Skip to content

No Man's Sky

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
edited August 2016 in Off-Topic
Seems to be in the press a lot. I'm curious if anyone here has tried it out (I haven't) and what their thoughts were.
GenderNihilismGirdle

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    It's not released yet, is it?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2016
    Its out for PS4 (PC version comes in 2 days)
    FinneousPJKamigoroshiGenderNihilismGirdle
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Looks interesting. I mean, how could an entire universe set in a true open world setting be not interesting? Just imagine all the hiking one could do on each and every planet! :P
    I'm liking the explorer solo aspect a great deal. But the player vs. player interstellar dogfights I could live without.

However the pricetag halts me from purchasing it. Same reason as to why I still need to purchase The Witcher 3 with all its add-ons: still on a lookout for a big GOG sales for both titles.
    GenderNihilismGirdle
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by lefreut on
    FinneousPJGenderNihilismGirdle
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Giving it a miss, despite all the hype. Open world stuff just doesn't hold my attention, I need a strong plot to keep me interested. And I hate PvP.
    edited November 2019
    lefreut said:

Fardragon said:

And I hate PvP.

The game is mostly a solo game.
    Kind of reminded me of spore. Still cool.
  • former_customerformer_customer Member Posts: 111
    I've been nonplussed by the description of the game from the beginning. I hope it turns out to be more interesting than it seems to me, bit I just can't imagine becoming engrossed in it.
    elminster
  • sparkleavsparkleav Member Posts: 871
    I'm planning on getting it for PC but I'm waiting a while
    elminster
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I find the concept fascinating, but I haven't picked it up yet.
    elminster
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    My pre-ordered GOG copy will be in my hot little hard drive tomorrow! I'M PUMPED
    elminstersparkleav
    edited November 2019
    FinneousPJGenderNihilismGirdle
    edited August 2016
    My first planet was radioactive. So I started with a ton of plutonium and iron and (besides some carbon from plants/animals) not much else :)
    lefreutFinneousPJGenderNihilismGirdle
    edited November 2019
    KamigoroshiFinneousPJGenderNihilismGirdle
    lefreut said:

I don't know if it's luck but I get some creatures in my first planet:

I can't decide whenever this is a new pokemon or Demogorgon's illegitimate child. ("o_O )
    FinneousPJGenderNihilismGirdleCrevsDaak
    I'm waitin' on their next patch to re-install and try again, I tried all the things suggested on their blog and on the reddit post relevant to these issues and NADA! I'm patient tho, I've waited a long time for this game I can wait another week or w/e it takes for them to patch it so I can get past the Hello Games logo.
    CrevsDaak
    edited November 2019
    GenderNihilismGirdle
    edited November 2019
    FinneousPJelminsterGenderNihilismGirdle
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    My cousin actually called me about it today, he said only 2 players have actually run into each other in that game. Honestly, I'm calling bs, unless each world is on a sperate server and there are countless servers and an extremely small group playing, I find it hard to believe that the game is so big that it is almost impossible to run into someone else.
    edited November 2019
    FinneousPJGreenWarlockGenderNihilismGirdle
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
    GenderNihilismGirdle
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I'm waiting a little on this one. From the game description I'll either find it the most fascinating game ever or be bored to death. So I'll let the inevitable server overload on launch week and launch bugs be solved before I decide :)
    GenderNihilismGirdle
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    I've looked at the game, I'm intrigued but also doubtful. So these planets are randomly generated, exactly on what level? Are they constantly changing with new models, or are a lot o them just the same model retextured/resized/so on?
    From what I understand the game's database generates each planet from a stock template and randomly modifies creature models accordingly to enviromental variables. So Planet Burritto will have Animal X that somewhat resembles Animal Y from Planet Cheesburger. But with the head of Animal Z that is endemic to Planet Parfait. And so on.

What I don't know however is if all planets and moons with life on them are Earth-like. Personally I'd find that a couple of water worlds without continents, or gas giants with purely aerial lifeforms would be needed to keep things interesting. The more exotic the places to visit are, the better IMHO.
    GenderNihilismGirdle
    edited November 2019
    GenderNihilismGirdle
    Got it working yesterday finally! Loving it so far, ever since that first E3 trailer I've been so thirsty for a wandering, ambling ecology simulator with spaceflight that I know I'm going to be drowning in this game for a long time coming...when they add base building I might not come up for air.
    mlnevese