Skip to content

Making it Work: World Map

2»

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I just want to add very quickly, hovering doesn't work with touch screen devices.

So if there is a "hover function," there needs to be a way to communicate that information to the player on touch devices.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    deltago said:

I just want to add very quickly, hovering doesn't work with touch screen devices.

So if there is a "hover function," there needs to be a way to communicate that information to the player on touch devices.

That's actually what the default "Travel button" feature is for; on a touch-screen, you'd turn on One-Click Travel only if you don't care about knowing exactly what the travel times are. Otherwise, you select your destination and then you can see the travel time.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    edited August 2016
    I'd say this is one of those areas that didn't really need to be altered as much as it was. Double-clicking and the travel button is fine, to make things easier on tablets. Otherwise the functionality that was removed should be reinstated. This includes:

- The mouseover coloration of area icons
    - The area tooltips showing travel time

Additionally, the permanent travel time notes under named areas should be removed, as it's been stated many times these crowd the screen and are unappealing from a visual design perspective.

There should be one place (in addition to tooltips) on the panel that prints out travel time when an area is selected. My suggestion is either fixed above the travel button, or dynamically positioned under the area icon/name (but only when the area is selected).
  • LeokostaLeokosta Member Posts: 73
    Newbie suggestion: Zoom/Mouse Wheel :#
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Mousewheel would be nice to scroll up/down, actually.
  • RatatoskrRatatoskr Member Posts: 711
    I'm going to second the map scrolling via mouse wheel. And having the travel click options in options rather than on the map screen. I doubt people would change it that often so it shouldn't need to be as accessible.
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Can something be done to tighten up how the map moves into position with the new patch?

Instead of snapping smartly to an overhead view of your current map as it did in ver. 1.3 it now kind of drags into position.

I used to love flipping back and forth to see where my party was on the map and where I wanted to go next. Now I dread it as I get this vertigo kind of feeling when I go to map view.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    @Ravenslight: I think you're talking about the Area map, not the World map. While you may very well be right that it could use improvement, for clarity's sake, it probably works better as a separate discussion.
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Thels said:

@Ravenslight: I think you're talking about the Area map, not the World map. While you may very well be right that it could use improvement, for clarity's sake, it probably works better as a separate discussion.

I wasn’t sure how to approach this. As I thought about it, it didn’t seem to make sense to start an entirely new thread for just this one issue. I’m still not sure that it does.

Are there other issues concerning the area maps that need addressing? Or perhaps a more appropriate type thread where this would fit better?
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    Dee previously suggested to put it in the general thread - then when there are a few specifically for that screen (the 'Area Map') then they can be consolidated in a thread to start the discussion.

Personally, I think the zoom function you describe is cute, but not essential and I can fully appreciate why it may annoy or distract people.... the 'vertigo' description is very apt.
  • RatatoskrRatatoskr Member Posts: 711
    I have to agree with @Ravenslight I'm not fond of the new area map either so maybe it will need it's own section at some point. Personally I don't like it because the zoom sometimes lags for me, the weird gray fog makes it more difficult to find what I'm looking for on other parts of the map, and the title info cuts off the top part. To name only a few of the issues.