Skip to content

[MOD IDEA] Weapons (Items) Enhancements

AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
edited September 2016 in BGII:EE Mods
I recently started and almost completed a new game. I couldn't help but notice that my weapon setups never varied from game to game. Being, admittedly, a powergamer I've no interest in subpar equipment. It's no wonder then that the Flail of Ages, Celestial Fury and Crom Faeyr always find their way into my quick-weapon slots and that I choose the corresponding proficiencies at the expense of other less useful ones.
Well, what if all weapons were made equally useful and enjoyable?

So, I tried Weimer's Item Upgrade mod for more options but although I like its concept I was not entirely satisfied with the way it was handled. Here are a few reasons why:
- New items are made by combining several thus destroying more than one. This is actually bearable since one can't use all available items at the same time (unless one painfully switches everything via inventory). Also, most of the upgrades just unite each item bonuses into one. Still, I'd rather take a different route.
- Recipes are too constraining. I don't think the ingredient gathering part is actually enjoyable. Plus, the various requirements are quite confusing and one needs to inspect the readme list more than once.
- Upgrades lack a progressive aspect and in my opinion, general harmony. I like most of them because they are unique, but I feel that while they're sometimes just right (like the Improved Robe of the Archmagi), some other times they're way better than the best (like the Fulcrum Club).

So I began thinking about different upgrades. Upgrades that would make less powerful weapons more useful.
In all honesty, I don't like nerfing. I'd rather give better but optional tools to players. Which is why I'm not interested in downgrading the best equipment but rather in upgrading everything else.
Will balance be preserved? Well, it depends on how balanced one thinks the existing best options are. Since I'm not really aiming at revising but rather at adding new content, one can chooses whatever suits one's playstyle best.

I know of the other major item mods, especially of Item Revisions which does what it promises excellently. Again, my focus is not revision, though it could be argued that a revision is upgrade or vice-versa. Another difference is I don't feel as compelled by D&D canon or if so, only by AD&D2 (I use this database which, sadly, is in French only).
That said, there's inspiration to take from Item Revisions. It has great modding examples.

Amongst items, weapons are of primary importance which is why I'll start working on them.
Now, I will share my ideas with you. I shall not do much more than brainstorming in the near future. Item modding on itself isn't difficult, thanks to the amazing tools we have. It's really how you mod that's the tricky part. So, any suggestions are welcome!

States

I find it really surprising that no mod uses these more extensively.

So, what is this alll about? States define... states of creatures (see there). For example the STATE_POISONED which indicates that a creature is... poisoned!
Now, there's this nice effect named Cast Spell on Condition (number 232). This effect allows us to pick a condition among many and notably the Target State.
If we apply this to weapons, it means we can check the state of the ennemy we hit and cast a spell (which is basically a collection of effects) if it matches with our condition. So, for example I could create a Dagger that inflict diseases and/or ability score penalties on poisoned targets.

The only limitation is the number of states which is as well as their type, fixed. We can add custom states but those require more complicated solutions.
By using states we can add a lot of strategical options and create weapon synergies. So, it would definitely be one of the key concepts behind this mod!

Universal recipe, choice and progress

I think it best to have a simple, straightforward recipe. To upgrade a weapon, one would just need a scroll of enchantment and maybe some gold. Then depending on the current level of enchantment of the weapon, more or less scrolls would be required. A fixed number of scrolls would be randomely spread throughout the game.

I'm also thinking about the possibility of destroying magical items to retrieve enchantment components (~scrolls). Scrolls requirements and output would be as follows:
- Enchantment : weapon enchantment + 1
- Disenchantment : weapon enchantment - 1 (SoA); weapon enchantment - 2 (ToB)
With maximum enchantment:
- 4 (SoA)
- 5 (ToB)
I'm not yet planning on working on enhancements for items that can already be upgraded or crafted with ingredients. But I'd like to in the future.

With this system, players would have to choose what to enhance first, decide whether they want more weapons with lower enchantments or less but more powerful weapons. I'm not sure yet about how many weapons should be fully upgradable by the end of the game. I'm thinking somewhere along two weapons per character with random scrolls.

At one point I thought it could be interesting to separate pure enchantment (+hit/dmg) from effects. It would be a little complicated to build since all potential enchancements must exist in game thus increasing the number of file to create (see the various versions of the Flail of Ages).

Effects rather than Abilities

Abilities are a bit like spells. The problem with those is that you need to cast them and that you can only do this once per round. I find there are already enough Special Abilities (Innates) and spells to play with, especially when you start getting High Level Abilities. Not only that, I'm a lazy player so I like on-hit effects better than abilities.

They're also more useful when playing with creatures that have more Hit Points as in the Legacy of Bhaal difficulty.

