Skip to content

The guilt I had RE: SCS Kangaxx the lich

johntyljohntyl Member Posts: 397
I just barely survived SCS Kangaxx the demi-lich! The demi-lich version was able to follow me into the streets of the Docks and when I finally (somehow) managed to hide from him, he started slaughtering everyone in the Docks! After I waited out for his protections to fade off and exhausted most of his magic, I confronted him again and fortunately, Anomen's Mace of Disruption 'destroy-undead' ability worked on him and he perished instantly, albeit leaving behind a massacre at the Docks district :'(

How did you guys manage to pull it off? I had to resort to this method as my characters are still quite low level and they don't even have their HLAs yet. What levels are your characters when you decide to confront Kangaxx?
Post edited by johntyl on

Comments

• mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    You can use a protection from undead scroll After he changes to the demilich form and he will stand there. If you use it too early then he can't complete the dialog.
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    AAHAHHAHA that's funny. I didn't know npcs would attack other npcs like that. Honestly if it was more evolved I would have loved to see Kangaxx against the cowled wizards. Would their leaders kill him ?
  • johntyljohntyl Member Posts: 397
    mf2112 said:

You can use a protection from undead scroll After he changes to the demilich form and he will stand there. If you use it too early then he can't complete the dialog.

In SCS, protection from undead doesn't really stop him. He will cast some summons and then cast dispel/remove magic on his own summons who will be chasing you to dispel your protection!
    Arthas said:

AAHAHHAHA that's funny. I didn't know npcs would attack other npcs like that. Honestly if it was more evolved I would have loved to see Kangaxx against the cowled wizards. Would their leaders kill him ?

I think the Cowled wizards will be seriously owned by Kangaxx. I'm not even sure Irenicus would stand a chance against Kangaxx. Hmm.. that will be an interesting battle.
    johntyl said:

mf2112 said:

In SCS, protection from undead doesn't really stop him. He will cast some summons and then cast dispel/remove magic on his own summons who will be chasing you to dispel your protection!
    Yep, forgot you said SCS there.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    johntyl said:

How did you guys manage to pull it off? I had to resort to this method as my characters are still quite low level and they don't even have their HLAs yet. What levels are your characters when you decide to confront Kangaxx?

Shouldn't need HLAs, just good tactics.

Shouldn't need HLAs, just good tactics.

And High level remove-protection spells which my spell-casters don't have, sadly. I'm thinking if I should reload and challenge Kangaxx again, this time HEAD-ON when my characters are higher level. I don't really feel satisfied from this easy-kill, not to mention the poor citizenry of Docks District.
  • ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
    `the poor citizenry of Docks District.`

dodgy lot them like! YOU probably just sent half them to the nine hells....cut down on their gas bills at least!
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    edited June 2016
    I think the Cowled wizards will be seriously owned by Kangaxx.

No. Seeing as Kangaax has been depowered for some time and is still probably recovering from his imprisonment (which is why you were able to defeat him), then SoA's other demilich/cowled wizard would likely very handily destroy him if they met.
  • JustLeftJustLeft Member Posts: 76
    I thought SCS prevented you from leaving the room during fights or is that only to the small rooms at the gate and Watcher's Keep.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    JustLeft said:

I thought SCS prevented you from leaving the room during fights or is that only to the small rooms at the gate and Watcher's Keep.

I'm not too sure. But apparently I can leave the room during my fight with SCS Kangaxx.

It's strange though that when Kangaxx was in his lich form, he didn't follow me up the room. But when he was in his demi-lich form, he could instantly teleport (or rather instantly appear) beside your mainCHAR everytime he/she enters a new room.
    edited June 2016
    Nuin said:

I think the Cowled wizards will be seriously owned by Kangaxx.

No. Seeing as Kangaax has been depowered for some time and is still probably recovering from his imprisonment (which is why you were able to defeat him), then SoA's other demilich/cowled wizard would likely very handily destroy him if they met.
    What about in his demi-lich form?

Now, I'm slightly puzzled. Was Kangaxx stronger in his lich or demi-lich form? Because it looks like he's stronger when he transformed into a demi-lich which is weird because shouldn't demi- mean "Partially; in an inferior degree"?
    Most of those methods mentioned require some high level debuffing spells which my party currently doesn't have access to. So i guess I will reload and postpone my battle with Kangaxx until my party's level is high enough.

The greatest obstacle I had was actually when Kangaxx summoned a Dark Planetar as well as tons of cacofiends. I had to immediately run for my life! :s
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    Of course! With SCS, there're enemies that are hard to beat on lower levels, except for those cases when you know what to expect precisely and "been there done that".
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    Yep. The demilich is basically the end-game of the lich archetype.
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Demilich

There are two in SoA.
    Nuin said:

There are two in SoA.

That sounds really scary. Thanks for the info :)
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    @johntyl: In a computer RPG, a demi-lich is always beatable, because there's no way the AI can be good enough and there will always be exploits. There's no getting around that fact. However, if the DM wants to do a proper job in a PnP system, a demi-lich is close to unbeatable. The difference between a lich and a demi-lich is that big.

