplay like Skyrim's would be more fitting (in my head, I can't picture fighting AS a Vampire in BG. Sorry. I'm just unable to and I feel like it would be boring, since BG's combat is so good because of spellcasting and classes which I don't imagine on Vampires, and, at least for my conception of Vampires (which is the same as in Bram Stoker's Dracula) they are limited to hitting/biting people to death, or summoning (not by creating them out of nothing like in BG, but by making the nearby ones follow your orders) wolves to fight on their side) but since you want to use 3.5-like rules and are making the game party-oriented, real time with pause is a no-brainer and my best choice.

@CrevsDaak Thanks for the advice!