[Two-handed weapons to one-handed ones]

I put this and the following idea into brackets to indicate they would be interesting but are not a priority.

This one I think would be quite appealing to players.
Basically, you would be able to turn two-handed swords into swords, halberds into axes, spears into daggers, staffs into bludgeoning weapons.
This process would involve, I think, some enchantment cost. Maybe randomized.

[True crafting (player-made weapons)]

I also thought about designing sets of enhancements, generic effects that you could mix and match to enhance any normal weapon.
The problem again is that every possible combination must be created as a resource.
Obviously, these possibilities grow exponentially with each effect added to the pool. WeiDU could help us though, with its useful CREATE action.

Next, I'll start going into details with enhancements suggestions.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    @subtledoctor Yes, I know your stance on that :) ! All I can say is that I'm not ruling out any options.
    @subtledoctor On the power of the effect itself, I'm not convinced it's that crazy. What's an additional attack, two at best with Improved Haste per round? Granted, I always play with maximum difficulty so I may not see too much of an impact (I switch off-hand weapons depending on the battle).

I agree it's important to be creative. But in the end, let's not fool ourselves either, it's all about damage. Which is why an additional attack can be just the same as a stacking poison/wound effect.
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    edited September 2016
    I feel like the way the +apr works make it so offhand weapons are support weapons as soon as you don't take the offhand weapon for their own damage but just for the amplification they provide to the main hand weapon.

It's kinda similar to using Crom Faeyr in offhand with a higher damage weapon in main hand. It doesn't feel right to me to have the offhand weapon be chosen only for the bonuses it provides to the main hand. I think there are more interesting ways to make interactions between offhand and mainhand than a plain "makes your main hand better" of a +str or + apr bonus.

Here's why what you mentioned in the op about weapons that apply effects under conditions(state diseased etc) would make for interesting and meaningful offhand/mainhand combinations.

I'm not sure if it's possible but I think +apr would be more interesting if you could make it only apply when wielded in main hand, it would then make this particular weapon have more synergy with +dmg type of effects. It's not very original though as combining high apr with flat bonuses is already the most common way of increasing damage output.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    edited September 2016

I'm not sure if it's possible but I think +apr would be more interesting if you could make it only apply when wielded in main hand

I think the closest you could get is to restrict an entire weapon category to the mainhand(ITEMTYPE.2da, Slot=35), and putting the APR effects on them. Any new(or existing but unused) weapon categories would need to be added to every relevant store/bag so they could be sold/stored though.

I use this method to restrict Bastard Swords, Katanas, Morning-stars, and "Heavy"(2d4) War-hammers to the mainhand, but you could just as well create a dummy category for all APR weapons and restrict just them to the mainhand.
    Thanks to @subtledoctor for his input and to @GrimLefourbe for these interesting ideas on this APR thing.

It's true most off-hand weapons serve as almost passive buffs. But I think that's the way it should be since they only hit once (or two) per round. Of course, the problem with this is that it makes shields irrelevant. Since, I'm not nerfing, it may be a good idea to work on enhancing shields next to make them as useful as off-hand weapons.

Quite a good idea from @kjeron to restrict heavy weapons to the main-hand.

Now, I know I promised some suggestions but one of my goal as I said in my first post is to make harmonious improvements. So, it's important to get a good view of the existing system first.
    I extracted and mapped a list of all weapons. I filtered the data in categories which should give hindsight on how they work overall.

See the following charts (about 300 entries):

Chart 1 shows that most of the effects are either damage or buffing effects (about 2/3).
    Chart 2 shows more details as to what they are. It shows that effects are overall quite simple even though I didn't retrieve more specific data (like sub-types, modifiers and probabilities). Damage is mostly a flat instant modifier. Buffs improve statistics (various). Interestingly, states are often used (about 1/5).

