Skip to content

[MOD] The Stone of Askavar for Totsc, Tutu, BGT and BG:EE

Red_CarnelianRed_Carnelian Member Posts: 83
edited January 30 in BG:EE Mods
A BG:EE version is now available for download.

The Stone of Askavar is a WeiDU-based mod for Totsc, Tutu, BGT and BGEE. This mod involves a main quest and several subquests. There are new items and areas as well as lots of new creatures to fight.

This version is BG:EE v2.0+/SOD friendly with English, French, Polish and Russian translations.

Compatibility: I have tested the Stone of Askavar with Darkside of the Sword Coast and Dark Horizons without any issues. I have not tested it on EET or any other devices.

Download: The Stone of Askavar V2.2

You can also download the latest and previous versions from the webpage. Translators may find V1.8 useful.

Documentation: Read Me

Webpage: The Stone of Askavar

Screengrabs:
Spider Cavern
Cassandra's Lute
Post edited by Red_Carnelian on
GodKaiserHellcognoscentuselminsterAstroBryGuyCahirKamigoroshiGrammarsaladJuliusBorisovbrusbooinyoureyesZaghoul

Comments

• AWizardDidItAWizardDidIt Member Posts: 197
    Nice! I look forward to checking this out.
  • ThalamondThalamond Member Posts: 108
    Very cool indeed!
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    and compatible with EE! never heard of this mod but look forward to trying it out
    JuliusBorisovWise_Grimwald
  • agb1agb1 Member Posts: 249
    @Red_Carnelian

Hello. Thanks for updating SoA recently! I noticed that the BiG World Fixpack has a patch for SoA that is no longer doing anything because it doesn't match the latest SoA release, but the contents of the Fixpack patch are not fully implemented in the new version of SoA.

Here is the AR4300.baf script from the current version of SOA:

IF
    Global("TeldornMessSpawn","GLOBAL",0)
    GlobalGT("Chapter","GLOBAL",%tutu_chapter_4%)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    CreateCreature("TELMESS1",[2142.1648]%FACE_8%) // Teldorn Messenger
    CreateCreature("TELMESS2",[1960.1487]%FACE_2%) // Teldorn Messenger
    CreateCreature("TELAGENT",[2072.1603]%FACE_10%) // Teldorn Agent
    CreateCreature("HARPMESS",[2030.1620]%FACE_2%) // Dead Harper Scout
    CreateCreature("TELFGHT1",[2080.1640]%FACE_10%) // Teldorn Fighter
    CreateCreature("STONEGOL",[2080.1580]%FACE_10%) // Stone Golem
    SetGlobal("TeldornMessSpawn","GLOBAL",1)
    END

IF
    GlobalLT("CearwinQuest","GLOBAL",2)
    Global("DoorS001active","GLOBAL",0)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    TriggerActivation("DoorS001",FALSE)
    Continue()
    END

IF
    Global("DoorS001active","GLOBAL",0)
    GlobalGT("CearwinQuest","GLOBAL",1)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    TriggerActivation("DoorS001",TRUE)
    SetGlobal("DoorS001active","GLOBAL",1)
    END

Here is how the Fixpack patch modified the middle and bottom block of that script in older versions of SOA (this patch no longer does anything because the original script ha schanged):

Lines preceded by + are lines added by the Fixpack.

IF
    + Global("DoorS001Active","AR3200",0) // the Fixpack version of this line (which was added to the SOA script after the Fixpack patch was written) uses "AR3200" instead of "GLOBAL" so the variable is only added to this area, not to the whole game -- using an area variable is probably safer for compatibility in case any other mod ever uses a variable with the same name
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    + HideAreaOnMap("ARS002") // is this unnecessary or handled elsewhere by the new SOA?
    + HideAreaOnMap("ARS005") // is this unnecessary or handled elsewhere by the new SOA?
    + SetGlobal("DoorS001Active","AR3200",1) // see the note above about "AR3200" vs "GLOBAL"
    + Continue() // the original SOA script block did not include this; now it does
    END

IF
    + Global("DoorS001Active","AR3200",1) // see the note above about "AR3200" vs "GLOBAL"
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    + SetGlobal("DoorS001Active","AR3200",2)
    + Continue()
    END

The middle block in the current SOA script does not modify the DoorS001active variable so I think it executes every time the area script is processed (unnecessary, probably no harm, maybe slight lag?).

