Skip to content

Shadowrun in general and Shadowrun Returns

ZinodinZinodin Member Posts: 153
edited October 2012 in Off-Topic
Who here have played the PnP game, original SNES title, or any other installment from the franchiese? And who is looking forward to the new singleplayer campaign most likely coming out in January 2013?

Personally, I've only heard/seen some from the SNES game. The rest is just own research from interviews/articles. I'm very excited about what I've heard from the setting, and that the newest installment is available for mac/pc/ipad (Not sure if also android tablet) so yay! :) I'm definetly getting it, even though I'm upset I missed the kickstarter for this game :( I'm not sure if there's dialouge options, but I hope there are! :D

Pic here from new game: http://www.harebrained-schemes.com.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/barrens_street_market1.png

For those who are completely clueless about Shadowrun here's introduction to the setting/upcoming game! Watch the first video on their finished kickstarter. :) It's definetly worth a look if you like the standard human/elf/dwarf/orcs/-fantasy genre because this one has an awesome twist! Mainly that it's taking place in a modern, blade-runner setting ;)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns

Comments

• DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I've played the Pen and Paper version a few years ago. Played a cowardly dwarven hacker who constantly got in trouble for rolling v. poorly on his hacking skill when trying to fix the problems he got from his earlier faillures at hacking. My roommate was a corrupt police officer (and childhood friend) who sold videos from his kills on the internet, which he filmed with his eye camera.

The game eventually stopped, me and my roommate were v. new to Shadowrun (and tabletop roleplaying in general) where the DM and other two players were experts. We were fumbling around a bit, while they were conning us out of our money with triple identities, false bank accounts, allies in law firms and special biotic enhancements and what not. Didn't leave a v. nice atmosphere.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    The SNES game was awesome, I still fire it up on an emulator every now and again (I still own both SNES and game in hard copy format as well before I get flamed for pirating).
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I used to have the game, back in the day, even the "Universal Brotherhood" sourcebook/Player Handout, which introduced Bug Spirits to the game. Never found anyone else interesting in playing, however.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I played PnP Shadowrun twice. Nice setting, clumsy rules.
  • jhart1018jhart1018 Member Posts: 909
    I played the PnP version once, and it was frustrating because one guy didn't want to complete the job, and one of the other players had rule system overload and couldn't remember which dice to roll. That wasn't the game's fault, though. It was such a cool concept and world. I'm thinking I may need this game when it comes out for pc...
    Zinodin
  • noodles_toonoodles_too Member Posts: 23
    edited October 2012
    I played it once also and it wasn't much fun...our group and i much preferred Cyberpunk.
    That was a lot darker and had a better feel to it.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I finished the SNES version, awesome game.
    Zinodin
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    edited October 2012
    i played in a campaign in which our characters were over-powered to an absurd extent...
    i was cursed w/ a poor GM (40d6 pools?) who had a cool story idea, but who loved the sound of dice rolling...
    that being said, the system was cool enough to allow for memorable characters...
  • HowieHowie Member Posts: 136
    I'm a backer. Looking nice, I'm glad how kickstarter makes my dream games come true.
    Zinodin
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Did anyone else spend far too long trying to subdue the Jester Spirit before figuring out what to do? (In my defense I tried talking to him off the bat but it turns out you need to allow him a little time first before dialogue)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    I'm the only one who thinks Shadowrun would make a bitchin Ghost in the Shell-esque animated series?
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    LadyRhian said:

I used to have the game, back in the day, even the "Universal Brotherhood" sourcebook/Player Handout, which introduced Bug Spirits to the game. Never found anyone else interesting in playing, however.

Queen Euphoria introduced insect spirits. Universal Brotherhood upgraded them to a significant threat.

I started playing Shadowrun with first edition, and kept playing through third edition. I haven't played fourth or fifth although I own books for each.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I read the 1st edition rulebook. Was disapointed by the generic fantasy tropes. Would have prefered streight up cyberpunk, without the elves. Thus, I never played it PnP.

I like the Dragonfall game. One of the best RPGs I have on my iPad.
    edited August 2016
    Fardragon said:

I read the 1st edition rulebook. Was disapointed by the generic fantasy tropes. Would have prefered streight up cyberpunk, without the elves. Thus, I never played it PnP.

Theres Cyberounk 2020 for a ''no elves allowed'' version of Shadowrun, which is also going to be adapted in a videogame by the same guys who did the Witcher games.

Still, i'll be pissed if they remove the fantasy races in Shadowrun.