Source:
    TYPE          PROFICIENCY                 RESSOURCE NAME                              EFF1    EFF2       EFF3
    Axes Axe AX1H07 Bala's Axe, Wizard Slayer Debuff State Miscast
    Axes Axe AX1H10 Azuredge +3 Slay Type Undead
    Axes Axe AX1H10 Azuredge +3 Damage Type Undead
    Axes Axe AX1H12 Stonefire +3 Damage Instant Fire
    Axes Axe AX1H13 Frostreaver +3 Damage Instant Cold
    Axes Axe AX1H13 Frostreaver +3 Damage Instant Acid
    Axes Axe AX1H15 Axe of the Unyielding +5 Buff Statistics Constitution
    Axes Axe AX1H15 Axe of the Unyielding +5 Buff Statistics Armor
    Axes Axe AX1H15 Axe of the Unyielding +5 Buff Statistics Regeneration
    Axes Axe AX1H15 Axe of the Unyielding +5 Slay Type All
    Axes Axe AX1H16 K'logarath +4 Debuff State Knock Back
    Axes Axe OHRAX1H1 Hojar's Fame +1 Damage Instant Fire
    Axes Axe WAAXE Axe of Hrothgar +3 Buff Statistics Wisdom
    Axes Axe WAAXE Axe of Hrothgar +3 Buff Statistics Charisma
    Large swords Bastard Sword SW1H03 Kondar +1 Damage Type Shapeshifter
    Large swords Bastard Sword SW1H34 Albruin +1 Buff Resistance Poison
    Large swords Bastard Sword SW1H34 Albruin +1 Ability Spell Detect Invisibility
    Large swords Bastard Sword SW1H38 Jhor the Bleeder +2 Damage Over Time Poison
    Large swords Bastard Sword SW1H39 Blade of Searing +3 Damage Instant Fire
    Large swords Bastard Sword SW1H63 Foebane +5 Buff Statistics Saves
    Large swords Bastard Sword SW1H63 Foebane +5 Damage Type Extraplanar
    Large swords Bastard Sword SW1H63 Foebane +5 Damage Instant Magic
    Large swords Bastard Sword SW1H63 Foebane +5 Buff Instant Hit Points
    Large swords Bastard Sword SW1H65 Purifier +5 Ability Spell Dispel Magic
    Large swords Bastard Sword SW1H65 Purifier +5 Buff Resistance Magic
    Maces Club BLUN10 The Root of the Problem +1 Damage Type Unnatural
    Maces Club BLUN10 The Root of the Problem +1 Damage Instant Acid
    Maces Club BLUN22 Blackblood +3 Damage Instant Acid
    Maces Club BLUN23 Bone Club +2, +3 vs. undead Damage Type Undead
    Maces Club BLUN23 Bone Club +2, +3 vs. undead Hit Type Undead
    Maces Club BLUN24 Gnasher +2 Damage Over Time Piercing
    Maces Club BLUN27 Club of Detonation +5 Damage Instant Fire
    Maces Club OHBBLUN1 Marduuk's Mallet +3 Buff Statistics Strength
    Crossbows Crossbow DWXBOW01 Drow Crossbow of Speed Buff Statistics Attacks
    Crossbows Crossbow XBOW03 The Guide +2 Hit Type All
    Crossbows Crossbow XBOW06 The Army Scythe +1 Buff Statistics Attacks
    Crossbows Crossbow XBOW14 Heavy Crossbow of Searing +1 Damage Instant Fire
    Crossbows Crossbow XBOW16 Firetooth +5 Damage Instant Fire
    Daggers Dagger NEBDAG Neb's Nasty Cutter +2 Damage Over Time Poison
    Daggers Dagger DAGG12 Firetooth +3 Damage Instant Fire
    Daggers Dagger DAGG13 Pixie Prick +3 Debuff State Sleep
    Daggers Dagger DAGG17 Stiletto of Demarchess +2 Debuff State Hold
    Daggers Dagger DAGG22 Dagger of the Star +5 Buff State Invisibility
    Daggers Dagger DAGG22 Dagger of the Star +5 Damage Instant Electricity
    Daggers Dagger MISC75 Dagger of Venom +2 Damage Over Time Poison
    Daggers Dagger OHHDAG01 The Jade Fang Debuff State Stun
    Daggers Dagger OHHDAG01 The Jade Fang Buff Statistics Hit Points
    Darts Darts BDDART01 Biter +2 Damage Instant Acid
    Darts Darts DART03 Dart of Stunning Debuff State Stun
    Darts Darts DART04 Dart of Wounding Damage Over Time Poison
    Darts Darts DART05 Asp's Nest Damage Over Time Poison
    Flails Flail/Morning Star BLUN30 Flail of Ages +5 Damage Instant Elemental
    Flails Flail/Morning Star BLUN30 Flail of Ages +5 Debuff State Slow
