Skip to content

What are the most overpowered characters that you have made?

GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
Icewind Dale has so many amazing weapons and armor, along with enough XP to go around, that dangerously overpowered characters can be made. Especially as the game lacks enough mages to really counter cheesier strategies. Below is the most OP character I've ever made.

Eltharion
Fighter/Mage/Thief
Str (18/00) Dex (21 with items) Con (17) Int (18) Wis (8) Cha (9)
AC: -15
Thaco: -9/-7
Dmg: 13-20/13-20
Attacks: 5 per round, 10 with improved haste
Backstab: x5, thief skills all maxed out (with move silently and hide in shadows both at 220)
Resistances: Slashing (30%), Cold (20%), Crushing (5%)

Why OP: The game has absolutely 0 counters to someone who can cast mind blank (24 hour duration immune to charm, maze, feeblemind, confusion, fear, intoxication, hold and petrification), spell immunity, stone skin and improved haste. The game also can't do jack against time stop. You reach the point where casting tenser's transformation to jump from 136->272 HPs just isn't needed.

Claim to fame: Defeating Icasaracht with two time stops, improved haste, and 2x long swords of action+4. It's a mixture of a let down and excitement to see the final boss go down in 6 rounds without losing a single HP.

------

(2)

The only other time I have felt that anything was OP was with a dwarven defender. Hard difficulty with the extra xp allowed. Reached lvl 20, which got him the 20% physical resistance. The glory of suffering +6 pushed that up to 30%. Great Shield made all physical resistances 45%. Clasp of Bron's Cloak turned it into 50%. And defensive stance made all physical resistances 100%.

Completely OP. Enemies do double damage? Well they now do normal damage against the party tank. And if there is ever a fight that might be deadly, just drop defensive stance and he becomes immune to everything that the game could throw at him.

Yes, it was stupidly easy as the enemies weren't smart enough to walk around the dwarf to attack his much more squishy friends.

So those are my two forays into 'damn...' territory. Anyone else want to share?
ThacoBellbruslolieninethdockaboomskisemiticgoddessMaarudJuliusBorisov

Comments

• lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Alveus Malcanter. He was just a level 1 mage, but used the necklace of magic missiles. Undead or orc horde? Just POOF, look, they are ash now!

It's a shame however that IWD lacks a good fire or cloudkill wand.
    GrumNonnahswriterJuliusBorisov
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Definitely a Fighter/Mage.
    GrumlolienJuliusBorisov
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    One time I made a fighter/thief that was supposed to be a Coran/Kivan crossbreed of madness, he was lots of fun. Messenger of Sseth with his 20 or so dex (used items) and the str and all the attacks was crazy. I was playing vanilla and ran out of arrows constantly.
    GrumlolienJuliusBorisov
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Priest of Lathander 29/Mage 30. Easiest HoF mode solo character. Only weakness is to dispels but spell immunity helps with that.
    GrumlolienJuliusBorisov
  • RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621
    Crispin Moonshadow. Elf Archer. Archers are overpowered in IWD and BG1.
    GrumJuliusBorisov
  • ChidojuanChidojuan Member Posts: 211
    I was really surprised by how powerful a Fighter/Druid is. Nature's beauty is a ridiculous spell as it is, but to have a fighter with a +5 club wallop the blinded enemies immediately after casting is pretty amazing.
    lolienJuliusBorisov
    No reason for a multi fighter/Druid.
    Better options:
    Berserker 3 -> Druid (negligible down time, superior to multi due to GM implementation)
    Berserker 7 -> Druid (noticeable but easily manageable down time)
    Kensei 9 -> Druid (my favourite Druid for power levels, Druid spells overcome kensei weaknesses nicely)
    Avenger (excellent caster)
    Shapeshifter (probably about as strong a fighter while shifted as a multi without the slower level progression especially with available Druid weapons in iwdee)
    Totemic Druid (excellent summoner)

The slow level progression of the multi really kills the class as the power curve of a Druid is so strong in iwdee. Definitely give a pure or dual class a go to feel the awesomeness!
    GodJuliusBorisovFenghoang
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Rawgrim said:

Crispin Moonshadow. Elf Archer. Archers are overpowered in IWD and BG1.

True...but I always seem to run out of arrows with them...
  • MaarudMaarud Member Posts: 13
    I haven't touched the first Icewind Dale since early 2000's and only recently got into EE edition, but man, the triple class characters seems completely OP. I play on Insane with XP progression on, so that may be the crucial factor here, but among my fairly standard party (undead hunter, cleric/fighter, archer, bard) the fighter/mage/thief is so far the most powerful (and unstoppable) force, despite being relatively low level.