The Fixpack changes the variable in both blocks (first to 1, then to 2) so they only execute once. I am not sure if the HideAreaOnMap changes are still necessary, but I think it would be a good idea to incorporate at least this part of the Fixpack patch in this particular script.
  • Red_CarnelianRed_Carnelian Member Posts: 83
    edited January 2016
    For now I would remove the fixpack changes altogether. It's not as simple as it seems the door is open by default. A local variable would solve it but I'm not sure right now if I could use it in a script. The HideAreaOnMap entries aren't required.
    The Fixpack version stores the variable in AR3200 (not AR4300) because it was written for BGT, which renames AR4300 from BG1 to AR3200 when it is copied to BG2 as part of the BGT installation. http://www.shsforums.net/topic/25658-all-bgt-mega-mod-area-codes/

Here is the reason why those changes (including the HideAreaOnMap entries) were added:

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/56752-the-official-bwp-fixpack-thread/?p=582227

Also, I noticed that SoA's script includes this block:

IF
    Global("PoorMrColquetleFamily","GLOBAL",0)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("PoorMrColquetleFamily","GLOBAL",1)
    END

Why is this done? It seems to block the original BG1 code for this variable (from AR4300.bcs), effectively disabling this encounter:

IF
    Global("PoorMrColquetleFamily","GLOBAL",0)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("PoorMrColquetleFamily","GLOBAL",1)
    CreateCreature("mrcolson",[2686.874],NNW) // Commoner
    ActionOverride("mrcolson",DropInventory())
    CreateCreature("mrcolwif",[2738.879],SW) // Commoner
    CreateCreature("mrcolboy",[2720.890],SW) // Boy
    END
    edited January 2016
    Now I've had a think about it I've replaced everything with this block of code.

//This block will deactivate the trigger preventing access to the cave.
    //When CearwinQuest is set to 2 which is set elsewhere then on entering this area the default (active) state of the trigger will take over
    IF
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    Continue()
    END

This is a lot simpler. Similar to how Darkside (BGT) does it with another trigger in the same area. Setting an area variable within it to stop execution of that block but will also stop the block being executed if you enter the area again. No need to have any map references included as they are triggered by a creature's dialog in another area.

If you look in AR4300 in BGEE the creatures that are added by that script are actually in the area file as well. Its a bug. Rather than delete the block I disabled it untill it was sorted out. This has been flagged up somewhere but I can't find the comment.

Thanks @Red_Carnelian - the BiG World Fixpack no longer patches this mod.
  • ZerguuZerguu Member Posts: 37
    Hey, can someone help me? It seems that I'm unable to enter "spider cave" north of Nashkel. What can cause it?
    Grammarsalad
    edited February 2016
    The quickest solution is to use the cheat console to move into the cave
    C:MoveToArea("ARS001")

Also can you answer these questions for me.

Can you see the new areas on the worldmap?

Did you install Darkside of the Sword Coast after this MOD by any chance as I know this causes a problem in that area?
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    O_O

How did this go through ? Not game breaking but damn, it must have been there for a long time.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited April 2016
    Hi!
    I have two questions.
    1. The mod should be available in German, French, Spanish, Russian and Polish, but I do not see the .tra files in the language folder. Translations are gone. Can you please restore them?
    2. Does this mod work with BGEE 2.1 and SOD?
    Post edited by Aedan on
    Aedan said:

Hi!
    I have two questions.
    1. The mod should be available in German, French, Spanish, Russian and Polish, but I do not see the .tra files in the language folder. Translations are gone. Can you please restore them?
    2. Does this mod work with BGEE 2.1 and SOD?

1. The most recent version saw extensive changes to The Stone of Askavar. New dialogues were added, quests redone so most of the translations became out of date. I have requested for translators on the COM site but none have come forward so far. The old version with the original translations you can download from the website link in this thread.

2. No the mod does not work with BGEE 2.1 and SOD. I haven't bought the expansion yet.
    Aedan
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @Red_Carnelian
    Noted. Thanks for the reply!
  • anathema83anathema83 Member Posts: 47
    edited May 2016
    Hi. I can't start the quest. I'm in chapter 4 (after clearing mines). Area bcs (ar4300.bcs) says:
    IF
    Global("TeldornMessSpawn","GLOBAL",0)
    GlobalGT("Chapter","GLOBAL",4)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    CreateCreature("TELMESS1",[2142.1648],N) // Teldorn Messenger
    CreateCreature("TELMESS2",[1960.1487],SW) // Teldorn Messenger
    CreateCreature("TELAGENT",[2072.1603],NE) // Teldorn Agent
    CreateCreature("HARPMESS",[2030.1620],SW) // Harper Scout
    CreateCreature("TELFGHT1",[2080.1640],NE) // Teldorn Fighter
    CreateCreature("STONEGOL",[2080.1580],NE) // Stone golem
    SetGlobal("TeldornMessSpawn","GLOBAL",1)

I thought that the encounter take place in chapter 4. Or maybe GlobalGT means that I must be "over level 4"?

Edit: I didn't see previous post.