    Flails Flail/Morning Star BLUN30 Flail of Ages +5 Buff State Free Action
    Flails Flail/Morning Star WAFLAIL Defender of Easthaven +3 Buff Statistics Armor
    Flails Flail/Morning Star WAFLAIL Defender of Easthaven +3 Buff Resistance Physical
    Morning stars Flail/Morning Star BLUN16 The Sleeper +2 Debuff State Sleep
    Morning stars Flail/Morning Star BLUN17 Wyvern's Tail +2 Damage Instant Poison
    Morning stars Flail/Morning Star BLUN35 Ice Star +4 Damage Instant Cold
    Morning stars Flail/Morning Star BLUN35 Ice Star +4 Buff Resistance Cold
    Morning stars Flail/Morning Star WASTAR Everard's Morning Star +2 Debuff State Memorize
    Halberds Halberd HALB04 Dragon's Bane +3 Damage Type Dragon
    Halberds Halberd HALB05 Dragon's Breath +4 Damage Instant Elemental
    Halberds Halberd HALB06 Blackmist +4 Ability Spell Blind
    Halberds Halberd HALB08 Duskblade +2 Damage Instant Cold
    Halberds Halberd HALB09 Wave +4 Slay Type Fire
    Halberds Halberd HALB09 Wave +4 Damage Instant Cold
    Halberds Halberd HALB11 Ravager +6 Ability Spell Cloak of Fear
    Halberds Halberd HALB11 Ravager +6 Slay Type All
    Halberds Halberd HALB11 Ravager +6 Damage Instant Poison
    Halberds Halberd WA2HALB Harmonium Halberd +3 Buff Statistics Strength
    Large swords Katana NPSW04 Corthala Family Blade Buff Statistics Armor
    Large swords Katana NPSW04 Corthala Family Blade Damage Over Time Poison
    Large swords Katana SW1H45 Malakar +2 Buff Statistics Armor
    Large swords Katana SW1H51 Celestial Fury +3 Ability Spell Lightning Strike
    Large swords Katana SW1H51 Celestial Fury +3 Ability Spell Blindness
    Large swords Katana SW1H51 Celestial Fury +3 Debuff State Stun
    Large swords Katana SW1H51 Celestial Fury +3 Damage Instant Electricity
    Large swords Katana SW1H71 Hindo's Doom +4 Buff State Death Ward
    Large swords Katana SW1H71 Hindo's Doom +4 Buff Resistance Magic
    Large swords Katana SW1H71 Hindo's Doom +4 Ability Spell Greater Restoration
    Large swords Katana WA2DAK Dak'kon's Zerth Blade +2 Buff Statistics Armor
    Large swords Katana WA2DAK Dak'kon's Zerth Blade +2 Buff Statistics Memorize
    Large swords Long Sword BDSW1H06 Voidsword +3 Debuff Statistics Strength
    Large swords Long Sword MISCBC Blackrazor +3 Buff Statistics Strength
    Large swords Long Sword MISCBC Blackrazor +3 Buff State Haste
    Large swords Long Sword MISCBC Blackrazor +3 Buff Statistics Hit Points
    Large swords Long Sword MISCBC Blackrazor +3 Debuff Statistics Level
    Large swords Long Sword OHDHSWD Holy Long Sword of Tyr +3 Damage Type Evil Chaotic
    Large swords Long Sword RODSWORD Flaming Long Sword +1 Debuff State Hold
    Large swords Long Sword SW1H06 Varscona +2 Damage Instant Cold
    Large swords Long Sword WA2S1H Sword of Balduran Buff Resistance Magic
    Large swords Long Sword WA2S1H Sword of Balduran Buff Statistics Lore
    Large swords Long Sword SW1H24 The Burning Earth +1 Damage Type Troll
    Large swords Long Sword SW1H24 The Burning Earth +1 Buff Type Troll
    Large swords Long Sword SW1H24 The Burning Earth +1 Damage Type Lycanthrope
    Large swords Long Sword SW1H24 The Burning Earth +1 Buff Type Lycanthrope
    Large swords Long Sword SW1H24 The Burning Earth +1 Damage Type Undead
    Large swords Long Sword SW1H24 The Burning Earth +1 Buff Type Undead
    Large swords Long Sword SW1H31 Daystar +2 Ability Spell Sunray
    Large swords Long Sword SW1H31 Daystar +2 Damage Type Undead
    Large swords Long Sword SW1H31 Daystar +2 Damage Type Evil
    Large swords Long Sword SW1H31 Daystar +2 Hit Type Evil
    Large swords Long Sword SW1H32 Peridan +2 Buff State Fear
