Skip to content

is Never Winter Nights Good?

XeroshiXeroshi Member Posts: 182
I was looking around the GOG.com store and i saw that Neverwinter Nights was for 9.99 so i was wondering if it is worth it or not (it comes with all expansions)

Comments

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I had a lot of fun online multiplayer worlds. Not so much the single player campaigns yet MOTB was supposed to be good.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

I had a lot of fun online multiplayer worlds. Not so much the single player campaigns yet MOTB was supposed to be good.

MoTB was one of the neverwinter nights 2 expansions, I want to assume that it's never winter nights 1 xeroshi is talking about

and I would say go for, for only 10 bucks, you get a decent playing experience for probably around 50 hours or so ( maybe more because you are not familiar with the game) and then drag characters over to the other expansions and continue playing,

I think 10 bucks is a fair price for the whole pack

the_spyderThacoBell

Yeah never got into NWN2 but yeah NWN1 online was fun
    sarevok57
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Yeah it is great
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited August 2016
    The OC of NwN1 was terribly boring for me. I don't think that in all these years I've managed two complete playthroughs of it. However I believe its expanion packs make it worth to purchase. Everyone praises Hordes of the Underdark for its well written plot and Gelatinous Cubes! Although my personal favourite still remains Shadows of Undrentide that managed to show quite exotic places of the Anauroch, amongst other locations.

If you're looking for community created mods, modules, or persistent worlds with living multiplayer servers. This is your game. There are seemingly thousands of things fans created for this game.
    AerakarmashedtatersThacoBell
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited August 2016
    Xeroshi said:

I was looking around the GOG.com store and i saw that Neverwinter Nights was for 9.99 so i was wondering if it is worth it or not (it comes with all expansions)

If you see Neverwinter Nights as a continuation of the Baldur's Gate games, then no. Neverwinter Nights is terrible.
    If you see it as a game that enables you to make your own adventures, play hundreds of others' adventurers and play online for actual roleplaying, then yes, Neverwinter Nights is amazing.

Though Hordes of the Underdark is pretty fun in general. It's the highlight of the official campaigns.

Same goes for Neverwinter Nights 2. Only with much more stuff in it.
    Ton of modules and online worlds that are still full to this day, after a decade it was released (2006).

Also Mask of the Betrayer is the highlight of the expansions. But in general, the NwN2 campaigns are superior to the NwN1 campaigns.

TL;DR: Don't pick NwN1 for the story or the NPCs, pick it for the tons of quality modules and PWs.
    smeagolheartThacoBell
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,015
    I really enjoyed Shadows of Undrentide. It was much better than the original Neverwinter Nights campaign, which I also quickly tired of as others have mentioned. I also enjoyed Hordes of the Underdark, especially as it was a continuation of Undrentide. I played both numerous times. I have never played NWN2.

On the modded content, this is what made NWN special. There was a lot of great content available, especially for low to mid level characters. For me though the pinnacle of NWN was not the official campaigns even, but instead the Aeilund series, which allowed you to progress from a 1st level character all the way to level 40 by the end. It took hours and hours to play this and was released over the years in various installments. I think it was an outstanding fan-created series and better than the official content.

A link is here to the homepage:

http://stephenlnowland.com.au/savant/act1.html
    FinneousPJKamigoroshiPapa_Lou
  • FreyaFreya Member Posts: 28
    YES

Love NWN.
    Archaos
    I prefer the 3E implementation and character possibilities of NWN over the 2E in Baldur's Gate.
    for the never winter nights series, I would say that storm of zehir expansion for nwn 2 has to be my favourite, I've always been a fan of the create your own party gig, so that was a nice bonus, plus the item creation in storm of zehir, holy crap is it nice, I found the other nwn2 game/expansion way too much hassle/effort in making magical items, but for me storm of zehir does it beautifully, plus the trading system is pretty neat as well, it took me a little time to figure it out in the beginning but once I did, I thought it was a neat mechanic
    Kurona
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    sarevok57 said:

for the never winter nights series, I would say that storm of zehir expansion for nwn 2 has to be my favourite,

...I'll bear your children
    sarevok57ArchaosGod
    Kurona said:

sarevok57 said:

for the never winter nights series, I would say that storm of zehir expansion for nwn 2 has to be my favourite,

...I'll bear your children
    hahahahahaha never heard that one before *give a high 5*

• ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited August 2016
    Also, something to note.
    It's not "Never Winter". It's Neverwinter, like the City of Neverwinter that is above Waterdeep and below Luskan, on the Sword Coast.

Too many people make this mistake on many forums, it seems.
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Neverwinter
    sarevok57
    Archaos said:

Also, something to note.
    It's not "Never Winter". It's Neverwinter, like the City of Neverwinter that is above Waterdeep and below Luskan, on the Sword Coast.

Too many people make this mistake on many forums, it seems.
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Neverwinter

How can it be Neverwinter when Winter Is Coming?
    sarevok57Aerakarmashedtaters
  • LiluraLilura Member Posts: 148
    I have recently posted beginner guides on how to mod both NWN and NWN2.

How to Mod NWN
    How to Mod NWN2

(and yes, NWN is definitely worth it for Hordes of the Underdark and its many great mods (e.g, Aielund Saga & Swordflight)! NWN2 is good for its official campaigns - especially MotB.)