Fardragon said:

The entire point of Shadowrun is the mixture of fantasy and cyberpunk tropes. If you want cyberpunk without fantasy then at the time there was Cyberpunk 2020, GURPS Cyberpunk, and probably other options that aren't immediately coming to mind.
    edited August 2016

Fardragon said:

The entire point of Shadowrun is the mixture of fantasy and cyberpunk tropes. If you want cyberpunk without fantasy then at the time there was Cyberpunk 2020, GURPS Cyberpunk, and probably other options that aren't immediately coming to mind.
    They could have added fantasy without adding sub-Tolkien cliché. Just use real myth and legend for inspiration, rather than stuff made up in the mid 20th-century.

Anyway, when Shadowrun first came out I'm pretty sure those others weren't available. At least not where I was living.

Yup, just checked, Shadowrun published in 1989, GURPs Cyberpunk 1990.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Like most games, I never got to play PnP versions. But I did play the nes, and the more recent dragonfall and returns. I haven't had the funds to through away for Hong Kong, but I want it, I'm always a human mage (shaman in the Nes).

I would be perfectly fine with the game without freaking elves! (big shocker there) I remember someone actually mad that the most magic oriented race in the games weren't elves but dwarves. Literally, they were mad that the game didn't stick 100% to already overused cliches.
    As befits someone who complains about the magic, I generally play a Decker.

Didn't think Hong Kong was sufficiently different to Dragonfall, but I have one on the iPad and the other on PC.
    Fardragon said:

Fardragon said:

They could have added fantasy without adding sub-Tolkien cliché. Just use real myth and legend for inspiration, rather than stuff made up in the mid 20th-century.

Anyway, when Shadowrun first came out I'm pretty sure those others weren't available. At least not where I was living.

R. Talsorian's Cyberpunk was published in 1988, one year before Shadowrun.

Anyway, they did use some real life myth and legend for inspiration, but the point of the RPG was cyberpunk with orks and elves. It also makes several departures from Tolkien beyond that point. They weren't doing it wrong, they were doing exactly what they set out to do.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMagerorikon

Fardragon said:

Thats what i was saying.
    What do you think of Dragonfall and Hong Kong?
    Howie said:

I'm a backer. Looking nice, I'm glad how kickstarter makes my dream games come true.

One Above All bless Kickstarter.

Fardragon said:

Fardragon said:

Anyway, they did use some real life myth and legend for inspiration, but the point of the RPG was cyberpunk with orks and elves. It also makes several departures from Tolkien beyond that point. They weren't doing it wrong, they were doing exactly what they set out to do.
    But it wasn't stocked by any retailer in the vicinity of Preston, England. Shadowrun was the first cyberpunk RPG I encountered, and it was a major disapointment thst it had races copy-pasted from D&D. Yes, the shamanic magic was fine, if they had just had that without the D&D stuff the game would have been far better. In the end we played FASA's Star Trek RPG instead.

What do you think of Dragonfall and Hong Kong?

• DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Fardragon said:

As befits someone who complains about the magic, I generally play a Decker.

Didn't think Hong Kong was sufficiently different to Dragonfall, but I have one on the iPad and the other on PC.

Actually a lot of reviews I saw (this was when it first came out mind you, I haven't looked since then) actually say it was better than Dragnfall, it was another step forward exactly of dragonfall was a BIG step forward from shadowrun.

Fardragon said:

Fardragon said:

I mean I've looked at the lore... fucking zulu elves... ZULU FUCKING ELVES!
    Elf girls with cybernetic arms and skimpy clothing. Whats not to Like?
    edited September 2016
    Fardragon said:

Fardragon said:

Fardragon said:

But it wasn't stocked by any retailer in the vicinity of Preston, England. Shadowrun was the first cyberpunk RPG I encountered, and it was a major disapointment thst it had races copy-pasted from D&D. Yes, the shamanic magic was fine, if they had just had that without the D&D stuff the game would have been far better. In the end we played FASA's Star Trek RPG instead.
    So like the game is on its 5th edition and has been continuously in print for 27 years, which is a pretty good record for a "major disappointment." Especially since it really wasn't the only Cyberpunk genre RPG available, whether your local retailer had it or not.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage

I don't think I read that particular bit of lore, but elves (and dwarves) were present in every human culture because UGE (unexplained genetic expression) happened globally. What is it about "Zulu elves" that makes them so noteworthy?
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage

I don't think I read that particular bit of lore, but elves (and dwarves) were present in every human culture because UGE (unexplained genetic expression) happened globally. What is it about "Zulu elves" that makes them so noteworthy?
    And then goblinization happened.