    Large swords Long Sword SW1H32 Peridan +2 Ability Spell Detect Invisibility
    Large swords Long Sword SW1H32 Peridan +2 Buff Statistics Regeneration
    Large swords Long Sword SW1H32 Peridan +2 Damage Type Dragon
    Large swords Long Sword SW1H33 Ras, The Dancing Blade +2 Ability Spell Dancing sword
    Large swords Long Sword SW1H35 Adjatha the Drinker +2 Buff State Domination
    Large swords Long Sword SW1H35 Adjatha the Drinker +2 Buff Statistics Hit Points
    Large swords Long Sword SW1H36 Namarra +2 Damage Instant Slashing
    Large swords Long Sword SW1H36 Namarra +2 Ability Spell Silence, 15' Radius
    Large swords Long Sword SW1H40 Blade of Roses +3 Buff Statistics Charisma
    Large swords Long Sword SW1H53 Sword of Flame +1 Damage Instant Fire
    Large swords Long Sword SW1H54 The Equalizer Buff State Charm
    Large swords Long Sword SW1H54 The Equalizer Buff State Confusion
    Large swords Long Sword SW1H54 The Equalizer Hit Type 0
    Large swords Long Sword SW1H54 The Equalizer Damage Type 0
    Large swords Long Sword SW1H61 Angurvadal +5 Buff Statistics Strength
    Large swords Long Sword SW1H61 Angurvadal +5 Buff State Negative Plan Protection
    Large swords Long Sword SW1H61 Angurvadal +5 Damage Instant Fire
    Large swords Long Sword SW1H77 The Answerer +4 Debuff Resistance Magic
    Large swords Long Sword SW1H77 The Answerer +4 Debuff Statistics Armor
    Bows Longbow BOW09 Ripper +2 Damage Instant Missile
    Bows Longbow BOW10 Heartseeker +3 Ability Spell Aim
    Bows Longbow BOW10 Heartseeker +3 Damage Instant Missile
    Bows Longbow BOW11 Strong Arm +2 Damage Instant Missile
    Bows Longbow BOW13 Mana Bow +4 Buff Resistance Magic
    Bows Longbow BOW23 Taralash +5 Buff Statistics Movement
    Maces Mace BLUN18 Skullcrusher +3 Damage Type Human
    Maces Mace BLUN19 Mauler's Arm +2 Buff Statistics Strength
    Maces Mace BLUN20 Ardulia's Fall +1 Debuff State Slow
    Maces Mace BLUN25 Mace of Disruption +2 Buff State Level Drain
    Maces Mace BLUN25 Mace of Disruption +2 Slay Type Undead
    Maces Mace BLUN25 Mace of Disruption +2 Damage Type Undead
    Maces Mace BLUN29 Storm Star +5 Damage Instant Electricity
    Maces Mace BLUN29 Storm Star +5 Buff Resistance Electricity
    Maces Mace HLOLTH Handmaiden's Mace Damage Over Time Poison
    Maces Mace WAMACE Jerrod's Mace +2 Hit Type Demon
    Maces Mace WAMACE Jerrod's Mace +2 Damage Type Demon
    Arrows None AROW03 Arrow of Slaying Slay Type Ogre Mage
    Arrows None AROW04 Acid Arrow Hit Type All
    Arrows None AROW04 Acid Arrow Damage Instant Acid
    Arrows None AROW05 Arrow of Biting Damage Over Time Poison
    Arrows None AROW06 Arrow of Detonation Damage Instant Fire
    Arrows None AROW07 Arrow of Dispelling Debuff State Dispel
    Arrows None AROW08 Arrow of Fire Damage Instant Fire
    Arrows None AROW09 Arrow of Ice Damage Instant Cold
    Arrows None AROW10 Arrow of Piercing Hit Type All
    Arrows None AROW10 Arrow of Piercing Damage Instant Piercing
    Bolts None BOLT03 Bolt of Lightning Damage Instant Electricity
    Bolts None BOLT04 Bolt of Biting Damage Instant Poison
    Bolts None BOLT05 Bolt of Polymorphing Debuff State Polymorph
    Bolts None BOLT07 Flasher Master Bruiser Mate Debuff State Stun
    Bolts None BOLT08 Blessed Bolt Slay Type Rakshasa
    Bolts None DWBOLT01 Drow Bolt of Sleep Debuff State Sleep
    Bolts None DWBOLT02 Drow Bolt of Stunning Debuff State Stun
    Bolts None KUOBOLT Kuo-toan Bolt Debuff State Stun
    Bolts None SAHBOLT Paralytic Bolt Debuff State Stun
    Bullets None BULL04 Sunstone Bullet +1 Damage Instant Fire

