Skip to content

When did you have begun to play those games?

gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
When did you have begun to play those games?
  1. When did you have begun to play those games?77 votes
    1. 1- At the very beginning (Like I started before the creation of SoA or the creation of its expansion).
      66.23%
    2. 2- Long time before EE (like when Tactics was THE mod).
      25.97%
    3. 3- Few years or months before the EE era.
        1.30%
    4. 4- I started after EE, but on an original version.
        0.00%
    5. 5- I started with EE.
        5.19%
    6. 6- This year (not EE users please vote the option number 4)
        1.30%
    7. 7- I don't play them for now, i just enjoy reading the boards or I read them because I plan to buy the games.
        0.00%

Comments

• Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    I'm probably on the cusp between 2 and 3, starting in 2008 or so.
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    I’m not sure what “when Tactics was THE mod” means exactly, as I never played that one, but I started first with BGII SoA, shortly after it came out, then played BG. And of course have been playing them ever since. :)
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited August 2016

I’m not sure what “when Tactics was THE mod” means exactly, as I never played that one.

It means that at the very beginning there where some early modders.
    Then Weimer come into the scene, coded Weidu, and made that big collage of pre existing mods and material written by him that is the Tactics mod. That become the standard for those who was not playing vanilla. If you read the boards active at that time you see that almost everyone that was not playing vanilla had Weimer's mods installed, Tactics and Item Upgrade.

Edit
    With THE mod I don't give a quality related judgment.
    In the recent years SCS was THE mod, scroll back this board and read the topics of an year ago, most of the players was playing it or playing vanilla. Other really good ones like IR and SR had never become so, but just because there where, and there are less players using them. And IA never become THE mod.
    In the future maybe LOB will become THE mod, even if is not a mod.
    I hope that now is more clear.

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Why does everything pre-Throne of Bhaal get lumped into one category?

Why does everything pre-Throne of Bhaal get lumped into one category?

OP choice :smiley:
    I am joking.
    The criterion that I have used can be seen as players that began when the games where new, few years after, in more recent times, in the EE era and recently, adding a couple of special categories.
    I could have done differently, creating more choices for the very early players, it would have been a good idea, but as it is not possible to add options to an existing poll we have to take it like it is.
    Anyway if someone want he can tell more about his personal story in a post, like is happening right now.
    I started between 2000 and 2002, I don't remember exactly.
    I did spent some days at a friend's home, about 200 Km (125 Mi) far from mine and his foster son was playing SoA. I was amazed. Consider that I had almost no gaming experience, having played just some games on an 8bit computer something like 20 years before, Pac Man and stuff like that. And was only 1 year that I had my first computer, a second-hand one running Win97.
    When a couple of months after we met again his son was bored to play the game and have given me the 4 CDs, but he had lost the manual. The adventure begun!
    Living in a digital divide place I didn't have an internet connection so I did not even imagine that there were gamer's boards.
    After the first intense year of vanilla SoA I slowed down, making maybe a couple of runs each year.
    Then in 2006 I managed to have a connection, but I dedicated my surfing time to other interests, mainly music and woodworking. Some years after that one day by accident I discovered what was going on. WHAT???? There is a BG1, and an expansion, and mods, and even a community? GREAT!
    The whole thing suddenly took a different proportion, even if I have not become member of any gamer's forums. Until the beginning of the present year when I joined in those boards. To talk to people of whom I read the posts from at least a couple of years, to share opinions with them, was fantastic.
    That is my story.
  • BaldurspawnBaldurspawn Member Posts: 66
    Played for the first time 2003 or something but was overwhelmed and stopped pretty soon (was my first computer rpg, before that I only played final fantasy and pokemon xD )
    And then I really started to play with 16 (2007/8) and, while I didn't play all year long, I played it nearly every year.
    Though I played bg1 for the first time in 2010 ^^

I don't remember having to deal with the 2,999,995 xp limit

I had, what a sad surprise. As I told before I had no manual and no internet, my first run was TOTALLY unspoiled. And I sow those magic supercool 8 lev scrolls.
    Wow, next time a mage! he did not gather enough XP. Other party, of five members, this time he will reach the needed level.
    Hit the level cap..... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :smiley:

• GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    And rolling back the years, BG was the follow-up to the Eye of the Beholder series, which was in turn the followup to the Gold Box series - oh, the joys of 1st Edition, rendered in EGA...
    edited August 2016
    But the first CRPG's were
    http://torinak.com/qaop#!midnight
    and
    http://torinak.com/qaop#!hobbit
    Who is younger then 40-50 should give them a try....
    As i skipped from them directly to SoA only knowing how they was can help to understand how I was astonished seeing that awesome game.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    I got them on a big steam sale some time last year. I think I only spent about $30 for BGEE, BG2EE and IWDEE.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

But the first CRPG's were
    http://torinak.com/qaop#!midnight
    and
    http://torinak.com/qaop#!hobbit
    As i skipped from them directly to SoA only knowing how they was can help to understand how I was astonished seeing that awesome game.

