Skip to content

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Comments

• GozetaGozeta Member Posts: 105
    Captain America: Civil War will be released next Friday. (May 6,2016) Make sure you pre-order your tickets and enjoy the fun! ;)
    booinyoureyesDiomedes33Ziminair
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Now now, heres an interesting article about Thanos. http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/10/06/can-marvel-get-thanos-right

I think it nails the problem of writing a character like him.
    elminsterbooinyoureyes
    Also this beautiful article that explains the differences between Thanos and Darkseid. http://whenwillthehurtingstop.blogspot.it/2013/04/sir-thanos-rising-1-marvel-made-mistake.html
    Abnett and Lanning don't work together anymore. And Abnett has been hired by DC.

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited September 2016
    Lanning is largely the illustrator, is he not? I could do without him, not a fan of Gamora's stripperific costume.

Given Abnett's 2000AD history, I could see him as a good fit for DC grimdark. Unfortunately.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    edited September 2016

Now now, heres an interesting article about Thanos. http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/10/06/can-marvel-get-thanos-right

Also this beautiful article that explains the differences between Thanos and Darkseid. http://whenwillthehurtingstop.blogspot.it/2013/04/sir-thanos-rising-1-marvel-made-mistake.html

Meh, I think that we will see what they do, when they do it. Building up this whole cynicism around "If" they can do him right without knowing who will be leading the charge seems a bit premature.

If they get the correct writers and directors, I think that they very well could get him exactly right (or at least as right as the movies are going to do). Bad writers/directors and we have a problem.

As far as 'Strong villains' is concerned, I thought that Iron Monger, Red Skull and Ultron were all strong. I think that nothing precludes them from having strong villains, certainly Joss is more than capable of doing it (see Buffy the Vampire slayer for proof of that).

But I think speculation, particularly of the "they can't do it" variety particularly in light of how marvelous (pun intended) their movies have been to date is a bit self defeating and premature.

As far as Darkseid, DC has proven that they can't make a decent movie, at least since Dark Knight, so I'm not even sure why that is part of the discussion.
  • AndrewFoleyAndrewFoley Member Posts: 744
    Fardragon said:

Lanning is largely the illustrator, is he not?

He is not. Abnett and Lanning were a writing team for a number of years.

If this
    is the stripperific Gamora costume you're referring to, it was designed by her original creator, Jim Starlin, back in the '70s.

mlneveseShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    Sure, but they didn't change it, did they? Moon Dragon's outfit was no better. It was Bendis, for all his inferior writing, who put Gamora in practical body armour.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    edited September 2016
    Fardragon said:

Lanning is largely the illustrator, is he not? I could do without him, not a fan of Gamora's stripperific costume.

Given Abnett's 2000AD history, I could see him as a good fit for DC grimdark. Unfortunately.

You may like his Warhammer books like Eisenhorn and Gaunt's Ghots.

@the_spyder : I didn't like MCU Ultron very much. Not much for his quipping(Pretty much any character written by Joss is a smartass), but because he was terribly nerfed, Scarlet Witch did most of the dirty work, got his vibranium butt kicked by everybody, including Cap in a one-on-one fight and he failed to kill anyone on-screen(Quicksilver was an accident), while Comic!Ultron Always managed to give the Avengers quite a few troubles in battle and he also wiped out an entire country during Kurt Busiek's run.

Speaking of that run, i was dissapointed that AOU didn't featured a scene like this:

On a more positive note, guess who's back. https://imgur.com/a/WKG5h
    Fardragon said:

Sure, but they didn't change it, did they? Moon Dragon's outfit was no better. It was Bendis, for all his inferior writing, who put Gamora in practical body armour.

Yeah, i'm not a fan of skympy outfits either.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    @ShapiroKeatsDarkMage - Fair enough. I know that most of the heroes/villains get nerfed down for the movies. For my money i really loved Ultron.

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I wonder how they will nerf Dr. Strange. He's incredibly powerful in the comics...
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Luke Cage was incredibly disappointing.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827

Luke Cage was incredibly disappointing.

Really? I thought it was alright. It wasn't Jessica Jones good but it was better than DareDevil.
    BGLoverSanctifer
  • BGLoverBGLover Member Posts: 550
    I finished Luke Cage yesterday, and enjoyed it.

And I would agree whole heartedly with SmilingSword - not as good as Jessica Jones, but better than Daredevil.
    SmilingSword
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    Hmm I actually prefer Daredevil overall, even if the Hand was rather bad in the latter part of season 2. I can't wait for Vincent D'Onofrios return, he just captured the whole Kingpin character perfectly.

Not sure how they're going to salvage the Hand plotline though..

Next up is Iron Fist...And I have literally no idea about what to expect from that.
    Fardragon
    edited October 2016
    I agree that all the unkillable undead ninja stuff (including anything to do with Electra) in Daredevil was an error, removing it from the groundedness that the other Netflix series have managed to achieve. Concerned about Iron Fist for this reason.
  • AndrewFoleyAndrewFoley Member Posts: 744
    batoor said:

Not sure how they're going to salvage the Hand plotline though..

I've heard rumours The Hand plotline will be largely dealt with in The Defenders series on tap after Iron Fist.

The best way to deal with it would be for it to all have been a dream.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Luke Cage had terrible, over the top acting from every villain. The villains in general were unsatisfying. Stryker would just kill underlings left and right for no reason and Shades would give Stryker opportunities to kill him without a bit of resistance.

The action in Luke Cage was also bad. How many time is throwing someone across a room going to be entertaining? Jessica Jones had the same problem, but the fact that it did everything else incredibly well made that less important.