List continues in the next post.
    TYPE          PROFICIENCY                 RESSOURCE NAME                              EFF1    EFF2       EFF3
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff OHBSTAF1 Stirv's Wrangler +2 Ability Spell Otiluke's Resilient Sphere
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff NPSTAF Staff of the High Forest +2 Buff Statistics Regeneration
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff RODS04 Rod of Smiting Slay Type Golem
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff RODS04 Rod of Smiting Damage Type Golem
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff RODS05 Rod of Terror Debuff State Fear
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff STAF05 Staff of Striking +3 Damage Instant Crushing
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff STAF09 Staff of Command Ability Spell Domination
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff STAF10 Staff of Curing Buff Statistics Armor
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff STAF10 Staff of Curing Ability Spell Cure
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff STAF11 Staff of the Magi Buff Statistics Armor
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff STAF11 Staff of the Magi Buff Statistics Saves
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff STAF11 Staff of the Magi Buff State Invisibility
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff STAF11 Staff of the Magi Buff State Charm
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff STAF11 Staff of the Magi Buff State Protection From Evil
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff STAF11 Staff of the Magi Debuff State Dispel
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff STAF11 Staff of the Magi Ability Spell Firebolt
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff STAF11 Staff of the Magi Ability Spell Spelltrap
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff STAF12 Staff of Power Buff Statistics Armor
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff STAF12 Staff of Power Buff Statistics Saves
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff STAF12 Staff of Power Ability Spell Parabolt
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff STAF12 Staff of Power Ability Spell Globe of Invulnerability
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff STAF13 Staff of Thunder and Lightning +2 Ability Spell Lightning Bolt
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff STAF13 Staff of Thunder and Lightning +2 Ability Spell Call Lightning
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff STAF13 Staff of Thunder and Lightning +2 Debuff State Stun
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff STAF14 Staff of the Woodlands +4 Buff Statistics Armor
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff STAF14 Staff of the Woodlands +4 Buff Statistics Saves
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff STAF14 Staff of the Woodlands +4 Ability Spell Summon Shambling Mound
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff STAF14 Staff of the Woodlands +4 Ability Spell Enhanced Charm Animal
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff STAF15 Staff of Air +2 Slay Type Elemental Air
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff STAF15 Staff of Air +2 Ability Spell Summon Lesser Air Elemental
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff STAF15 Staff of Air +2 Ability Spell Sleep Cloud
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff STAF16 Staff of Earth +2 Slay Type Elemental Earth
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff STAF16 Staff of Earth +2 Ability Spell Summon Lesser Earth Elemental
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff STAF16 Staff of Earth +2 Ability Spell Stone to Flesh
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff STAF17 Staff of Fire +2 Slay Type Elemental Fire
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff STAF17 Staff of Fire +2 Ability Spell Summon Lesser Fire Elemental
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff STAF17 Staff of Fire +2 Ability Spell Fireshield
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff STAF22 Staff of the Ram +6 Debuff State Knock Back
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff STAF22 Staff of the Ram +6 Damage Instant Crushing
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff STAF22 Staff of the Ram +6 Damage Instant Piercing
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff STAF23 Serpent Shaft Damage Over Time Poison
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff STAFN1 Neera's Staff +1 Damage Instant Fire
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff WASTAFF Staff of Arundel +3 Buff Resistance Fire
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff WASTAFF Staff of Arundel +3 Buff Resistance Cold
    Quarterstaves Quarterstaff WASTAFF Staff of Arundel +3 Buff Statistics Memorize
    Large swords Scimitar/Wakizashi/Ninjatō OHRSW1H1 Hawksight +2 Buff Statistics Dexterity
    Large swords Scimitar/Wakizashi/Ninjatō SW1H15 Icingdeath +3 Buff Resistance Fire
    Large swords Scimitar/Wakizashi/Ninjatō SW1H16 Twinkle +3 Buff Statistics Armor
    Large swords Scimitar/Wakizashi/Ninjatō SW1H30 Belm +2 Buff Statistics Attacks
    Large swords Scimitar/Wakizashi/Ninjatō SW1H67 Usuno's Blade +4 Damage Instant Electricity
    Large swords Scimitar/Wakizashi/Ninjatō SW1H69 Spectral Brand +5 Buff State Negative Plan Protection
    Large swords Scimitar/Wakizashi/Ninjatō SW1H69 Spectral Brand +5 Ability Spell Armor Piercing Strike
    Large swords Scimitar/Wakizashi/Ninjatō SW1H69 Spectral Brand +5 Ability Spell Summon Spectral Blade
    Large swords Scimitar/Wakizashi/Ninjatō WANINJA Scarlet Ninja-Tō +3 Buff Statistics Attacks
    Large swords Scimitar/Wakizashi/Ninjatō WANINJA Scarlet Ninja-Tō +3 Damage Over Time Poison
    Small swords Scimitar/Wakizashi/Ninjatō SW1H66 Yamato +4 Buff Statistics Armor
    Small swords Scimitar/Wakizashi/Ninjatō WAWAK Kachiko's Wakizashi +3 Debuff Statistics Wisdom
    Small swords Short Sword NPSW01 Sword of Arvoreen +2 Buff State Slow
