Skip to content

Cleric/Ranger Multiclass - bad after the nerf?

Before he learned all Arcane spells (Cleric and Druid), but now only learn the Cleric and a few junk Ranger. In practice worth having a pure cleric or ranger pure than this multiclass, now useless.

Bottom line: Now similar cllasses compensate more than this combination! Or am I wrong?
Obs .: Unless I am mistaken or insect plague this multi-class learns more.

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I believe there's an option in your baldur.lua file (found in the same folder as your save files, portraits, screenshots, and sound files) to let ranger/clerics learn all druid spells.

Cleric/Rangers are still strong. Druid spells were just one of many strengths they had.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Psh no, this combo is still awesome. I took a R/C multiclass into SOD. Wading into waves of enemies dual wielding maces with stacked cleric buffs and fighter thaco was a lot of fun. Especially when against my chosen racial enemy.
  • ArcanjoArcanjo Member Posts: 155

I believe there's an option in your baldur.lua file (found in the same folder as your save files, portraits, screenshots, and sound files) to let ranger/clerics learn all druid spells.

Cleric/Rangers are still strong. Druid spells were just one of many strengths they had.

I cite the numerous benefits?
    Racial enemy is something punctual. what else?

I would not use cheater in order to have est option since like to play right. What makes me sad is this Multi-class have been so nerfed.

Ranger only adds to what?
    - Racial enemy: Very punctual
    - Dual Weapon: Payback defense shield for more damage, it is not something really that significant.

What else?
    They aren't hurt that much by losing druid spells. The class combo shines most as a buffed damage dealer. If you want a caster, play a pureclass cleric or druid.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Personally, I do prefer F/C over R/C, for the simple reason that I find the Druid spells pretty much useless, never use Charm Animal ever, and don't care about free pips because I have more than enough proficiency points to spare without access to GM. That leaves me with racial enemy vs. slower leveling, and I make my choice based on that.

However, making the choice is what it all comes down to, in the end - how you weigh the aspects of that choice is your own personal decision. Some people might prefer more flexibility in weapon choice. Some people make extensive use of Charm Animal. Some people like the Druid spells. All totally fine reasons to go R/C if you so desire.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Honestly, I usually prefer F/C over C/R because of shorty saves. I just meant that C/R is far from bad.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    I prefer F/C myself because it's as close to a Paladin as non-humans can get in this edition. And I'm more of a sword-and-board kinda character, so the free pips in dual wielding just doesn't do it for me.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    @subtledoctor I can honestly say I've never used stealth on any R/C in BG2 ever. There's only two scenarios I ever even use stealth on anyone: 1) backstab; and 2) getting dinner to umberhulks. Can't think of any other time I used or wanted to use stealth.

But I suppose it is part of the discussion. Other people may want to use it. Good to mention it in any case.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Arcanjo said:

Before he learned all Arcane spells (Cleric and Druid), but now only learn the Cleric and a few junk Ranger. In practice worth having a pure cleric or ranger pure than this multiclass, now useless.

Bottom line: Now similar cllasses compensate more than this combination! Or am I wrong?
    Obs .: Unless I am mistaken or insect plague this multi-class learns more.

The Ranger/Cleric having access to the full Druid spellbook was a bug. The present behavior is the way it was intended to be.
  • ArcanjoArcanjo Member Posts: 155
    edited July 2016
    The point is that the gain to be this multiclass is now infinitely worse!
    - Racial Enemy is something Spot
    - Ranger hardly learn druid spells, only a low level shit (Considering bg 2)
    - Dual Weapon? Mult F / C you from what I've seen something better than this in aggression!
    - Control animals? This magic is useless, hardly fight or see useful controllable animals (tiger, wolf, lion, ...).

So tell me why would catch R / C to have F / C seems to do the same function and better!
    Entirely subjective
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    RPing benefits. Sometimes that matters.

Plus if there is an enemy type you struggle against (beholders, vampires, dragons...) then it can be useful.

Oh! And it lets you get the ranger stronghold (for the really nice summon item) as well as use the cloak of Montollio (so mainhand and offhand get same Thaco).

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317
    Arcanjo said:

So tell me why would catch R / C to have F / C seems to do the same function and better!

As referred to in posts above it's a question of taste and gameplay style. I normally play a solo character and therefore the availability of stealth to the R/C is a huge benefit, but stealth may be of little benefit in a party.