I am now several hours into Trials of the Luremaster and very few enemies can even scratch him with stoneskin, mirror image + cleric and bard buffs on. When I made him I decided to go with a shield, but now I think I may had as well opt for dual wield, as there is hardly any need for that extra protection.

That being said, it's my first playthrough with the ID that I got that far, maybe in HoW or further down the ToL there will be folks that will make me use at least some non-standard strategies with this f/m/t fellow ;)
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    'Twas a star elf Selu'taar specializing in divination magics, with a few extra levels of Barbarian. Could use the Heartstone Gem better than Larrel and waged tribal war on Wylfdene without consulting any old crones. Icasaracht was not amused when an army of elf warrior-maidens in non-realistic armour gated in from Feywild and cut her barbaric lackeys to tiny bits in the blink of an eye. In the end, he used an elven high magic ritual augmented with the powers of Crenshinibon to actually merge Ilmater and Belhifet into one, for the lols.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100

Any sort of level 30 druid is extremely powerful in Icewind Dale. Their water elemental shapeshifting ability gives them 75% resistance to all physical damage, and if they cast Armor of Faith beforehand, they will have 110% physical damage resistance and a bunch of other resistances. In outside areas they can use Call Lightning to tear enemies apart like no other character can; at level 30, Call Lightning deals 32d8 damage per round, for 11 rounds. Yikes.

Damn. Now I want to do a playthrough with two druids. A totemic and an avenger. Just to see what happens when you end up with 2 lvl 30 druids...
    lolieninethOlvynChuru
  • who_is_danielwho_is_daniel Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 98
    Grum said:

Any sort of level 30 druid is extremely powerful in Icewind Dale. Their water elemental shapeshifting ability gives them 75% resistance to all physical damage, and if they cast Armor of Faith beforehand, they will have 110% physical damage resistance and a bunch of other resistances. In outside areas they can use Call Lightning to tear enemies apart like no other character can; at level 30, Call Lightning deals 32d8 damage per round, for 11 rounds. Yikes.

Damn. Now I want to do a playthrough with two druids. A totemic and an avenger. Just to see what happens when you end up with 2 lvl 30 druids...
    I thought it went off once every TURN...I hits once a round for you?

Grum said:

Pretty sure it's one/round in iwdee. Druids are really very fun.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075

Grum said:

Static Charge goes off once per turn, but Call Lightning goes off once per round, to make up for the fact that there are barely any outside areas with a significant number of combat encounters in Icewind Dale (though there are several such areas in Heart of Winter). However, since enemies in IWD:EE can move between areas, you can flee from them to an outside area and they will follow you, at which point you can obliterate them with Call Lightning.
    SkatansemiticgoddessJuliusBorisov
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    They were a kensai/mage and a modded fighter-archer/ mage , but I'll tell you what: having all the spells in the world AND negative thac0 makes late game incredibly boring.

• Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Grum said:

True...but I always seem to run out of arrows with them...

My last runthrough with IWD, I wouldn't go into Dragon's Eye without at least 800 arrows in reserve. I think I still ran out before I was done.
    Grum
  • ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
    edited August 2016
    yeah FMT for me too.

black blade of disaster! ho!!!

archer was very useful for reducing massed ranks of mobs, but felt boring compared tot he FMT.

FMC is ok, but lvls a bit slow to feel ubber.

(also can kit the fmt to assain if our conscience allows....)
  • acolyteacolyte Member Posts: 36
    The skald gets my vote for this one because she is powerful right from the start if you've a full party. Cast a bunch of summons, haste them and watch them take out the enemy almost without the rest of the party. Even in the late game, she is nice to have as mislead lets her become a backup mage while still singing.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited September 2016
    Here's one of my more overpowered characters: a Kensai/Swashbuckler who can use any item.

semiticgoddesslolien

Here's one of my more overpowered characters: a Kensai/Swashbuckler who can use any item.

2 kits AND HLAs? Certainly super powered, also very far from legit.
    semiticgoddessPK2748Daevelon
  • ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
    `she is nice to have as mislead lets her become a backup mage while still singing.`

that would work for all bards then?

`she is nice to have as mislead lets her become a backup mage while still singing.`

that would work for all bards then?

Yes, your image can sing while your bard is permanently invisible casting spells up to 8th level (so a simulacrum could sing another song on a vanilla bard with multiple songs - 3 songs in total!).

There's only 1 Mislead scroll in the game though in HoW.