    Small swords Short Sword NPSW01 Sword of Arvoreen +2 Buff State Stun
    Small swords Short Sword NPSW01 Sword of Arvoreen +2 Debuff Statistics Movement
    Small swords Short Sword NPSW05 Entropy +2 Damage Instant Poison
    Small swords Short Sword NPSW06 Chaos Blade Debuff Statistics Dexterity
    Small swords Short Sword SW1H25 Kundane +2 Buff Statistics Attacks
    Small swords Short Sword SW1H26 Ilbratha +1 Ability Spell Mirror Image
    Small swords Short Sword SW1H27 Arbane's Sword of Agility +2 Buff State Hold
    Small swords Short Sword SW1H27 Arbane's Sword of Agility +2 Ability Spell Haste
    Small swords Short Sword SW1H59 Short Sword of Mask +5 Debuff Statistics Level
    Small swords Short Sword SW1H59 Short Sword of Mask +5 Debuff State Entangle
    Bows Shortbow BOW14 Tuigan Bow +1 Buff Statistics Attacks
    Bows Shortbow BOW19 Shortbow of Gesen Buff Resistance Electricity
    Bows Shortbow BOW19 Shortbow of Gesen Damage Instant Piercing
    Bows Shortbow BOW21 Darkfire Bow +5 Buff Resistance Fire
    Bows Shortbow BOW21 Darkfire Bow +5 Buff Resistance Cold
    Bows Shortbow BOW21 Darkfire Bow +5 Ability Spell Improved Haste
    Slings Sling OHNSLNG1 Wild Sling +1 Debuff State Wild Surge
    Slings Sling OHRSLNG1 Lupine Sling +2 Debuff State Disease
    Slings Sling SLNG06 Sling of Arvoreen +4 Ability Spell Sonic Boom
    Slings Sling SLNG07 Sling of Seeking +1 Damage Instant Missile
    Slings Sling SLNG09 Erinne Sling +5 Ability Spell Create +4 Bullets
    Spears Spear SPER07 Spear of the Unicorn +2 Buff State Charm
    Spears Spear SPER07 Spear of the Unicorn +2 Buff State Hold
    Spears Spear SPER07 Spear of the Unicorn +2 Buff Statistics Saves
    Spears Spear SPER08 Impaler +3 Damage Instant Piercing
    Spears Spear SPER09 Halcyon +1 Damage Instant Electricity
    Spears Spear SPER10 Spear of Withering +4 Damage Instant Poison
    Spears Spear SPER12 Ixil's Spike +6 Buff State Free Action
    Spears Spear SPER12 Ixil's Spike +6 Debuff State Sleep
    Spears Spear SPER12 Ixil's Spike +6 Damage Over Time Piercing
    Spears Spear WASPEAR Spear of Kuldahar +3 Buff Statistics Hit Points
    Large swords Two-Handed Sword BDSW2H01 Dragon Blade +3 Buff Statistics Critical
    Large swords Two-Handed Sword BDSW2H01 Dragon Blade +3 Damage Instant Cold
    Large swords Two-Handed Sword BDSW2H01 Dragon Blade +3 Debuff State Slow
    Large swords Two-Handed Sword CDSW2H07 Harbinger +3 Damage Instant Fire
    Large swords Two-Handed Sword CDSW2H07 Harbinger +3 Slay Type Ogre
    Large swords Two-Handed Sword NPSW03 Hallowed Redeemer +2 Damage Instant Magic
    Large swords Two-Handed Sword OHDSW2HA Abyssal Blade Damage Type Demon
    Large swords Two-Handed Sword OHDSW2HA Abyssal Blade Damage Type Good
    Large swords Two-Handed Sword OHDSW2HA Abyssal Blade Buff Statistics Dexterity
    Large swords Two-Handed Sword OHREAVER Ir'revrykal +5 Buff State Charm
    Large swords Two-Handed Sword OHREAVER Ir'revrykal +5 Debuff State Dispel
    Large swords Two-Handed Sword OHREAVER Ir'revrykal +5 Damage Type Good
    Large swords Two-Handed Sword SW2H08 Soul Reaver +4 Debuff Statistics Hit
    Large swords Two-Handed Sword SW2H12 Flame of the North +2 Buff Resistance Magic
    Large swords Two-Handed Sword SW2H12 Flame of the North +2 Damage Type Evil Chaotic
    Large swords Two-Handed Sword SW2H14 Lilarcor Buff State Charm
    Large swords Two-Handed Sword SW2H14 Lilarcor Buff State Confusion
    Large swords Two-Handed Sword SW2H15 Silver Sword Slay Type All
    Large swords Two-Handed Sword SW2H16 Sword of Chaos +2 Damage Statistics Hit Points
    Large swords Two-Handed Sword SW2H16 Sword of Chaos +2 Buff Statistics Hit Points
    Large swords Two-Handed Sword SW2H18 Gram the Sword of Grief +5 Buff Resistance Magic
    Large swords Two-Handed Sword SW2H18 Gram the Sword of Grief +5 Damage Instant Poison
    Large swords Two-Handed Sword SW2H18 Gram the Sword of Grief +5 Debuff Statistics Level
    Large swords Two-Handed Sword SW2H19 Carsomyr +6 Buff Resistance Magic
    Large swords Two-Handed Sword SW2H19 Carsomyr +6 Ability Spell Dispel Magic
    Large swords Two-Handed Sword SW2H19 Carsomyr +6 Damage Type Evil Chaotic
    Large swords Two-Handed Sword SW2H19 Carsomyr +6 Debuff State Dispel
    Large swords Two-Handed Sword SW2H21 Psion's Blade +5 Buff State Confusion
    Large swords Two-Handed Sword SW2H21 Psion's Blade +5 Buff State Psionics
    Large swords Two-Handed Sword SW2HD1 Rancor +1 Buff Statistics Hit
    Large swords Two-Handed Sword WAS2H Joril's Dagger +3 Debuff State Confusion
    Large swords Two-Handed Sword WAS2H Joril's Dagger +3 Damage Instant Cold
    Hammers War Hammer BDHAMM02 Voidhammer +3 Debuff Statistics Strength
    Hammers War Hammer HAMM03 Ashideena +2 Damage Instant Electricity
    Hammers War Hammer HAMM04 The Kneecapper +1 Damage Type Giant Humanoid
    Hammers War Hammer HAMM04 The Kneecapper +1 Hit Type Giant Humanoid
    Hammers War Hammer HAMM05 Borok's Fist +2 Damage Instant Electricity
    Hammers War Hammer HAMM06 Dwarven Thrower +3 Damage Type Giant
    Hammers War Hammer HAMM06 Dwarven Thrower +3 Damage Type Ogre
    Hammers War Hammer HAMM09 Crom Faeyr +5 Buff Statistics Strength
    Hammers War Hammer HAMM09 Crom Faeyr +5 Slay Type Golem
    Hammers War Hammer HAMM09 Crom Faeyr +5 Slay Type Ettin
    Hammers War Hammer HAMM09 Crom Faeyr +5 Slay Type Troll
    Hammers War Hammer HAMM09 Crom Faeyr +5 Damage Instant Electricity
    Hammers War Hammer HAMM11 Runehammer +5 Buff State Negative Plan Protection
    Hammers War Hammer HAMM11 Runehammer +5 Buff State Fear
    Hammers War Hammer HAMM11 Runehammer +5 Ability Spell Fire Giant Strength
    Hammers War Hammer HAMM11 Runehammer +5 Ability Spell Mass Cure
    Hammers War Hammer HAMM11 Runehammer +5 Slay Type Undead
    Hammers War Hammer HAMM11 Runehammer +5 Damage Type Undead
    Hammers War Hammer OHNHAMM1 The Brick +2 Damage Instant Magic
    Hammers War Hammer OHNHAMM1 The Brick +2 Debuff State Miscast
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited September 2016
    @subtledoctor I really like your analysis. You make fine points. I'll be sure to think about them when designing new items.

