Skip to content

All you wanted to know about the next Beamdog's project

Comments

• ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    I can support that theory, because of this interview (at about 1:17:55).
    brus
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    BillyYank said:

I wish they'd make the EEs available on Amazon's app store. I mean it's available for Android, so it shouldn't be that hard, should it?

If you're talking about getting the EE's on a Kindle fire, just follow these instructions:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/

This puts the Google play store on your Fire and you can buy the EE's through there. I've been playing IWDEE on my Fire for months now.
    Just need a USB cable and a PC...guess what I don't have right now?

And while voiding the warranty is all well and good, it'd just be better if they put the EEs on Amazon's app stores, so customers don't have to do stuff like this to buy their games.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

BillyYank said:

I wish they'd make the EEs available on Amazon's app store. I mean it's available for Android, so it shouldn't be that hard, should it?

If you're talking about getting the EE's on a Kindle fire, just follow these instructions:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/

This puts the Google play store on your Fire and you can buy the EE's through there. I've been playing IWDEE on my Fire for months now.

And while voiding the warranty is all well and good, it'd just be better if they put the EEs on Amazon's app stores, so customers don't have to do stuff like this to buy their games.
    It doesn't void the warranty because you're using developer mode and not rooting the device.
    mf2112Purudaya
    BillyYank said:

BillyYank said:

It doesn't void the warranty because you're using developer mode and not rooting the device.
    That is still beside the point because I don't have a PC. I'd rather the games be purchasable from Amazon's app store than have to hack my fire to access google play.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited July 2016

That is still beside the point because I don't have a PC. I'd rather the games be purchasable from Amazon's app store than have to hack my fire to access google play.

I have a question. Why do you assume that it's as easy just plopping the games on the Amazon App Store? There's hardware considerations the Amazon Fire. There's approval processes for the Amazon App Store. There's the fact that, like it or not, very few people use an Amazon Fire compared to Android tablets or iPads. There's testing. There may be thing the Amazon App Store requires of apps in terms of security. Etc. Etc. Etc.

^
    Would be a cool PnP adventure.
    JuliusBorisov
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    ShYarivShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    edited July 2016

I have a question. Why do you assume that it's as easy just plopping the games on the Amazon App Store? There's hardware considerations the Amazon Fire. There's approval processes for the Amazon App Store. There's the fact that, like it or not, very few people use an Amazon Fire compared to Android tablets or iPads. There's testing. There may be thing the Amazon App Store requires of apps in terms of security. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Amazon Fire is basically android OS, and it is apparently easier to get approvals for the Amazon app store than for the Apple app store*. This is why it was pointed out I could just add the Android app store app to my Fire (which I can't do because lacking the PC) and simply purchase Android apps and run them as is on my Fire.

I also read what the guys at Handelabra had to say about porting Sentinels of the Multiverse to different tablets, since they put their android versions of both Sentinels Sidekick and Sentinels of the Multiverse on Amazon's app store.

Why do you care? You're just trying to shout me down and not being remotely constructive. And you don't seem to be paying attention to the discussion or you'd have realized that the Fire is basically an Android.

* Patches and expansions for Sentinels go up on Android and Amazon at roughly the same time, but take longer to go up on Apple.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I wonder if, because of the difficulty they have had with apple, Beamdog might be leery of trying another app store distribution.

Amazon Fire is basically android OS, and it is apparently easier to get approvals for the Amazon app store than for the Apple app store*. This is why it was pointed out I could just add the Android app store app to my Fire (which I can't do because lacking the PC) and simply purchase Android apps and run them as is on my Fire.

All of this is meaningless. Until you've developed a large app (around 3.5GB) and put it on the Amazon app store yourself AND tested it on the Amazon Fire hardware, you have nothing to add to the conversation. "Oh, it's basically Android". And? That doesn't matter. Android is open-source. For all you know, there could be significant difference in Amazon Fire's Android version and the mainline Android. But, hey...what do I know? I only write code for a living on multiple platforms...

Also, you CLEARLY haven't been paying attention. It's not as easy 1-2-3, your app on the Amazon app store. Don't be naive.
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    Icewind Dale or WE ALL DIE!!!
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMageLAZERDOGRodrian
  • DruericDrueric Member Posts: 42
    They need to remake Birthright:Gorgons Alliance. If not beamdogs, someone does! Its a rare hidden gem....
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
  • LAZERDOGLAZERDOG Member Posts: 27
    I'd be ultimately pleased if they created a brand new Infinity Engine game (with its own lore) while also working an Icewind Dale II Enhanced Edition for us to enjoy in the meantime (maybe even with an addon? :smiley: )

To be honest though - as long as they create an isometric crpg with deep character creation they have my full attention ;)
    EscarcheJuliusBorisov
    LAZERDOG said:

To be honest though - as long as they create an isometric crpg with deep character creation they have my full attention ;)

Why does it need to be isometric? Why can't it have 3d character models and architecture like Pillars of Eternity?

ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
  • LAZERDOGLAZERDOG Member Posts: 27
    this ^

Although I actually prefer true isometric games with 3d characters since the areas are planned with the camera angle in mind.

I don't have a problem with games like Sword Coast Legends or Wasteland 2 - the camera worked pretty well in those games. But in Neverwinter Nights 2 for instance the tactical camera never feels right. I'm always urged to rotate the camera and since the key binding for it is way too slow I end up using the middle mouse button which also changes the camera angle - so it's a real hassle! And for areas where I'm lucky and the camera is already looking in the right direction, I tend to miss several things because I don't turn the camera...
    spacejawsButtercheese
    LAZERDOG said:

this ^

Although I actually prefer true isometric games with 3d characters since the areas are planned with the camera angle in mind.

:)

• brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    Will there be used motion capture techniques for the project in the new engine ?
    mf2112Rodrian
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    @Rodrian
    I just want to play a session with Matt Mercer.
    Dream DM, man. Dream DM.
    RodrianNonnahswritercmk24RedRodent
  • RodrianRodrian Member Posts: 426
    @Buttercheese
    I mean, right? RIGHT? :grin:
    Remember when I said "I want to try P&P, but the people. ." ?
    I call that OUT!
    Buttercheese
  • MiridorMiridor Member Posts: 90
    Kinda quiet these days... No rumours, news or anything remotely related to future Projects of B-dog?
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    For one @JuliusBorisov is still on holifay I believe, but Beamdog has been a bit tight-lipped as well in regards to what they're working on (apart from the occasional tweet about getting SoD to iOS and Android, and the screenshots of the CE booklets).
    MiridorlolienJuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

Beamdog has been a bit tight-lipped as well in regards to what they're working on.

Also, because of the changes in the company's staff, Beamdog didn't participate in GenCon this year, and we didn't have new interviews and such.

sparkleavButtercheeselolienEscarche