The best part of Luke Cage was Misty Knight. I hope she plays a bigger role in The Defenders.
    As someone who was bored by all the overlong Daredevil martial arts exercises, I found the "fights" in Luke Cage satisfyingly amusing.

I did find the Harlem accents somewhat impenetrable. Have to suspect that if I ever went to Harlem no one would be able to understand a word I said.
    edited October 2016
    Saw Doctor Strange yesterday, I thought I would share a few of my thoughts about the film. There are mild spoilers, but the bottom line it that it is very good, but not quite the best in the series. Certainly a step up from Age of Ultron and Civil War though. Oh, and FYI, there is both a mid-credits and an end credits scene.

The film follows pretty much the same arc as the first Iron Man film. Nothing particularly wrong with that, it's "Heroes Journey" stuff. The timescale does seem a little compressed here though, with Strange going from his accident to Sorcerer Supreme (elect) in less than a year.

Cumberbach plays arrogant very well, but he isn't so convincing at those points in the film where Strange is supposed to be a learner. To my English ears his American accent sounded a little dodgy at times. Not up to Hugh Laurie standards anyway.

The villain is the usual half-baked Marvel effort, although he at least gets some jokes.

Even with the Ancient One's gender change this is a very male film. The only two significant female characters never speak to each other. Wong becomes the librarian in this version of the story. I kept expecting him to say "ook".

Speaking of references, the Inception-like visuals are known from the trailer. There is also a sequence that is deliberately references something we have scene in Ant Man. I expect you can figure out what. There are also Elements of Empire Strikes Back, with Tilda Swinton playing Yoda. The Cloak of Levitation is fun, but is the most Disney-ish feature to appear so far in a Marvel film. Perhaps the most surprising thing though is that Strange's final resolution to the problem is very very Doctor Who-ish.

Oh yeah, Wong, if you know you have an infinity stone, I think you really need to give serious consideration to improving your security...

Post edited by Fardragon on
    I hope Gamora is more buff and badass in the new GOTG movie.

Thought process behind Thor Ragnarok.

Marvel Guy 1- ok the first Thor movie was good with a positive reaction from both fans and critics alike. Thor 2 of the other hand got an OK respond from critics and was panned by fans for haveing too much comedy and a generic doomsday villain, what can we do to make Thor 3 the best it can be.

Marvel guy 2 - I know lets add more comedy, get a director up who has only comedy movies and put him in charge. Oh and let's add in the hulk, Thor fans love the hulk.

MG1 - ok that's not a good idea, our last director was perfect for Thor 2 but due to us makeing him move away from the fantasy setting for a more comedic angle really hurt us so let's not put a comedy director in charge of an action/fantasy movie. Also Thor fans has a very distasteful attitude towards the hulk so let's not have him in it. Instead let's not have hulk in this, instead let's have amora or beta Ray bill in the movie, you know characters the fans want. Also lets get rid of Jane foster and her side kicks for this one and focus on the relashonship between Thor and his comrades in what is the end of their world and let's also build on the love between Thor and Sif.

MG 2 - cool idea I'll send that over to boss and see what he thinks.

MG 2 - great news I gave the boss my idea Insted of yours and he loved it also we are adding more hulk and comedy and it's going to be a Thor movie in name only :D

MG1: DAMNIT JEFF!
    lolien

Meh, I think that we will see what they do, when they do it. Building up this whole cynicism around "If" they can do him right without knowing who will be leading the charge seems a bit premature.

If they get the correct writers and directors, I think that they very well could get him exactly right (or at least as right as the movies are going to do). Bad writers/directors and we have a problem.

As far as 'Strong villains' is concerned, I thought that Iron Monger, Red Skull and Ultron were all strong. I think that nothing precludes them from having strong villains, certainly Joss is more than capable of doing it (see Buffy the Vampire slayer for proof of that).

But I think speculation, particularly of the "they can't do it" variety particularly in light of how marvelous (pun intended) their movies have been to date is a bit self defeating and premature.

As far as Darkseid, DC has proven that they can't make a decent movie, at least since Dark Knight, so I'm not even sure why that is part of the discussion.
    Can you really blame Thanos fans for being worried? It has been shown plenty of times throughtout recent comics, the Avengers Assemble cartoon and the Telltale GOTG game that most people Will Always ignore Jim Starlin's writings on Thanos, protraying him as a thuggish, recolored version of Blastaar or Mongul rather than the clever magnificent bastard he's supposed to bè(to say nothing of his character development).
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited February 2018
    I'm a big fan of the Marvel movies. I saw Black Panther. It was okay. Seemed a bit too long to me. I'd put it on par as a movie with Dr. Strange in the "good" category. I understand it's relevance outside the movie itself. I really liked Thor Ragnarok, to me, that was one of the best overall Marvel movies which to me was a surprise after the first two Thor movies were ok not great. Looking forward to Infinity War.

Does Black Panther have the power of energy absorbtion in the comics like he has in this movie? I guess they couldn't really have him going around and slashing all his foes up with his claws like some kind of Freddy Krueger or Wolverine or something. That would be too gory for a family movie.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Energy absorption is probably a side-effect of the vibranium. As far as I know the exo-suit is an MCU invention because the 4-color Black Panther didn't have that, just his skills.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

Energy absorption is probably a side-effect of the vibranium. As far as I know the exo-suit is an MCU invention because the 4-color Black Panther didn't have that, just his skills.

It's explained in the movie where it comes from (the vibranium suit like you suspected) but yeah that's what I thought, I didn't remember him having anything like that before. Anyway, it's a big part of his deal as a superhero as of this movie.