You're right about dual-wielding. The way it is built makes other options unattractive. That's why I thought about 2H to 1H conversion. But, in away, that's avoiding the issue. So 2H could be rethought to match the attractiveness of 2W. As of now GWW is the only ability that gives them some. Reworking this is a bit out of scope of my original idea though. I think you already did something like that with your mod, no?
  • DemivrgvsDemivrgvs Member Posts: 315
    Within IR I tried to "fix" the balance issue you guys are talking about in a few ways:
    - 2handed weapons total enchantment lvl is generally a bit higher
    - I more easily give 'while equipped' effects to 2handed weapons
    - combat abilities on 2 handed weapons are "50% more effective" (a flaming long sword does 1d4 fire dmg while a flaming greatsword does 1d6) and the % chance to trigger special effects follow more o less the same rule

P.S @subtledoctor I recently discovered all the nice new opcodes and coding possibilities offered by the last patches of EE/SoD...just wow. I'll be back with a big bang. ;)
    edited September 2016
    @subtledoctor Yes, this is beyond my original idea. I think I'll keep things simple for now. I'm glad @Demivrgvs gave his opinion on the matter. I was about to call on him to share his long experience! I'm glad you're working on a new IR, and eagerly wait to see what you have in store.

With this mod, I'll take things slowly so this will be more of a journal for the time being.