Skip to content

Are you a Mac or PC user?

cloakanddaggercloakanddagger Member Posts: 111
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
This is not a poll for fanboys. This is to say, "My Primary computer is a MAC" or "My Primary computer is a PC"
Trust me I love Macs, but damn it if I wouldn't love some Alienware or something like that for gaming. I want to see a percentage of the users who use mac and who use PC.
  1. Are you a Mac or PC user?231 votes
    1. Mac
      14.29%
    2. PC
      85.71%

Comments

• SmaugSmaug Member Posts: 216
    Man, that's amazingly accurate. Last I heard Apples accounted for roughly 12% of the computer market share.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    I love Windows AND I'm a professional designer - apparently dat don't make much-a-da sense!

Honestly though, being a designer in any industry does not require you to own a Mac.
    "loool u use Windowz? how do u wurk on dat?"

Not saying I'm anti-Apple, I have an iPhone and love that too, I just like PC games, the flexibility of Windows, building my own PC and also the architecture of Windows and Adobe products on Windows are easier to navigate for me.
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    edited September 2012
    But, aren't Macs PCs?
    inb4: Smart-ass.
  • AnOnionAnOnion Member Posts: 30
    Linux?
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    Anyway, I'm using Win7 right now.
  • mercyfulfate1988mercyfulfate1988 Member Posts: 43

But, aren't Macs PCs?
    inb4: Smart-ass.

Is that like all thumbs are fingers but not all fingers are thumbs?

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I use a MAC but keep a Bootcamp partition basically for games only.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Until about a year and a half ago, I was a Mac user. Then I got hired by a software company, and they paid for me to get a new desktop, so I kitted myself with a high-end gaming rig. That's the one I use now, and it works like a champ.

I like the structuring of Windows better than OS X, and I like that I can sort of figure out how to make it work for me. But I also really enjoyed my iMac when I had it.

I'll say this, though. If it weren't so darn expensive, I'd probably get an iPad and use that instead. (I like being portable.)
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560

No love for dual booters?
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited September 2012
    Brude said:

No love for dual booters?

This.

In my case, both. But I guess I'll vote Mac.

Also, please hold the Mac/Apple contempt remarks. I would like to think this forum is above that shit.
  • HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188
    I am a user of Windows 7 on a PC as I love video games and surfing the web.

However, if I ever go to college and learn to be a graphic designer I would get an iMac and use boot camp to get the best of both worlds.
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    Last Mac I used was the Apple IIe at school. :P
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    My Primary computer is a MacBook Pro. But I also have a Macmini to use as a media centre\occassional gaming Computer (well for stuff that is available on OSX anyway). and an iPad and iPhone. It's hard to say I'm not an apple fanboy, but never having a problem with hardware or software for the past 4 years has been wonderful. I do miss gaming pretty much anything on a computer but for that I have consoles.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2012
    Other than brief periods of helping my grandparents with their laptop, the last Mac I used for gaming or work was one of those coloured desktops (G3's) apple produced like ten + years ago. I have fond memories of grabbing the one computer at my school which had Nanosaur on it. Fond memories of not taking grade 5 computer class seriously, though I'll stick with a PC.
  • LekianLekian Member Posts: 108
    I have never owned a Mac although would not mind at all, my brother has all the collection MacPro, Mac Laptop, Ipad, Iphone,... Just have not got the cash for one top end range.

I am very happy with my PC and I have no problems with it. I may occasionally have a crash (cannot remember the last time it actually did) but it is a fairly stable PC. Bought it over 4 years ago and still running very good, I will keep my fingers crossed.

I chose all of the components I wanted and needed and built it up myself, which is always nice.

