Skip to content

What to overhaul first: PST or IWD?

AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
What game of these 2 you would like Beamdog to overhaul first after BG series?

Sure, there are lots of great games that we would want to see overhauled besides these two (I want HMM3, Arcanum and Fallout) but devs mentioned games in the Poll quite often so chances are they will be the next. But who should be first?
Let's help @TrentOster & @CameronTofer to find out!

P.S. What exactly people want to see overhauled in these games: What would you like in IWDEE and PTEE?
P.P.S. I know there is already Which D&D game do you want remastered next after the Baldur's Gate series?
  1. What to overhaul next: PST or IWD?461 votes
    1. Planescape: Torment
      65.73%
    2. Icewind Dale (series)
      34.27%
Post edited by Anton on
aqzina

Comments

• WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    This has been done before and I already know the answer, PS:T. Even though I prefer IWD, I'm not going to bother going into it because the general verdict is IWD:EE sucks, bring on BG3!

In a few days you'll see PS:T has 50 and IWD has 4. :P
    Anton
  • MrKrisSatanMrKrisSatan Member Posts: 75
    The only good thing about Icewind Dale is the character creation, I'll accept Icewind Dale only on the condition the devs mod all the options from IWD2 into BG:EE
  • TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    I have never played PS:T. Shame on me! So in my ideal world, they can do IWD first, and then I have lots of time to play the original PS:T before the EE is made!
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Icewind Dale plays fine with the Bigg's Widescreen mod, but Planescape Torment's UI feels outdated, mostly because on Widescreen, the icons with the quickmenu and the radial menu get so small, it's very hard to click the right, so PS:T is most in need of an UI overhaul.
    AntonMedullaOblongata
  • EidolonEidolon Member Posts: 99
    Definitely Planescape: Torment. While I wouldn't mine IWD either I'm just a bigger fan of PS:T. Also PS:T simply needs a lot more than Icewind Dale.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    I say Icewind Dale with lots of new content, NPCs and less linearity. PS:T will probably get enough coverage in a possible sequel by Obsidian, if the rumour prove to be true.
  • DiscoCatDiscoCat Member Posts: 73
    IWD, not necessarily because I like it more but because (I'm guessing) it's the easiest one to port to Overhaul's codebase.
  • GarmGarm Member Posts: 67
    Planescape: Torment would improve a lot with a tweaked combat gameplay.

However I think Beamdog should focus on new content after the release of BG2:EE namely Baldur's Gate 3 and hopefully new IPs.
  • simulacrumsimulacrum Member Posts: 5
    PS:T because i haven't played it and i'm assuming we would get iwd too eventually.
    Lacceh
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Hmm... difficult choice, but I think that of the two, PS:T actually needs less work and could therefore be completed faster - the story's practically pitch-perfect as it is (barring a few loose ends that the "Unfinished Business" mod covers), and I don't think the game would benefit from more NPCs; it'd really be a purely mechanical upgrade.
  • VampQueen31VampQueen31 Member Posts: 60
    edited September 2012
    100% Planescape:Torment. The Game is the greatest D&D game ever made thus far in my opinion. The storytelling blows every infinity engine game out of the water. IWD games while fun, are just mindless hack n slash experiences and you can find that easily these days.

I dont know how I'd feel about additions to P:ST.. If they pull it off in BG:EE then I'd trust them to do the same with P:ST.
    MedullaOblongata
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    Hands down IWD. Planescape is great but IWD is such a perfect D&D take on an ARPG. I would love to see it with enhanced visuals. But, ideally, both are overhauled.
    The_New_Romance
  • DecrepitDragonDecrepitDragon Member Posts: 120
    Both should be given a wipe with the Overhaul cloth, as they are each great games for different reasons.

I personally prefer Planescape, mostly because it was a step away from BG and IWD - it has character all of its own and seems to be a part of the franchise, without really being held up by any previous titles. Simply a cracking game.
    Syntia13MedullaOblongata
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    I never played IWD and Planescape's GUI needs the chainsaw treatment...
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    Syntia13 said:

PS:T-EE (Hopefully PS:T-HD) to do list:
    - Don't touch the content.
    - Hunt down bugs and kill them with fire
    - Rework the GUI
    - Update graphics
    - Sell
    - ???
    - $$$

XD

Then work on IWD. :)

I think your ??? meant to say "Don't touch the content."!

AlesthesNordom
  • FelixFelix Member Posts: 39
    If I had to choose but it would be ideal if they first finish Baldur's Gate series ie: BG 3!
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I think IWD will better take advantage of the most up to date Infinity Engine. PST isn't dependent as much upon D&D mechanics, so I'm guessing the biggest improvements are going to be resolution and updated GUI. Whereas IWD will be able to take advantage of BG2 kits, proper dual-wielding, etc.
  • RabainRabain Member Posts: 39
    Also PST had a really low sales volume, it only later became a cult classic. It might not be such good use of the Overhaul team.

After working on BG1 and BG2 EE the team will be primed to go straight into a BG3 with everything fresh in memory.

PST could turn into a disaster as it is even more revered as a masterpiece than the BG series and probably had the lowest sales number of them all as well.
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    I W D
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited September 2012
    @Felix: Technically, the Baldur's Gate series is finished. BG3 would be quite interesting, but it's not like ToB ended on a cliffhanger that was never resolved... :)
  • RabainRabain Member Posts: 39
    BG3 would no doubt only be used as an indication of the design intent, a worthy sequel to the series.

It would make no difference to me if BG3 took place in Chult and involved no character from the BG series so long as the style, dialogue, romances and other gameplay attributes were similar.

I think calling it BG3 for sales purposes only would be fine.
  • Vonbek777Vonbek777 Member Posts: 135
    I will personally buy six copies of Torment if they put it out. Family loves the game. PST and IWD before BG 3 in my book. But I'm sure that is not a majority opinion in any fashion.
    AntonMedullaOblongata
  • Tr_ondTr_ond Member Posts: 496
    Whichever is the quickest to Enhance.
    lain2501CrevsDaak
  • InsultionInsultion Member Posts: 179
    As much as I love PST and its story, I loved IWD. I would ask for IWD first and then PST when they've overhauled BG1/2 and IWD1/2, and after PST start on any desired sequels.

I don't get why (if anyone is. I didn't really do much reading of comments) anyone would bash on IWD. Maybe on IWD2 for how it felt rushed after you got a quarter of the way in, but even then I felt connected to the story.
  • More Forgotten Realms!

More Faerun!

More Dwarves!
    InsultionAristillius
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    There's no argue about it.

PS:T is better, older and need more the enhanced edition than IWD. The only way to play a PS:T game today is using the thunderpeel2001 install guide
    calaveraAntonAlesthes