2. No the mod does not work with BGEE 2.1 and SOD. I haven't bought the expansion yet.

I suppose it doesn't matter if I have SOD. I have BG EE 2.2 beta - mod won't work, am I right?
    Yes you are correct GlobalGT means that I must be "over level 4". Once you have killed Davaeorn, chapter 5 begins. I guess the MOD will work up to a point. The Stone of Askavar adds new outside areas and I doubt they will be displayed on the map in the correct positions. You may have to use the cheats console to get around any issues. I'm surprised you managed to install it without errors.
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    edited August 2016
    @Red_Carnelian Can we expect new version officialy compatible with SoD 2.3 and EET?
  • GraoumfGraoumf Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 312
    It's planned: http://www.baldursgatemods.com/forums/index.php?topic=8300.msg78375#msg78375
    (Also, @Isaya is working to fix foreign language implementations and update of the french one.)
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    edited September 2016
    The ring that supposedly protects from poison doesn't work against medusae in Dragonspear. :(

EDIT
    It can be edited using Near Infinity and if you gve it the attributes found on the priapt against poison, it works fine. :)
    Hopefully the writer of the mod will incorporate this before too long.

Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    this mod has a few issues

One guy didn't appear inside the area where you are supposed to fight three people ( can't remember the name, but it was probably a problem related with SCS given the fact that as soon as I entered the guy casted invisbility or something I can't remember and I couldn't find him)

> I could not enter the cave via the entrance, I could only leave it ( I had to use cluaconsole to move)

> I had a few duplicates of the stones

> The adventure ends but it seems to me that is sort of pointless? I mean no true reward but xp
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    edited September 2017
    brunardo said:

and compatible with EE! never heard of this mod but look forward to trying it out

It is quite a good mod. It does have compatability issues with other mods though.

@Arthas I could not enter the cave via the entrance, I could only leave it ( I had to use cluaconsole to move)

This was a problem before EE. It is a mod incompatibility. However considering how long the problem has existed, one would have thought that such a solution or similar would have been included in the mod. :(
    The solution is below copied from the Bioware forum. I would have just posted this link, https://forum.bioware.com/topic/568329-modding-enhanced-edition/
    but the forum is in the process of being closed.

vbigiani wrote this:

You need to remove the lines starting with a minus (in this case, there aren't any) and add all lines marked with a plus. Thus, this:

IF
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    END

IF
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    END

becomes this:

IF
    Global("DoorS001Active","AR3200",0)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    HideAreaOnMap("ARS002")
    HideAreaOnMap("ARS005")
    SetGlobal("DoorS001Active","AR3200",1)
    Continue()
    END

IF
    Global("DoorS001Active","AR3200",1)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("DoorS001Active","AR3200",2)
    Continue()
    END

That is a permanent solution to the problem.
    However it needs a fresh installation.

If anybody has come across this problem during a game the folowing code can be used after Ctrl Space
    C:MoveToArea("ARS001")

However you will have to alter the baldur.lua file in wordpad first copying the following line into it while the game is closed.

SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Debug Mode','1')

@Arthas The adventure ends but it seems to me that is sort of pointless? I mean no true reward but xp.

Surely the amulets are the reward. They are not overpowered, but an extra defence against poison or hold is always useful. What would have been nice would be if you could merge all the amulets into one perhaps at a cost of 5000 or 10000 gold pieces. There is also the white robe of the spider which is very useful.

This link is helpful:

http://www.baldursgatemods.com/forums/index.php?topic=4937.0

Also note that the quests for the amulets have changed considerably, so beware of old posts.

MAJOR EDIT

A lot of what I have written here no longer applies. I have done a re-installation using BWS (Big World Set-up) with the latest version of the mod and so far it is bug free so a lot of the info above is no longer relevant. Many thanks to those maintainers who have done all that work. :):)
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    Grammarsalad
  • GraoumfGraoumf Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 312
    Thank you very much for this update, Red Carnelian. :)
  • RatatoskrRatatoskr Member Posts: 711
    Glad to see a new version; out of curiosity, should this version still be compatible with the pre 2+ versions as well?
    No as the world map is different. If there is a demand for it I could provide support for it in the next version or create a separate version just for BGEE v1.3. However I would not be able to test it.
  • RatatoskrRatatoskr Member Posts: 711
    @Red_Carnelian Well, I don't know if there's demand or if it's just me.

I'm sure I'll update my game at some point since most of the newer mods are 2+ and I don't like missing out, and I can keep using the console to get into the spider wizard cave for now. That's the most annoying glitch I've found in the previous version so it's not that bad.

So if it's too much work, I wouldn't worry about it, unless a bunch of other 1.3 holdouts suddenly show up.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    I liked this extra adventure in BGEE. Quite a few extra items but one definitely has to fight for them. I'll keep it as a standard mod now. The areas are quite nice, especially spiderville.
    Wise_GrimwaldThacoBell
    I'm glad you liked it. I tried to keep it as original as possible with new areas etc. Its over ten years old now so I'm really happy that players are still giving it a go.
    brunardo
  • KaliestoKaliesto Member Posts: 282
    Just want to say thank you for maintaining it all these years, I've been wanting to play this mod back in the day, but kept getting stomped by buggy setups.

Hopefully this time it will work out! :)
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    Just included it in my BWS EET set up and looks like a great mod - looking forward to it!