I was thinking of getting a higher end PC some months ago but when I heard about BGEE and BGEE2 I thought well why? I will be using it at least until the end of 2013!!
  • ToxicToxic Member Posts: 30
    Performance wise maybe I would go with Mac but PC just wins for me at the end of the day due to the simple fact that 99% of pcs games are not MAC compatible. :S
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I would have all Mac if I could afford it. But I can have a powerful rig built for me by my local ma 'n pa computer shop for a mere fraction of the what a Mac desktop would cost. The guy will match the Tiger Direct prices (or beat them) for CPU, motherboard, and video card that are the best bang for the buck. And I like Windows 7, actually. When a computer part needs replacement I save money there as well. I'm very happy with what I have, including a PC for the big TV in the living room. (Apple TV would be great, but I'm waiting for a competitor to match it via Windows.)
  • georgelappiesgeorgelappies Member Posts: 179
    Linux all the way
  • MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    Pc, I cannot get used to the mac and prefer the better spec for price. The macs do look great though, but dont judge a macbook by its cover.
  • RisingsunRisingsun Member Posts: 99
    I would have been interested to see how many people on these boards would identify themselves as tablet users. I guess I want to see a poll in the future, what platform are you getting BGEE on. Windows, Mac, iPad, Andriod, and them combinations of various platforms like Mac/iPad, Windows, Andriod.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    I'm an adult. I need a real computer.
  • I'm a mac eater though, if that counts.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    It should have been:

Are you a PC or Mac user?
    PC
    Mac

:)
    What do Mac users do when a part gives out? Are Mac components proprietary? Do they then cost full retail?

Or do you just plan on upgrading your Mac product every few years?

That's got to get really expensive.

I mean I love my iPhone, and I do plan to eventually get an iPad. But I would think that it must get expensive to go with Mac for a desktop. And ergonomically, I still prefer sitting down at a desk in a comfortable chair with a surround sound system, and monitor that is a good size, using a mouse. At least for work related things and gaming.
  • RisingsunRisingsun Member Posts: 99
    @lemernis I just go to the apple store and get it fixed. Often times the repair is free or really cheap and the turn around time is pretty fast.

I know some people like to upgrade yearly, but one of the reasons I buy Macs is cause of the build quality. I have been using my current iMac since 2007 and it's still fast and runs great. in the 6 years since i have had an iMac. I have only had to have it serviced once.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited September 2012
    Lemernis said:

What do Mac users do when a part gives out? Are Mac components proprietary? Do they then cost full retail?

Or do you just plan on upgrading your Mac product every few years?

That's got to get really expensive.

Parts don't give out.

On the rare, rare occasion that they do, it is usually a manufacture defect that the Apple Store supplies for free. Or really cheap. As @Risingsun said.

Also as he said, you rarely have to replace them for any reason other than "okay this computer is getting pretty old and it's technologically kind of pathetic now, I want a new computer." We still have an eMac from 2004 around the house collecting dust that is in full working condition, and an iMac G3 from 1998 (what we first played BG1 on!) that has the same story.

My family are total Mac fanboys ... I'm actually the least that way out of all of them, believe it or not. I run Boot Camp on my computer because Windows certainly has its uses, and it is a far more customizable operating system. As a computer science major, of course I want something I can tinker with. Overall I would say Macs are fantastic for people who want a computer that just works and does most everything well (except games, they've gotten better there but still). But for those who want a system that they can tinker and mess with, a Windows PC is totally the way to go.
    Sceptenar said:

I'm an adult. I need a real computer.

Yes, adults certainly act as mature as you.
    @RisingSun and @Quartz

Okay, that's good to know. I just remember that with Dell back in the day, if I wanted a new desktop computer I had to shell out about $2500 for the type of rig I wanted. And when I wanted a new video card or whatnot it got rather costly. I.e., because everything was proprietary. Dell sized their parts to fit their cases.

Having my desktops custom built I can put together a kickass rig for around $700-900. Or actually I just upgrade various components every few years for a few hundred bucks.

Well, anyway, for a tablet I'll certainly get an iPad. I'm not sold yet on Mac for desktop, though.