These are covered on my blog, which is 80% about NWN and 20% Baldur's Gate.

Enjoy!
    BelleSorciereAerakarShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    Skatan said:

the strenght lies in the expansions and with mods (as always).

What mods have you played?
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Lilura said:

Skatan said:

the strenght lies in the expansions and with mods (as always).

What mods have you played?
    It was a long time ago, long before nexusmods, and I don't remember names of any mods anymore. I played quite a few player-made maps and quests, even some my friend made, but I never really modded the core rules much. I did enjoy goofing around with the toolset myself from time to time, but never created anything worth mentioning :P
    Lilura
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Lilura said:

I have recently posted beginner guides on how to mod both NWN and NWN2.

How to Mod NWN
    How to Mod NWN2

(and yes, NWN is definitely worth it for Hordes of the Underdark and its many great mods (e.g, Aielund Saga & Swordflight)! NWN2 is good for its official campaigns - especially MotB.)

These are covered on my blog, which is 80% about NWN and 20% Baldur's Gate.

Enjoy!

Your blog is awesome. Thanks for linking it. :)
    AerakarLilura
    Thanks, BelleSorciere.

The NWN community is so friendly, talented and selfless.. plus, self-promotion is not the style of the builders.. which is why I go out of my way to commentate and catalogue their efforts.

I'm currently taking a break from NWN to showcase Baldur's Gate 2 in ridiculous detail. I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew with this one..!
    FreyaBelleSorciere
  • magaritymagarity Member Posts: 51
    How can it be Neverwinter when Winter Is Coming?
    It's like the Shrodinger's cat. Until you know winter actually shows up, it's never winter.
    sarevok57Teflon
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    One word. Deekin.

I played NWN to death. All campaigns. Starting with SoU, then the NWN OC, then HotU. Then the other campaigns... You get to ride horses!

I prefer BG though. The 3D is cool, but not as artistic as the isometric view.
    sarevok57AerakarThacoBell
  • FreyaFreya Member Posts: 28
    Lilura said:

Thanks, BelleSorciere.

The NWN community is so friendly, talented and selfless.. plus, self-promotion is not the style of the builders.. which is why I go out of my way to commentate and catalogue their efforts.

I'm currently taking a break from NWN to showcase Baldur's Gate 2 in ridiculous detail. I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew with this one..!

I remember really enjoying the NWN community now that you mention it, I remember being excited to go NWN vault and stuff to see mods or to try them out.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    NWN's excellent Aurora Engine was built from the ground up to accommodate custom adventures, with limitless modding capabilities and the option to have an actual live DM on your gameserver. Sadly, with the recent collapse of the Neverwinter Vault once hosted by IGN, many great mods were lost forever, including a few of my own creations.

NWN2, on the other hand, feels clunky as hell. The awful music (yeah, why not have an orchestra with a chorus whine like there's no tomorrow when you encounter something you can kill with one hit), awful sound effects (whenever you cast a spell, be prepared to hear someone stir their bloody tea vigorously) and even worse visuals (NWN looked far better IMHO) really make this a horrifying experience. If playing this crap at all, play Storm of Zehir which is, thanks to some technical improvements, much more playable than the OC and MotB. If you're still interested in the OC & MotB storylines, better watch a let's play or something, as there really isn't much variation in terms of story development anyway.
    Freya
    edited August 2016
    Anduin said:

You get to ride horses!

Or war pony if you are diminutive.

Cavalry from The Aielund Saga.

The Aielund Saga is a BG-esque campaign. Other BG-esque campaigns are Crimson Tides of Tethyr, Darkness Over Daggerford and Swordflight. These have been covered by me, too.
    Anduinsarevok57AerakarSkatan
    edited August 2016
    Oops, double post. Sorry about that.

• GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    If you enjoy large-scale dynamic sieges/battles, which are virtually non-existent in vanilla, there is an excellent action-strategy mod called Good vs Evil 3. Find it here.
    A few years back, I had been working on a largely expanded and rebalanced total conversion of it set in a universe of my own invention, but unfortunately much of my work was lost when the original Neverwinter Vault was closed and I decided to discontinue the project. Still, John's creation is fun to play even in its unaltered state and a very good framework to build upon, should you want to create a strategy mod of your own.
    FinneousPJ
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @God I remember loving that mod as it has the same idea as Sacrifice, on of the best games ever. Ever!
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    I have been playing NWN for like half a year almost every saturday online with some friends now.

If it wasn't for my friends, I would have probably died from a skull fracture by now, because I would have just repeatedly slammed my head into the table over and over in frustration.

NWN is a very different game from Baldur's Gate. The story is bland at best, so are the NPCs. Terrible level design, it is super easy to get lost because everything looks the same. Camera and controls are INFURIATING. Don't even let me start on the uuuugly armor and clothing designs.
    Oh, also a ton of gamebreaking bugs, though that might just be the multiplayer.

I guess this game only really speaks to the dungeon crawling crowd, though even then there is better stuff out there.

The add-ons are not as painful as the main game, but unless you really got nothing else to play, you can skip this one without missing out.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    The backpack was annoying. You needed a bag of holding or a box straight away.

They are different games. I enjoy NWN very much. I cannot comment on NWN 2 as I have not played it.
    Aerakar