What? :astonished: Those games are from 1984 and 1982, respectively. Wizardry and Ultima both came out in 1981. There were also mainframe CRPGs like dungeon and dnd around in the mid-70s.
    Sorry, I didn't know. :blush:
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    You are missing a decade of adventure games at least, with the classic Scott Adams adventures being the series I was familiar with, and Infocom doing great this to go beyond the simple verb noun parser.

That said, The Hobbit was a crazy amount of game packed into the computers of the day, with a real Inglish parser trying to understand full sentences, multiple computer characters wandering the game pursing their own agendas, and a graphical rendering of many locations. How that fit into 48k is a truly amazing feat of software engineering, and the sad thing is, the woman that wrote the game (on contract as a grad student) had no idea how revolutionary this was, and vanished to become an almost anonymous IBM drone. Yet another pioneering role model lost to the industry :(

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/18/hobbit_author_veronika_megler_reminisces

Lords of Midnight was an amazingly vast game for the era, but I would not call it an adventure, nor its more involved sequel, Doomdark's Revenge. It was a lot of fun though, back in the day. Never did manage to beat it, although most games came close...

That might be an interesting experience, along with the Infocom Hitchhiker Guide to the Galaxy adventure (now playable online with graphics as well as text!) but I don't think the wonder of the era can be captured at this point. The games look primitive because they are - they fit into the cache memory of a single CPU core on any modern machine, 4 or 5 times over!
  • ZilberZilber Member Posts: 253
    I had to wait for its release. Spent quite a bit of time on the forums.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    And at the very beginning, I did have begun to play those games.
    And there was much rejoicing.
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    I played Fallout and Fallout 2 in '98, played Baldur's Gate and TotSC in '99, Planescape: Torment and SoA in 2000 and ToB in 2001. In both Fallout and BG's case I played them the year after they came out, then religiously bought the new games and expansions as they came out, and I got Planescape: Torment with Christmas money because by then I knew Black Isle was a company whose releases you simply do not miss (I pre-ordered Lionheart at my local game store before I received news they were folding, so the blow of their closure was somewhat softened by a really fantastic alternate history game that honestly deserved expansions and sequels of its own).

Also followed Troika's games in those days, seeing as I loved the original Fallout and some of that team went on to form them, and actually I'd played Arcanum, The Temple of Elemental Evil and VtM Bloodlines before I got around to picking up Icewind Dale, and I picked them both up at the same time, and had meant to play them back to back...but stuff in my life got in the way and I actually never ended up playing the second one (and then lost the unopened and sealed game box in a move)!
  • glenpglenp Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 23
    Played the Ultima series along with Pool of Radiance and Curse of the Azure Bonds before I discovered BG + TOSC. After that no other games have even came close to giving me the enjoyment that BG and the other IE games have.
  • JiveOneJiveOne Member Posts: 43
    Discovered Baldur's Gate from a mid/late 90's magazine article about the upcoming "RPG renaissance" which also included M&M6, Fallout, and other RPG's. At the time I had played a few of the SSI D&D games so Baldur's Gate was super exciting since the scope was so big. Bought it the day it came out from Best Buy and it's been my favorite series ever since.

Anyone remember the tarrasque they had on the official website as a joke under the "monsters" section?
  • MandragoraMandragora Member Posts: 79

I was 11 years old when my parents bought the first home PC. After I had played games like Age of Empires I, Dungeon Keeper and Diablo I, I was shown Might and Magic VI, which I loved from the first glance. All of that led me to understanding I liked games called "RPGs".

I then went to a market not far away from home (you now, in Russia of those years almost everything was sold at markets, not shops) and asked a seller of computer disks which RPG he could advice. I had no Internet then, so researching was not possible for me (and computer games magazines were expensive).

So, huge props to that fella - he took a box with lots of CDs inside and said: "Look, this has been released recently, and has a russian translation, this is a proper game, a big game, a good game". The cover said "Shadows of Amn".

I also got mine in similar place, because i'm from Lithuania. Also started from SoA, there were 8 discs, pirated, cracked versions :smiley: you couldnt get original, like, from Canada at that time. These discs were fragile, they would break after some time, so i actually bought Shadows of Amn two times, and there were no virtual disc programs at that time, so you had to use cd-rom every single time :smiley:
    Might and magic VI and VIII are my favourites, about a month ago i planned to get them in gog.com just dont have the time to play atm
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I think BG2 had been out for a few years already when I got it.