Skip to content

[MOD] Portraits Portraits Everywhere (for BG1EE, SOD, BG2EE, IWDEE, EET)

Comments

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited September 2016
    That's actually a cool feature of this mod that adds a touch of replayability and randomness to the game.

The innkeepers and commoners (and a few other groups) are assigned random portraits. These may repeat if you talk to enough innkeepers you may run into the same face.

Hey there's portraits for over 4k people in this mod :innocent: they don't all get unique portraits especially if the devs just called them "commoner" or "innkeeper".

If the dude has a name like Lorenzo the innkeeper then he would have a specific portrait.

You can reinstall and select the random option and should get different results with that specific guy.

@GrimLefourbe
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    Yeah I understood that part and so far most of the innkeeper's portraits match their sprite more or less. Some portraits don't really match the sprites however.

I was wondering if you thought about taking a look at this aspect of portraits.

It's not so different to me.

The pool of portraits for innkeepers can be installed on bg1, bg2 and IWDEE and will apply possibly randomly. There are only so many fat white bartender portraits in the world. There are not enough to go around honestly for all the named guys as well as the generic ones.

It felt right to include a couple with a bit of color as well especially because in bg2 these guys can be randomly colored sometimes meaning if you spawn multiple copies via the console you'll get different colors for the same guy.
    Fair enough, haven't got to BG2 with it yet, thanks for the explanation. (Amn is more diverse than the Sword Coast!)
    That particular portrait is from a group for bartenders and innkeepers.

If you played IWDEE, BG1EE, and BG2EE the pool

will repeat a maximum of 3 times

Here's the breakdown from my spreadsheet, this is assuming the Category Portraits are not installed randomly. If you install them randomly, they may end up with different results.

I try to keep repeat ratios low in general. The generic fighter group is huge though, currently there's 76 male portraits and they still end up repeated a few times throughout the saga. I built this with EET in mind but it can be installed on the single games separately.
  • MadrictMadrict Member Posts: 141
    Just wanted to say thanks for your work on this, it is an excellent mod. Really does add more character and feeling to NPCs in the world :)
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Yeah, this is one of those mods that feels "Must have", even for first time plays. They just add atmosphere (and don't replace anything).
    Mod is updated to version 1.01, link is in the original post.

Here's the changelog, I'll post some pictures later..

v1.01 21 Sept 16
    - Updated 57 portraits with bob_veng
    I recently finished the BGEE + SoD part of my EET run, I found one npc with no portrait, I think she's in the base game too. It's Corriana, she can be found on the southeast of the temple map, she's a stone statue. I think she doesn't come from a mod but i'm not 100% sure tbh.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    she's from the unfinished business mod

tx for feedback, keep relaying any observations or criticisms you might have, we're still trying to make it as good as possible ;)
  • MadrictMadrict Member Posts: 141
    Love this mod!

Only thing I keep noticing is the portraits used for commoners (I think they are from Diablo 3) look out of place compared to the others in the mod. Just my opinion, it keeps jumping out at me though.

I guess Diablo 3 art style has a different feel to it and for me it breaks up the consistency, where most of the other portraits all look like a similar style and quite consistent :)
    Madrict said:

Love this mod!

Only thing I keep noticing is the portraits used for commoners (I think they are from Diablo 3) look out of place compared to the others in the mod. Just my opinion, it keeps jumping out at me though.

I guess Diablo 3 art style has a different feel to it and for me it breaks up the consistency, where most of the other portraits all look like a similar style and quite consistent :)

yes, well the idea is that commoners are consistent with each other - if not consistent with the rest of the mod...

The commoners get repeated the most as well
    bg art style is very epic and commoners are not epic so no bg art style for commoners!

srsly we made an effort to avoid everyone looking like a great hero and some compromises had to be made in the area of aesthetics in order to have some sanity and thematic correctness.
    By the way, do you aim at including mod added npcs? Should I report npcs without portraits even in modded cases?
    edited September 2016
    no need to report missing pictures for mod characters since ppe is feature complete and only deals with base game content.
    if there are any plans to extend support to (specific) mods, they will be declared, but don't get your hopes up.

By the way, do you aim at including mod added npcs? Should I report npcs without portraits even in modded cases?

In an ideal world mods would include portraits for their own content - we got the base content covered here.
    I'm not sure if I agree with the logic of it tbh but it's your mod and it's already a very good mod.

Some modded characters have names and aren't recognized in categories even though they would easily fit in some category for example.

Besides, having parts of the game where almost every npc has a portrait and others parts where almost no npc has a portrait breaks the immersion and the continuity of how the game feels. I also think it'd be easier to truly mix all portraits in 1 mod rather than add portraits components to every mod that adds npcs. I'd suggest adding modded npcs "passively" ie only when reported to you with a category to be added in (only with the author's agreement maybe?).

