Skip to content

Berserker Weapon Questions

So, thanks to this thread, I've been convinced that I should really play through the whole story (well, except SoD, as I do not have that yet,) as a Dwarf, though instead of the suggested Dwarven Defender, I'm going with Berserker for reasons that still escape me. I play lawful characters, almost obsessively. But that's neither here or there.

I'm in the process of starting him up. I got a very nice roll of 87 that had 18/93 Strength (hey, Minsc, wanna wrestle?) but I'm sitting here staring at the weapon pip screen trying to decide what I should go with. I know in the beginning, it's pretty smart to have a wooden weapon you're at least proficient with (well, smart if you're me who has RNG as a mortal enemy,) but at the same time, I kinda don't wanna waste points. Has anyone made a club grand master? I could see one being made as an off-hand, there is that sweet Club of Detonation that could provide a lot of AoE potential. And then focus on axes for the main-hand and throwing weaponry.

Of course, there are two-handed weapons to consider too. Staves aren't too bad, and there is that Staff of the Ram which can do some insane damage. Plus all those other tasty two-handed weapons like the Ravager or the Grief Sword.

What would you have for a suggestion?

Comments

• mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    edited July 2016
    I always like 2-handers there, just the thought of a dwarf spinning around with that huge sword makes me giddy. Ravager would be awesome too!
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    I think a Dwarf going berserk with a halberd would look sort of dumb, but maybe in a fun way.

Don't waste points. Just buy multiple copies of your weapon and rush to get a magical version. There's an Axe +1 for sale in Beregost. Also, remember that katanas, ninja-tos, and wakizashis don't break.

Club of Detonation doesn't offer much as an off-hand weapon. Since only 1 APR will ever come from that weapon, the spot is best reserved for weapons that give bonuses: strength, extra attacks, resistances, etc.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Ah, so look more for passives in the off-hand. Doing some wiki reading gives me the interesting idea of using a bastard sword in the main hand (Foebane, in the end,) and a warhammer in the off-hand (Crom Faeyr) for the 25 Strength, and I can get the Dwarven Thrower for ranged.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I would start with war hammers. There is a magical one early in BG for you to not have to worry about breakage (plus a free non magical one in candlekeep to save that gp) that can last you the entire game.

Crom Faeyr in BG2 is a good end weapon in BG2 that none of the NPCs really make good use of unless you want Aerie or Vic to be a pack mule.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    There is also at least one powerful warhammer in SoD.
  • jesterdesujesterdesu Member Posts: 373
    Axes and dual wield. It gives you a solid melee and ranged option, especially after getting hold of some of the returning axes in bg2.

Axes are also very dwarfish and very berserkey