I have played PnPs since the late 80s, and I have never even encountered demi-liches. To have any chance, the players need to be at such epic levels that the game loses most of its fun. (This is obviously not a fact, but it is a surprisingly common opinion; essentially, I don't know anyone who disagrees. The game loses much of its appeal somewhere around XP level 17-19, and unless you have a horde of players, you're not going to beat a demi-lich at those levels. But a regular lich becomes beatable a bit earlier than that.)
  • TarlugnTarlugn Member Posts: 208
    Nuin said:

There are two in SoA.

Plz make it so that Holy Smite will work on demi-liches >:)
  • IhatememesIhatememes Member Posts: 29
    If you want to fight him head on, no cheesing you need:
    - Ruby Ray of Reversal ( lvl14 arcane caster ) or scroll.
    - +4 weapons (or Daystar/Mace of Disruption/Melf's minute meteors)
    - Spell Immunity - Abjuration/Berserker Rage/Freedom scroll(s)

If you clear all the available zones/quests in Amn before going to Brynnlaw it's probably doable.
  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    You are going to need a LOT more than that
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    so I suppose SCS makes it so spell can actually affect it? because in vanilla bg2 demiliches are immune to all spells of 9th level and lower, so how does a level 7 spell affect it in SCS?
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    No, demiliches retain their spell immunities in SCS. In fact, the SCS component "spellcasting demiliches" makes them a lot harder than the original version, as they don't just sit there throwing Imprisonment onto your SI:Ab characters.
  • AethernautAethernaut Member Posts: 60
    edited July 2016
    My strategy has always been cheesey.

Basically I use Yoshimo's basic snares stacked about 5-6 at the base of the coffin.

This tends to obliterate the lich form if Yoshimo is about level 16 or so.

But that leaves his skull form which is another matter.

I tend to have a hasted mage wielding staff of Rynn or Haer'Dalis with Daystar using offensive spin to bash the skull form (only +4 and above weapons can hurt him).

Key spell to have cast on this character is spell immunity: abjuration. That way they can't be mazed.

I tend to have a secondary character capable of using Vhailor's helm wearing a ring of the ram standing behind my mage/Haer'Dalis packing and other characters further away using 'the victor' ring.

The Skull only has about 50 hp, so if Haer'Dalis or your Rynn stave wielding mage isn't hitting skull form and doing any damage, this is where your Vhailor helm wearing character comes in.

Basicaly you can use them to cast a simulacrum and then have them both zap the skull for magic damage. If this fails to kill the skull form, your other characters can try zapping it with the victor ring - also doing magic damage, but not as strong as ram ring.

The traps are slightly cheesey, but one thing to bear in mind is the duration of spell immunity: abjuration.

If you can't take the normal lich form out quick enough whilst this is in affect, by the time you get to skull form, the spell may have worn off - in which case, Kangaxx will maze your arse.
    Post edited by Aethernaut on
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    There's a lot you can use for kangy - daystar and the helm of brilliance are particularly helpful for nixing his first form (as in you just blow those two items and his lich form will be off to Palookaville) - but you don't get the helm until ch. 6 so it's mainly a matter of how early you want to go for kang (before or after spellhold).

Otherwise I tend to favor a strategy somewhat similar to Aethernaut. Spell immunity: abjuration (5th level spell) is VERY important - mainly because kang in his skull form can cast imprisonment as much as he wants - and he will cast it on whatever is closest to him - so it's important that you give anybody standing behind the mage who cast the spell immunity a longer range weapon (2h weapons are fine) or they'll sometimes push past your mage and get themselves imprisoned which is no bueno - especially because freedom scrolls are hard to come by - and even then sometimes the NPC will be glitched out post-freedom and not speak to you :(. Then you just have to keep track of time and maybe cast the spell again if you can just to be save further down the road if you're having trouble dealing damage to him as long as your party isn't mostly disabled lol.

• UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    For years I didn't know about "spell immunity, abjuration" but managed to kill Kangaxx anyway.

But I did need the "freedom" spell. He imprisons one/two of the party, you cast freedom, he ends up attacking them but because they aren't recruited, they are immune. Meanwhile you kill him.

Thing is, it took me a while to work out what was actually happening. I just thought there were too many people/summons crowding around.

Dur.............
  • AethernautAethernaut Member Posts: 60
    edited July 2016
    Recently learned that a character with berserk is immune to being mazed/imprisoned. Might have Minsc wail on him next time, or Korgan if I ever get around to playing an evil party.

Recently learned that a character with berserk is immune to being mazed. Might have Minsc wail on him next time, or Korgan if I ever get around to playing an evil party.

Minsc's berserk will protect against Maze but not Imprisonment like Korgan's will.
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    edited July 2016
    The saddest kangaxx fight I ever had was that I did manage to beat both his forms HOWEVER Mazzy and one other character got past imoen (who I had using prot-abjur on) and ended up getting imprisoned - i had purchased freedom scrolls for the occasion however, so I though HEH nbd, I'll just pop them both out with a single spell. So I did. But for whatever reason, Mazzy was glitched out and never would rejoin the party :( I even left and came back later after resting a few times and she was still glitched out and unable to be spoken to - so I had do the whole fight over again :( Though I did consider just telling myself that Mazzy was so deeply affected by the visage of Kangaxx, and also being imprisoned, that she had been forced into a permanent catatonic state :(