This is just suggestion however, i'll keep using and enjoying the mod anyway.
    Logic is that I can't account for what other people do with their mods. There are specific races in the EEs but mods not made for the EEs don't follow that standard. There's an example mentioned about a race 1 (human) whose dialogue says he's a half orc. In the EEs half orcs are supposed to be race 7. So that guy pulled a human portrait. What am I supposed to do? Let's say I account for that one specific guy to be half orc then they change it someday. How many odd ball examples are out there? Probably a lot unfortunately.

So like I said I think the best thing would be for other mods makers to see the example set here and set portraits for their own npcs then it would fit it.
  • SanctiferSanctifer Member Posts: 104
    Hi !
    I love your mod, using it on IWD:EE right now, only the "core" component though

I think I'm gonna report here every little "odd" thing I stumble upon :smile:

Everard's face in Easthaven is a little too zoomed out, I modified it myself, I'll show you here so you can decide if it's valid or not
    PPE - Modified
    -

Same goes for this one here (used by Vera in the Ice salamanders museum)
    -
    edited September 2016
    Those look good to me @Sanctifier I'll include those in the next update. Adjusting aspect ratio is something I find myself continually doing in an attempt to get that unified artstyle look.
    edited September 2016
    Tx for chipping in. Keep sending input and criticism and if you have performed edits pls send those on pm so we don't burden the thread with particularities :)
    There are two important points as to why we won't be using your two admittedly reasonable fixes:
    • The resolution isn't very large so subsequent ad hoc edits/resamplings which are lossy is something that doesn't really work for us unless it's absolutely unavoidable. We're trying to save every "healthy" pixel.
    • Sometimes the faces aren't detailed enough to merit classic BG proportions. Also original portraits have a lot of detail crammed into the picture and reveal a lot of careful choices and tricks (short necks / "shoulder pads") to achieve this rich look. We often decide to have smaller heads and a bigger portion of the figure showing in order to impart more information and avoid drabness. This is the case with hundreds of portraits so these two edits won't make a difference in this regard.
    edit:
    @smeagolheart
    oops didn't see your post
    anyway - that's fine, i don't mind (srsly :D:D:D )
  • SanctiferSanctifer Member Posts: 104
    I don't mind either :p

I'll fix portraits for my game, and I'll PM them to you guys
    Then you'll decide what to do with them, no problem :)
  • Papa_LouPapa_Lou Member Posts: 263
    Currently playing through SoD with this mod for the first time. It looks amazing so far, as per usual. I did notice that the refugees didn't have portraits, perhaps they should be grouped in with the commoners?
    Also, Gar Fouleye, one of the dead goblin spirits that M'Khiin finds doesn't have a portrait, whereas the other two goblins spirits do.
    Like I've said before, this is easily one of the best mods I've used, so cheers. If I find any other characters without portraits I'll let you know!
    Thank you I'll look into it. I definitely believe the refugees are supposed to have portraits and as you said shared with commoners.
  • Papa_LouPapa_Lou Member Posts: 263
    Just finished up SoD recently. The only other characters I saw with no portraits were "The Voice", when you see Hephernaan and two other mages after breaking into Dragonspear Castle, and the few commoners that speak during your trial of sorts, back in Baldur's Gate. Hope this helps!
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by lefreut on
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by lefreut on
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    Great work, truly makes the game have even more atmosphere. I use this along side of peca's UI mod and it works real well, so thanks for making this!

Lachluger at the Red Sheaf Inn in Beregost does not have a portrait associated with him.

http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Lachluger
  • PentiumDPentiumD Member Posts: 62
    edited February 2017
    Hi just want to say your portraits rock, i'm just uploading the ports that i use a lot for female PC all from the internet and credit goes to those who drew them i just did some touch ups. Feel free to use them if you want.

By Daniel Vendrell Oduber (Vandrell)

By valeofox (DeviantART account deactivated over a year ago); image also came up as being made by Valeriya Dryzhak, who appears to be the same person, though the image has been deleted.

By Gary George Studio (1998:02:09).

(Can't find this on the internet, apparently (which is odd), no source)

Best source I can find for this is Anthony Guebels.

By Zolaida.

Gnome Wizard by Bomab.

Robes by JordanKerbow.

Study by Ni-nig.

Queen by Guangjian Huang.

"The Jester" by Jim Howle (only link is to eBay for a limited edition)

The Joker by Nakai Wen.

Portrait by NathanParkArt.

The Forbidden Fruit by Tim Löchner.

Green Magic by KateMaxpaint.
    Post edited by Troodon80 on